The Dad Experiment: Finding the Perfect Cig-a-Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has been a heavy smoker for over 40 years. He's tried many times to quit, but always ended up smoking again. I never knew it until recently, but my dad doesn't really like smoking due to the actual smoke, the smell that permeates everything, the tar, the effect heavy smoking has on oral hygiene, etc etc etc. In fact, now that pop culture frowns upon analog cigarettes, he finds them ever more the burden. But he can't stop smoking.

One day I saw a guy walking around a party I was at, brandishing a ProVari and I couldn't take my eyes off of it. I asked him all about it and a little light went on in my head. Even if my dad couldn't stop with the nicotine, at least he could get away from the smoke and all of the negatives that smoke entails.

I chatted with my dad about it and his response was, "But it doesn't even look like a cigarette." That's when I realized that his habit didn't only involve cravings, but also the look, feel and sensation of smoking. He needed something that was the same shape and size of an analog cig, that allowed him to inhale and exhale a visible cloud of smoke and hopefully had a glowing tip on the end so he could tell if it was working or not.

So I embarked upon The Great Search for the Perfect Cig-a-like of 2013. After some internet surfing, I found that there are about 10 million options to choose from. At least, that is what it felt like when I first started looking around for "the best" one to buy. I began with a starter kit from Blu Cig because, from my point of view, they all seemed the same and Blu was affordable. (All of the kits I bought were the "ultimate" or "premium" or whatever their "biggest and best" was, and they all included standard sized batteries, because these seemed to be the closest to traditional analog cigarettes.)

The result from that experiment is that my dad found out he LOVES vaping. It solves every problem that smoking presents, except one: the need for nicotine; a vast improvement from the last 40+ years of smoking. Next, my dad realized that he LOVES the flavors that the e-cigs come in. At first, he was totally against flavors; he thought they were silly. But when he actually tried them, he saw that not only could he "smoke" and still get the nicotine he needed, but he could do it while enjoying cherry or chocolate or coffee flavors. And, he could also do it around other people without offending them, and inside cars and inside houses - and that most people actually enjoyed the scents that corresponded with the flavors. Next, he found out that perfect strangers were curious and engaged him in conversation when they saw him vaping. It was actually fun to "smoke" again, and instead of repelling people, it attracted them to him. He loved the gadgets that came in the starter kit, they were like new toys. The look and feel of the Blu e-cigs were spot on, and the mobile charger came in the form of what looked like a traditional pack of cigarettes.

In the end, that experiment ended in failure because Blu hardware is cheaply made and falls apart and/or stops performing after several weeks. I'd say that the first month of use was optimal, and then it was all down hill from there. The charger and batteries barely hold charges now and many of the carts fail. This part of the experiment left my dad a little disenchanted with the whole thing because he got frustrated and also had to worry all the time that the e-cig was going to die on him.

Next, I tried a starter kit from Volt by Smokeless Image. This was quite a departure from Blu because all of the hardware was so different. He got used to it all very quickly, though, and commenced with the vaping. He found that the flavors were weak or bland compared to the robust flavors of Blu. The batteries certainly outperformed Blu, however, and the charger seemed to perform longer as well. When it was fully assembled, the Volt e-cig is quite a bit larger than the Blu e-cig, which I imagine is why they outlast the Blu batteries. The size was easy for him to get used to, though. The carts seemed to perform similarly to Blu, except for the weak flavors.

In the end, that experiment failed also because the most important part of the kit (to a heavy smoker), the mobile charger, fell apart. I am in the process of returning it to see if they will replace it through the 3 month warranty. I have an RMA number, however it was clear that it is not guaranteed that they'll replace it. They have to "review" it first. So there is a chance that I am stuck with junky hardware, which in this case means my dad can't go out on the town with his Volt e-cig in hand, chatting people up about it, because he won't have a way to keep it charged.

Most recently, I bought the starter kit from V2. Everything about V2 is polished and flashy. They really know how to market, these people do. The kit arrived yesterday and already my dad notes that the battery life is more than double what Blu and Volt did on their best day. If these batteries hold up, we may have found a winner, but only time will tell. Also, the mobile charger charges up with a lightening quickness, unlike the Blu and Volt chargers which take many hours. One side note about V2 is that their customer services sucks. I've had issue after issue with this order, including delayed processing and shipping, missing and incorrect items being shipped, things being back-ordered, and more. If I had not been on top of this from the beginning, my order might very well still be stuck in "processing." I have found their customer service to be unapologetic and unconcerned, which is a shame since their actual products seem to be decent (so far).

If the V2 experiment also fails, I will be on the hunt for a new and exciting prospect. Cig-a-likes are very cool little things which have allowed my dad some freedom from the negatives of smoking analog cigarettes, so in the end I do not feel like any of my money has been wasted. I enjoy seeing him having fun with this habit that, for most of his life, has been a heavy burden. Also, I am disappointed to see that politics could be getting in the way of vaping in California. This has got to be the best thing that has happened to smokers in a long time and I really hate to see obstacles get in the way.

Last edited:

Statistic

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 7, 2013
United States
Thank you for sharing. I hope the V2 works out. Judging by his acceptance of e-cigs I would say your money is already very well spent. Even if it turns out that there is no perfect cigalike out there it sounds like he may be easily convinced to use a PV, if even with a bit of arm twisting :p

I don't have much experience with cigalikes aside from my failed attempt to switch to NJoy a few years ago. I will say though, I am tempted to try the Joyetech eRoll. It just looks like good hardware, but may be another example of good marketing.

If/when you reach the end of your rope just get him a provari mini and tell him it'll have to hold him over while you do more searching, lol. I'd bet it wouldn't be long before he tells you the search is over :p If he hates it you'll likely be able to sell it for nearly what they cost new.

Txaggiesaunt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 16, 2013
Texas
Hang in there. If he has already showed interest, he will come around to something bigger and better. A lot of ejuices sellers will add extra shots of flavor if you can get him to fill cartos, clearos, or attys. Peaking his interest was a huge step. Look up some videos on you tube and show them to him. Good luck and keep up the good work.:vapor:

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
Hi Owl! It's cool that you are helping your Dad break his smoking habit. I can think of nothing else that you could do that would have a more significant impact on his life; specifically his health.

While I do understand the initial draw and appeal of the cig-alike, honestly I think your best bet in the long run would be to somehow convince your Dad that the appearance doesn't matter and in fact, relegates him to inferior equipment. I understand that V2 is one of the better cig-alike products but there are far better options available in terms of equipment and they are probably less expensive as well. Much longer battery life, better performance, a huge amount of accessories available for it, etc. The only thing that can be said for the cig-alike is that it sorta looks like the real thing but even that is a stretch.

Yes, it's sad that our government does not share our enthusiasm for e-cigs; either that or they just want to get their piece of the pie ... perhaps a little of both. I know for myself, it was the only way that I was able to quit and I had tried everything out there over the years to no avail. You should consider joining CASAA. They are leading the fight to protect our right to vape and it's free to join. Here's a link:

CASAA - The Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association

Did you see that National Tobacco and V2 recently entered into a partnership agreement? This is probably NOT good news for vapers ...

In any case, I wish you well and commend your for efforts on behalf of your father!!

Vape On! :)

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
Another thought eGo 650mAh w/ CE4 Clearomizer Blister Pack Starter Kit - MyFreedomSmokes.com
and a couple of bottles of juice.

This thing is just a bit bigger than a cigalike. And buying a quality juice will give him the good flavor he loves. Also it is a mid step to a larger mod. ok ands its cheap.

Edit: In fact grab 2 kits. Still in the $30 buck range and he will have 2 batteries and 2 clearos. So one bat can charge while the other is used.

Last edited:

-iD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2010
Midwest US
eRoll. Awesome PCC, great cig-a-like form factor especially in white, super easy to use and very durable. I got two sets in January. Still on my first batt, second kit isn't even opened. My egos and mods have been gathering dust ever since. Has its own sub forum here now, check it out.

tap'd on my Google Galaxy Nexus

KC Jones

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 4, 2013
Rockwood, Tennessee, United States
The cig alike is hard one to crack i tried 808's back few years ago n gave up on em n have known people that have tried many cig types now my buddy did talk his dad into cigar style n he likes it even ended up w a epipe might not be what you're looking for but heres the one E Cigar from BOGE is rechargeable, refillable and is realistic!

-iD

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2010
Midwest US
Forgot to mention that the eRoll is an automatic, so for converting from analogs it's super natural feeling. No button to push, and since it's designed to work with the tank and atty, no concerns about juice leaking and killing the batt like with most autos. Can't say enough good about this ecig system. Literally, I haven't even CONSIDERED picking up my bigger batteries, cartos, tanks, etc. since I got it. Lol in the last two and a half years I've never stayed on one device more than a month or two before looking for something better till I got this.

tap'd on my Google Galaxy Nexus

I tell friends to look at it like this if they want to be successful in quitting, And any relatives you purchase for should also look at it like this: Changing from analog to ecigs is a lot like going from soda to diet soda; at first diet soda just doesn't cut it, but after a couple weeks, you will never go back to syrupy sodas again. It is not the same experience, and it does take a little getting used to, but once you are used to it, you will not go back to analog. I tried ecigs a couple years ago, and it just wasn't there for me. Once I was determined to give it a real try, I easily got used to the differences, and have had no desire to go back to analog.
So when buying for someone, be realistic with them, and use the diet soda analogy. Here's to success helping friends and family members. It IS worth it!

Cavediver

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Buford, Ga
owl_in_flight,
Have you actually asked your dad if he's open to something a little larger?

I read, read, and read some more before making my first purchase of an eGo 650 and clearo. I was (initially) convinced that I had to have a cig-a-like form factor to be happy, but 97% of the experience tales claimed an upgrade within a couple of weeks. That in mind, I found a local vaping store and went in with an open mind, and left with the aforementioned kit. It took all of one day before I got over the form factor issue (for the most part). The only thing I miss even a bit is hands-free smoking; the eGo setup is just a bit to long an heavy for that. That said, it's not that big of a deal, and certainly not enough to drive me back to the analogs.

Side note: My wife also smokes. She saw my kit, but didn't want to bother with going to the B&M, so she stopped in to a drug store and bought a Blu kit (she's clearly not a research and opinion fanatic like I am...). While it's got a couple of advantages, the horrid battery life is driving her nuts; she's talking about upgrading and it's only been 9 days :facepalm: Oh well. Whatever keeps her off of the analogs.

Any way it goes, I wish you the best of luck in your search, and hope your father can stay off of the analogs. It sounds like he's got the right mindset!

PS: Do understand that no matter which brand or version of the ecig you wind up with, every bit of it will eventually need to be replaced, even the batteries and chargers. None of it will last forever. By then maybe he'll be ready for that ProVari :)

PS-II: At least he's made the first step and knows that he can get behind vaping. That, above all other things, should help him through the gear trials and failures.

Last edited:

basylica

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I'd lure him in with something like the white cloud disposable (i've bought the c3 system and a handful of the disposables and I've got one as a "backup" in my laptop bag right now) the flavors are mild but good and they should be back onsale soon 10 for $30.
And buy him an ego with a clearo or two and some juice and say "use this at home when sitting infront of the tv or whatever"

betcha he'll be using the bigger battery more and more if you find the right juice!
the urge to hold the cig goes away pretty quick and it feels ODD after awhile ;)

Euphonious Nonsense

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2013
Anaheim, CA
You got him to try it and like it. THAT is the hard part. Convincing him to get a larger device will come with time. My dad was also a 40+ year smokerwith many attempts and fails under his belt. For his it was, and still is, the flavor (he smoked peach flavored cigars, and still uses the same juice he started on, peach cigar) that is important as we have worked out all other "kinks." It did take awhile for him to get comfortable with his Ego but thus far (over a year later) he hasnt touched an analog. It is stressful, as I personally know, how important it becomes for a loved one to stop smoking especially when personally you've had tremendous success quitting with vaping. To this day my mom still will not bother with vaping, maybe a cig-a-like is the answer.... Never considered as I've always felt "if its functional who cares what it looks like" even to the point of carrying a mech around as my all day device simply because its functional and reliable. (and heavy XD)

cowboysfan08

Apr 24, 2013
New York
I bought the v-2 cigs also after the other brands I had all failed on me. I tried many brands and they all had their flaws. The v-2 seemed to be the best but also started to bother me because the battery didn't seem to last long and the cartridges didn't lay long either so it got expensive. I then found star-fire cigs and they seemed to be the cheapest, best made and most like an analog. The cartridges lasted longer than the v-2, were less expensive, and came with a charging case. If the v-2's work though than all the better. But if he finds the same problems, star-fire cigs might be a great try. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread