The e-cig that goes BOOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
It happens a least once per 2 weeks in the news. The press loves it, it makes for excellent titles: "ecig explodes in womens face! Husband furious, women won't shut up about it, husband commits suicide."

A quick google image search is enough to show that it is always the same kind of ecigs that explodes: The cheap, knock off, eGo clones.

I think this issue should be addressed. Starting here on ECF. What are your thoughts?

I suggest that we stop recommending and warn new vapers about these cheap eGo knock-offs... Spinner knock-offs and all other cheap, eGo like crap in the same way that we don't recommend buying unbranded ICR batteries and so on.

If you are going to recommend an eGo-twist for example, why not emphasize: Buy a genuine joyetech eGo-Twist, stay away from the rest.

Anyway.... just my :2c:

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Well I've not seen anything about exploding ecigs in the news at all. I don't go looking for it either. I do remember stories in the past about cell phone batteries exploding on people, but no government agency ever cranked up a crusade against those. I guess there was no money in that.

Google it <--------- Click here

:D

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That's what I try to do. Good Starter Setup for a Beginning Vaper I mention Vision and Joytech. Maybe I should add "genuine" to the recommendation?

I think we veterans have done a good job of steering vapers away from protected ICR Li-ion batteries and towards safe-chemistry IMR Li-Mn batteries. You bring up a good point about doing the same for eGo batteries. There seems to be more battery incidents with eGo class batteries and chargers than with the replaceable-rechargeable batteries used in mods. Perhaps this is because eGos are mostly used by beginning vapers, and the mod batteries are generally used by more advanced vapers. Hopefully the more advanced vapers have picked up some safe battery habits by the time they have moved on up to mods.

There's a common misconception about "eGo". It is a class of battery, not a brand name. Brand name eGo's are made by Vision (Spinners) and Joytech (Twists).

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Perhaps this is because eGos are mostly used by beginning vapers, and the mod batteries are generally used by more advanced vapers.

That might be the case but I don't think so. My guess is that (some) unbranded eGo's are built with unsuitable batteries. They often explode while charging which tells me that they are lacking proper protection. They got over-discharge and then when you charge em up, they vent. They probably can't handle any kind of usable amperage either....

That's only speculations, of course.

jefsview

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 2, 2013
Crete, Il
You see the cheap knock-off Ego batteries in the news because they are the most readily available, i.e. blister packs at the local gas station/smoke shop.

I haven't handled the new "professional" ones from Mystic now entering the convenience stores to know if those are any better.

If the people in those news stories even heard of ECF, I would be shocked. More than likely it's something bought locally, quickly, cheaply.

VapeMeStoopid

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
USUK
I've seen pics of Egos with Nails shoved inside to give them extra weight, smaller batteries inserted ect. Egos are best from branded trusted suppliers, Bauway, Kanger, Joyetech, Vision. I won't buy egos (even though I still use them occasionally) unless they are direct from the seller or an authorized retailer.

Speaking of which, stopped in a local B&M today and had to *sigh* Another company selling cheap e-liquids at high prices and after looking at their kits, was able to tell they were pretty cheapo. The guy even commented on my SVD and said Yea we dont have anything that would work with something like that!"

Defiantly always research what your buying from who before committing. This place is an endless supply of advice and nudges in the right direction.

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys
That might be the case but I don't think so. My guess is that (some) unbranded eGo's are built with unsuitable batteries. They often explode while charging which tells me that they are lacking proper protection. They got over-discharge and then when you charge em up, they vent. They probably can't handle any kind of usable amperage either....

That's only speculations, of course.
Absolutely. Another problem are the eGo batteries being left in a closed up automobile while charging. BOOM !!!

Steam Turbine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Montreal Quebec Canada
Why does ECF have the same few supposed vapers start threads on some negative media BS story and thus gives the story internet juice? Who needs enemies with these "friends"

Yeah, we should only talk about flowers and pretty things.
troll.jpeg

Last edited:

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
I don't get this at all. Let use another product. It has been around awhile and contributes to many deaths worldwide every year. They are similar that many of these death are because of "faulty" users. No one has thought to ban it. Now we come along and find that one manufacturer was deliberately producing them with a defect that contributed directly to killing 12 people. They have been bailed out by the taxpayers. They have cost the taxpayers billions as does the product.

Why do we keep electing idiots to govern us? Don't ban the product.. Hold people responsible for their actions or inactions.

Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes.1 The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion.

CDC - Impaired Driving Facts - Motor Vehicle Safety - Injury Center

Ban autos and alcohol..

optsmk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2009
Pleasanton, Ca.
I suppose anything with a battery in it has the potential to fail in a bad way.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=phone%20explodes
The only cure I can think of is to ban everything with a battery in it. And while we are at it, we might as well ban other things that are not safe for us. In fact, if we ban everything that could be even the slightest bit harmful to us, the world would be a much safer place for us to live. Just imagine how wonderful our world would be if we couldn't drive, ride a motorcycle, drink alcohol, fly in an airplane, cook dinner, vacuum our carpets, shave, bathe or shower, have a life saving medical operation etc... After all, these are all life endangering things that could lead to a life changing event. We can rest assured almost as if God himself swooped down and protected all of us leaving us no choice but to not use are own brains and think.

OK, so that might be a bit sarcastic, but Jesus effing Christ people. Come on... Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread