The e-LVT. The Really Tough but not close to being waterproof, Mod. Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstjoehere

Jun 1, 2014
Wv, usa
They warn you in the literature that this device is not meant to be submerged in water. I think they should have advertised it as water resistant not water proof. For the accidental splash or if your out in the rain but definitely not to be submerged. They also sell another unit similar to this but I think it goes up to 30 watts and has some other options as well.

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
They warn you in the literature that this device is not meant to be submerged in water. I think they should have advertised it as water resistant not water proof. For the accidental splash or if your out in the rain but definitely not to be submerged. They also sell another unit similar to this but I think it goes up to 30 watts and has some other options as well.

I think the biggest problem is with translation of languages. I can't understand why the Chinese won't pay an American or someone who primarily speaks English to proofread and edit their manuals & packaging. I could have edited their manual in 30 minutes or so probably and made it read normal to English speakers. I don't know what their problem is.

rc3po

ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2014
Texas
LoL, I can't even remember why or how I came to be on this thread but it's been a fun and informative read. I must say that was a brave review! You should do videos, they would be priceless!!

Yeah it is. He says he messed it up & can't use it, and then turns around and acts like he's been using it and it's a pos. Then he has the gall to say that submerging it into his putrid toilet had no effect on the mod. Should I believe any review that he makes?
Now Robert Ellis has a vid on you-tube where he drops it into his toilet. Of course, he dried it out pretty good and it worked ok.
Most people let people get away with that crap & sometimes I do as well because I just don't want to waste my time. But sometimes I just can't help it - it just has to be done.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Yeah it is. He says he messed it up & can't use it, and then turns around and acts like he's been using it and it's a pos. Then he has the gall to say that submerging it into his putrid toilet had no effect on the mod. Should I believe any review that he makes?
Now Robert Ellis has a vid on you-tube where he drops it into his toilet. Of course, he dried it out pretty good and it worked ok.
Most people let people get away with that crap & sometimes I do as well because I just don't want to waste my time. But sometimes I just can't help it - it just has to be done.

The reason the review is so schizophrenic is because it was written in real time. I was writing stuff as I was doing it. I realize now, that is not the best way to write a review.

I knew going into this that it was not "rated" to be sumbersible. In fact the actual IPX rating this thing had was pathetic. The fact that they ruggedized it and such and then put such a low IPX rating should have warned me.

Then there were all the youtube videos of people driving it through the carwash, running over it in their car, spilling their drink and plucking it into a "fishbowl".

So I figured, if that's how they were "unofficially" marketing it, I might as well try it in the same manner.

So I take full responsibility in destroying the unit, but that does not absolve the company from putting out those youtube videos showing people abuse the hell out of it and then simply puffing on it afterwards.

I have since moved to a ProVari, which I also did a dunk test on. I simply opened it up and let it dry out and it continues work flawlessly. The E-LVT by it's very design is almost impossible to dry out without complete disassembly. In fact it was during that disassembly that I started seeing the "shortcuts" the manufacturer made with the product. The lack of sealant near the adjustable 510 connector, the lack of seal between the battery compartment and the internal component of the device. The fact that the LED lens was merely connected using "sticky tape".

What we had was a $30 dollar mod that had been rubberized and given the minumum IPX rating you can give so that people who did not know what an IPX rating was would be impressed. and then charging 3 times the amount of what it was worth.

Ironically, the ProVari has no such ratings, yet was clearly designed to survive submersion. The open design of the tube, the sealant they use on the boards, the LED's they use. All designed to survive an accidental tumble into a puddle, or toilet.

From now on, If I'm gonna pay upwards to a $100 bucks for a Mod (which I did because I got one when it first came out), it's going to be a ProVari....That's the one thing the E-LVT did for me that was good.....It got me looking seriously at the ProVari....

And by the way....If you read my final analysis, I deep sixed the device for reasons not even related to it's water resistance or lack thereof:

1. Short Battery Life per charge with no easy way to swap out batteries (unless you carry around a hex driver)
2. Bad USB port cover prevented easy charging on my unit, it kept trying to pop my MicroUSB charger out.
3. The USB port location made for awkward use during passthrough mode.

And finally, I don't know why you're panties are so tightly wound. I documented everything I did and explained how the device fared, and like another former member here said, when you take it apart, you see that the whole IPX thing is a sham. There's no attempt to make it water resistant at all.

That's what reviews are all about, Even you admitted that they should not have put an IPX rating on the device or called it waterproof. It's not even water resistant. No more so than any other electronic device.

And yeah...That toilet was putrid......... :D

Last edited:
Is it to late to say I got my elvt 3 weeks ago and I personally love it and I think its betterthen the mvp2?
I have a couple problems with this review
1. The battery door dose NOT get in the way of the usb micro charge port idk maybe its just me and my magic plug in powers are up to par.
2. It is very water resistant" it is not toilet or car wash or ocean proof? Judgeing it like that is kind of wonky and unfair because on the firestone website they evendisclose this info on the devices water resistant features (please dont completely submerge in water)
3.I chain vape my elvt and get about a day and a half of vaping on 10 watts 18650 2000mah battery and yes it only charges to 4.1v threw micro usb thats pretty good battery life in my opinion.
4. If you work on cars alot or out during the night the led flashlight is a very handy feature and they probably do tack on maybe an extra 10 bucks for this it is worth it.
5.dose NOT rattlesnake on my nautilus bvc coil or protank 2 coil
6. Mvp vs car ...car wins... elvt vs MAC tool guys truck.... mac tool guy could not believe his eyes when I picked it up off the ground and started vaping away.
7.When my 18650 battery dies I can go swap it out for a new one for 10 15 bucks,
when the mvp 2 battery runs flat" well ill have to buy a new 50-60 dollhair mvp2 .

8. The elvt pays for itself over time and lets not forget a great feature, it can be used as a weapon YES the elvt can protect you.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Frankly, I'm puzzled at the fact that you used your toilet for this to begin with. Personally, I would have chosen a sink, a bucket, or even the dog's water bowl

I have no idea why anyone would do that to a device that was "water resistant" , not water-proof.

Huge difference, and ruined the credibility of the review for me.

Water resistant would be like a camera you could use outdoors and then it starts to rain a bit. or light shower, mist or dry snow.

if you wanted to submerse it, however, you'd need actual water PROOF housing (like divers use) and then expect to pay big bucks.

Ditto, water resistant watches versus water proof that you can wear under water.

http://www.carryology.com/liking/industry/waterproof-vs-water-resistant/

Last edited:
UGH... :oops:

It has long been misunderstood...

Waterproof = water-repellent, good for rain and splashes, Not 100% sealed, breathable.

Water resistant = water-tight, ok for being submerged, 100% sealed, not breathable.

If you check a scuba diver's watch it will say Water Resistant. A dress watch might (if you are lucky) will say Waterproof.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    UGH... :oops:

It has long been misunderstood...

Waterproof = water-repellent, good for rain and splashes, Not 100% sealed, breathable.

Water resistant = water-tight, ok for being submerged, 100% sealed, not breathable.

If you check a scuba diver's watch it will say Water Resistant. A dress watch might (if you are lucky) will say Waterproof.

I'm not finding any data to confirm that.

GIMike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
    I know people are saying this won't be a MVP killer because it's not waterproof/resistant whatever you call it. But I will say this much about it. I have murdered several VAMO e-cigs by having it's round body roll off of various places, and causing all kinds of fun things to happen. I wanted something sturdier that could take a few drops without being damaged. That's more important to me than the water part. I don't vape in the shower. But just searching for "rugged e-cig" or "tough e-cig", things like that, bring the name Dovpo e-LVT up. Well, and the Prodigy. I ordered mine from eBay for $63, where a used Prodigy is still in the hundreds. I know it's not a Prodigy, and for all the money I've spent on other e-cigs, I could have bought a Prodigy by now. But I like to vary it up, and while sometimes frustrating, it's been fun to have a bunch of different e-cigs. I guess it's the difference between being married to the Prodigy and just dating other devices ;)

Anyway, it's still in the vape mail, and should hopefully be arriving today according to the tracking link. I'll look at some other posts to see how people are actually liking it, unless anybody wants to respond to me here ;)

GIMike

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 15, 2009
    Around OKC, OK
    Well, I got mine in last night, and I must say, this thing is a BEAST. I can understand why it is so sturdy. Feels like it's made out of cast iron lol. If you ever get mugged, you could just throw it at the muggers head and knock them out. I think instead of a flashlight, it should come with a taser, cause that's how beastly this thing is. The buttons feel pretty solid too. Looks pretty good with my aerotank mega on it, it's a perfect fit. Too bad the tank is brushed and the mod ring is chrome. But other than that, it's pretty awesome. I'm glad I got it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread