The Different Grades of Stainless Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
304 has a higher tcr than 316 (lower resistance though) so it should be (slightly) more stable than 316. Both have worked fine for me.

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
My ocd is going berserk! If 304 (a lower number ss) is more stable than 316, then why do people claim that 410/430 is more stable than the lower numbered ss? I'm going to find a proper tcr chart if it kills me.

Reactions: Sgt. Pepper

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
My ocd is going berserk! If 304 (a lower number ss) is more stable than 316, then why do people claim that 410/430 is more stable than the lower numbered ss? I'm going to find a proper tcr chart if it kills me.
3xx and 4xx stainless steel are different "categories", for different uses. Tcr isn't a factor at all in grading ss so it's not strange really that 304 has a higher tcr than 316 (which has a higher tcr than ss317, if I remember correctly), and 430 a higher than 316.

Tcr values are discussed in this thread:
The Ultimate TCR List

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
3xx and 4xx stainless steel are different "categories", for different uses. Tcr isn't a factor at all in grading ss so it's not strange really that 304 has a higher tcr than 316 (which has a higher tcr than ss317, if I remember correctly), and 430 a higher than 316.

Tcr values are discussed in this thread:
The Ultimate TCR List

Thanks KenD. Think I'll check it out later. My brain needs a rest:blink:

Reactions: KenD

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
You can run it in wattage mode if you like. Even a mech, but watch your resistance. It's approximately half of kanthal.

Besides all of the other advantages you have mentioned with ss, that's what I like about it: you can run it in non-tc mode. I have a mod coming soon that will handle ni, ti, ss, nichrome, but I also have my sx mini m class that only does nickel and kanthal. This way when I have my tanks set-up with ss, I can use both mods without thinking about it.

thanks again, Muth.

Reactions: muth

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Besides all of the other advantages you have mentioned with ss, that's what I like about it: you can run it in non-tc mode. I have a mod coming soon that will handle ni, ti, ss, nichrome, but I also have my sx mini m class that only does nickel and kanthal. This way when I have my tanks set-up with ss, I can use both mods without thinking about it.

thanks again, Muth.
Yes sir, that's when I do my best thinking....when I don't have to:p

crisisady

Verified Member
Mar 11, 2016
Hello experts!

What do you guys think about SS Claptons with Variable Wattage?
I was wondering since there is a inner wire surrounded by many external wraps, will the inner wire gets heated up till a unhealthy range?

And also will the cleaning (dry burn & wash) be effective for SS Claptons? Since there are pockets of space within the wire itself.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Hello experts!

What do you guys think about SS Claptons with Variable Wattage?
I was wondering since there is a inner wire surrounded by many external wraps, will the inner wire gets heated up till a unhealthy range?

And also will the cleaning (dry burn & wash) be effective for SS Claptons? Since there are pockets of space within the wire itself.
Slammin"!:2cool: Haha, why not? SS works well in wattage mode, no problem. SS has got to be one of the most healthiest materials we use, so far. Not to mention, Claptons are a great vape, imo. Just be mindful of your resistance. When dry burning, pulse low. No need to crank up the power. You can use small wire brushes and lightly clean them. You can also run under warm water right after pulsing. Once should be enough. IDK about ss but kanthal weakens from the sudden temp change. Even though ss is stronger than kanthal, I'm still in the habit of running under water only once. Maybe someone here knows more about that.

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Muth, I received my ss wire from MSEC. I ordered it over the wknd, but they didn't process it until Monday. I got it on tues. afternoon. $8 was steep for postage, but at least it was overnight. I did make a single coil for my lemo and it's working well. I'm doing a dual coil in my bellus today and will see how that works. My temp control mod should be here tomorrow.:)

Haylon357

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
USA
Someone clue Mr Clueless in. (me) I have 316l 24, 26, and 28 gauge. I run dual coils a lot. Someone please give me a configuration of a good build for use in TC and in Power mode please. I hated using NI200 so I abandoned the TC concept. I'm allergic to Titanium so that was out of the question. I usually go around a 0.5 build in a single and dual coil setup when using Kanthal.

Sent from my LG V10 using Tapatalk

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
Someone clue Mr Clueless in. (me) I have 316l 24, 26, and 28 gauge. I run dual coils a lot. Someone please give me a configuration of a good build for use in TC and in Power mode please. I hated using NI200 so I abandoned the TC concept. I'm allergic to Titanium so that was out of the question. I usually go around a 0.5 build in a single and dual coil setup when using Kanthal.

I do what I do and it works. I'd be scared to give advice (however, someone may come along here), but there is a thread where that question might be more appropriate: Coil Builds

Reactions: Haylon357

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
Muth, I received my ss wire from MSEC. I ordered it over the wknd, but they didn't process it until Monday. I got it on tues. afternoon. $8 was steep for postage, but at least it was overnight. I did make a single coil for my lemo and it's working well. I'm doing a dual coil in my bellus today and will see how that works. My temp control mod should be here tomorrow.:)
I hear you on that shipping fee:eek:but I get my orders within 36 hrs. When you get your TC device I'd be interested in what you think about the comparison between using in TC and wattage modes.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA
You are right about kanthal weakening after a dry cleaning and washing. I did it and notice a 0.04 increase in resistance.

But I wash it with tap water rather than warm water so it might have experience rapid contraction.
Yes sir, you are right about the rapid contraction. Once I actually popped a coil right off the posts. Now, I make sure I'm running warm/hot water.

muth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 20, 2014
Boston, MA, USA

Hiya Haylon:)It's not too complicated; ss is about half the resistance of kanthal. So, however you built your .5 ohm coils with kanthal, double the amount for ss. Ex., your .5 single coil was probably around 4-5 wraps with 26g kanthal. You'll need around 7-8 wraps in ss. (diameter considered, too). Check Steam Engine. I'm winging it. They'll set you straight on what you need.

Coil wrapping

Reactions: Haylon357

Haylon357

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2014
USA
Hiya Haylon:)It's not too complicated; ss is about half the resistance of kanthal. So, however you built your .5 ohm coils with kanthal, double the amount for ss. Ex., your .5 single coil was probably around 4-5 wraps with 26g kanthal. You'll need around 7-8 wraps in ss. (diameter considered, too). Check Steam Engine. I'm winging it. They'll set you straight on what you need.

Coil wrapping
Thank you for the help.

jarreddizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Oxnard, CA, USA
RE: TC with wire...
THE BEST, imho, is SSV (Sweet Spot Vapors) Ti Wire. They make two versions of wire, yes make...not re-brand, for either TC or regular power (wattage/voltage). I;d give them a look if you're interested in a TC wire. It is specifically made for vaping. Ali is the maker and owner of SSV, give them a look or send them an email if you're interested.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
RE: TC with wire...
THE BEST, imho, is SSV (Sweet Spot Vapors) Ti Wire. They make two versions of wire, yes make...not re-brand, for either TC or regular power (wattage/voltage). I;d give them a look if you're interested in a TC wire. It is specifically made for vaping. Ali is the maker and owner of SSV, give them a look or send them an email if you're interested.
The SSV wire is a pure scam. The process they claim they do to the wire can't produce the results they claim, and that's from a metalurgist in the beyond ni200 thread. Get proper titanium grade 1 wire instead. Don't buy into the claims of battery rewrapers, or sellers of "specifically for vapers" wire and wick. 99% of the time it's a scam. Companies such as SSV deserve to be boycotted.

Sgt. Pepper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2011
I hear you on that shipping fee:eek:but I get my orders within 36 hrs. When you get your TC device I'd be interested in what you think about the comparison between using in TC and wattage modes.

I'm back.:D I'm getting ready to build some ss coils. I was waiting to build ss coils because I had some great builds in my attys and didn't want to mess with them. I'll tell ya what I think in the coming days.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread