ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B

Blkwdw86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2013
Gladewater, TX
I'm not in the EU. Although if I was, my response to them would be the same as my response to the prohibitionists here - a sternly worded letter effectively telling them what they can do with their paltry little "laws" - then do what I want anyway.

The way I see it, returning to tobacco, or accepting their insufficient "allowed alternatives" leading me straight back to tobacco, is FAR worse than any penalty they could conceivably apply. I will find ways to continue vaping in the same fashion to which I have become accustomed, and if I run afoul of the edicts decreed by some Armani-wearing nincompoop in the Capitol....too bad.

Come get me. Be sure to pack a lunch. A BIG one.

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
And the plot thickens...

This morning I read on AD.nl and on Telegraaf.nl (two major news papers here in the Netherlands) that the RIVM (Government Institution for Public Health and Environment) has come with "a report" stating that e-cigarettes are "very dangerous". The articles then go on to state a number of known side effects of nicotine, states that nicotine is dangerous for unborn babies, and goes on to claim that e-liquids contain "many toxic chemicals". No link or reference to the actual RIVM report or to any research papers, of course; just FUD...

:mad:

jpargana

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2010
Portugal
Many thanks indeed Anja !!

Petition signed...!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

About the e-mail:
IMHO, it is problably best to send a personalized text (stating your experience alone, and your opinion alone) than to send a 'formatted', massified one, and let them receive thousands of copies of the same text. I believe the impact of such text would be greater, because it would stress the fact that these are actual people adressing them, who went thru the trouble of telling them their personal story about the e-cig, and why it's important to them.

Just my 2 cents... :oops:

dick39

Oct 13, 2013
Antwerpen
And the plot thickens...

This morning I read on AD.nl and on Telegraaf.nl (two major news papers here in the Netherlands) that the RIVM (Government Institution for Public Health and Environment) has come with "a report" stating that e-cigarettes are "very dangerous". The articles then go on to state a number of known side effects of nicotine, states that nicotine is dangerous for unborn babies, and goes on to claim that e-liquids contain "many toxic chemicals". No link or reference to the actual RIVM report or to any research papers, of course; just FUD...

:mad:
This is the text, it is in Dutch, but I will translate it later today.

http://www.rivm.nl/dsresource?objectid=rivmp:228328&type=org&disposition=inline&ns_nc=1

Ridiculous text, I do not know that i have to smile or to cry, if that are the conclusion of a "Government Institution".
Nicotine is indeed dangerous for unborn babies, and what about tobacco, alcohol, cafeine....

In a few years no more coffee, no more tea, no more alcohol, no more sugar, no more sweeteners.
What about mobile phones? What about cars?

So we better stop living, because the air we breath in is polluted.....

A Government Institution, are they afraid of the vapers, that they start a war through the media?

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
Loenen, GLD, NL
I'm currently in touch with a writer for De Correspondent, a new Dutch online newspaper. He's an expert on conflicts of interest, the EU and lobbying and is very interested in this story. We're having some trouble identifying the names of the people responsible for this new EC proposal and the exact date, time and location of the next discussions on the subject; the reporter in question would like to be present and ask his stinging questions to the right people...

I've also been looking, of course, but can't really find any concrete information. Could anybody point me in the right direction? I remember having seen the date "December 3rd" somewhere but I can't find it anymore...

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
Admin
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    I think clive's blog post has the best source of information for this;

"the aim is to complete the process at the Health Council on 10 December following trilogue on 3 Dec, but if they can’t reach agreement at that point they have the option to have a further trilogue discussion on 16th and take it to the main Council (Heads of State and Government) on 17/18th. The one on 16th I think runs into the night. "

They just don’t get it – Commission proposal for the regulation of e-cigarettes « The counterfactual

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
    Admin
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    This might be useful too, the Lithuanian presidency asked for the report - and PMI are the country's second biggest tax payer, and a top 10 investor.

http://www.investlithuania.com/files/files/PDF/philip_morris_in_lithuania.pdf
    Lithuania hopes to get payments for seized smuggled Philip Morris cigarettes | en.15min.lt

Actually thinking about it more, this is actually huge isn't it?

Lithuania being the only country in the EU to have banned ecigs outright... then asking for a proposal that would essentially do the same for the rest of Europe?

jpargana

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2010
    Portugal
    (...)
    We're having some trouble identifying the names of the people responsible for this new EC proposal and the exact date, time and location of the next discussions on the subject; the reporter in question would like to be present and ask his stinging questions to the right people...

I've also been looking, of course, but can't really find any concrete information.
    (...)

That's what really makes me mad!!

We pay our taxes so that those leeches can have a great live... they were supposed to be representing us!

Why so much secrecy? We should have the right to be readily and properly informed about everything they're up to, right?

Instead, they start scheming in our backs, protecting their own private agenda, and pretending there are not around 12 million voters in the EU who vape...!

Grrrrrrr !!!!

jpargana

ECF Veteran
    Mar 5, 2010
    Portugal
    This might be useful too, the Lithuanian presidency asked for the report - and PMI are the country's second biggest tax payer, and a top 10 investor.

http://www.investlithuania.com/files/files/PDF/philip_morris_in_lithuania.pdf
    Lithuania hopes to get payments for seized smuggled Philip Morris cigarettes | en.15min.lt

Actually thinking about it more, this is actually huge isn't it?

Lithuania being the only country in the EU to have banned ecigs outright... then asking for a proposal that would essentially do the same for the rest of Europe?

It is bad already that Lithuanian politicians had no trouble in possibly killing fellow countrymen who will return to smoking.

Trying to do the same thing to everyone else? It's like the snus ban all over again... money over human lives...!

:facepalm:

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
    Loenen, GLD, NL
    Holy Mother of God... It turns out that the RIVM (Government Institution for Public Health and Environment) has ties to Big Pharma. Now the monkey comes out of the sleeve, as we say here in Holland.

Usually I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I'm going to make myself a tin foil hat tonight. With a chimney so my vapor can escape.

Albantar

Oct 16, 2013
    Loenen, GLD, NL
    Well, I found this on another web site; I'll translate it because the original was mostly in Dutch:

Okay, lets verify the integrity of our RIVM. Read below and pass your own judgement. Please take your time to go through everything, otherwise you won't understand it:

At the bottom of the e-cig factsheet, we find:
    Published by:
    Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu
    Postbus 1 | 3720 BA Bilthoven
    Home - Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu
    Tabak - Rijksinstituut voor Volksgezondheid en Milieu
    tobaccoresearch@rivm.nl

Right, this is where I find that RIVM is a service of our VWS Ministry (Public Health, Social Services and Sports) : Diensten en instellingen | Ministerie van Volksgezondheid, Welzijn en Sport | Rijksoverheid.nl

Lets take a closer look at RIVM's tobaccoresearch, starting with:

WHO launches partnership with the pharmaceuticals industry to help smokers quit

WHO launches partnership with the pharmaceutical industry to help smokers quit

“The WHO European Partnership Project on Tobacco Dependence is being set up with the objective of reducing tobacco related death and disease among smokers. The Partnership Project, which is open to both private, non-commercial and public sector partners, will support implementation of the key strategic goals of the World Health Organization’s Tobacco Free Initiative.

“The strength of the Partnership Project lies in the fact that it has brought together three major pharmaceutical companies, Glaxo Wellcome, Novartis Consumer Health and Pharmacia & Upjohn, all manufacturers of treatment products for tobacco dependence, to support a common goal that will have a significant impact on public health. The Project provides a model which can provide a basis for future partnerships with the private sector in other important health areas.”

Here's some information on the WHO Tobacco Free Initiative, which mentions RIVM (please bear with us, we'll get to the point later.)
    http://www.who.int/tobacco/global_interaction/toblabnet/history/en/index.html
    They cooperate with:
    WHO | Who we work with
    Here we see, among others, “Globalink”, shiver, shiver: THE international ANTZ network.

And now we get to the point by linking all of those with the RIVM:
    WHO | WHO Collaborating Centre for Tobacco Product Regulation and Control
    And for dessert:
    WHO | Antoon Opperhuizen, MSc, PhD
    - See more at: De E-sigaretten Factsheet van het RIVM | Acvoda

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread