The "InBuzzgence" or "MegaBuzz"

Status
Not open for further replies.

boz

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
OK gang. I bought an Indulgence a while back and was using it with 2 x 18350s and a VV screwon attachment from Buzz. I also have (had) a Buzz. Now, my Indulgence started to develop the dreaded faulty button syndrome and my VV attachment packed it in (again, but I can't be stuffed sending it back again so I'll eat it).

So all this got me thinking (bad news for my Mrs.) and I decided to Frankenstein a new mod.

Concept:

1. Pull out the guts of the Buzz.
2. Pull apart the switch section of the Indulgence.
are you seeing where I'm going with this yet? :laugh:
3. Modify the Indulgence switch section to accept the Buzz electronics.
4. Put it all togeather.
5. Enjoy the versatility of the Buzz with the the power of 2 x 18350 1200mah batts. instead of the tiny 123 750mahs I'd been using in the Buzz body.

Problems:

1. Getting the electronics out of the Buzz tube. I have no idea how Buzz gets these units into the tube because I had to do major surgery to get them out. Not for the faint of heart and definitely much patience required. Otherwise, say goodbye to your Buzz. As it stands, you say goodbye to your Buzz by the time you have completed your butchering, I mean surgery, on the body to get the guts out. But perseverance wins out and with some creative thinking you can remove the electronics without destroying anything.
2. Modifying the switch body of the Indulgence to take the Buzz electronics. Really, I used simple Greek geometry and eyeballing to located the positions to drill for the led, VV screw and most importantly (because you have no room to play with here, it has to be spot on) the earth screw to heatsink hole with countersink. The first two are no drama as you can simply use a larger drill bit and you pretty much get in the ballpark. Mine were spot on for all holes, but your mileage may vary. Remember, place most of your calculations on the earth/heat sink screw hole, this is the most important hole.
3. How to attach the positive wire to the Indulgence positive terminal. Well, this took me most of the time to think of how to do this. The unit is a screw in plastic holder with a brass pin that is pushed up with a spring that was pushed up by the original switch button in the Indulgence. Now we don't have anything to push that spring (because we pulled the switch out of the unit) so thinking cap went on. After much imagining I came up with a working technique. What I did was remove the plastic unit, then pulled the spring out. Now I filed down the plastic thread on the inside side of the plastic unit so the brass pin would come out. I then soldered the round lug from the Buzz electronics onto the base of the brass pin (be sure to be exact, otherwise the pin wont go back into the plastic.

Putting it all together:

1. I had to cut a channel into the Indulgence switch housing so that the Buzz electronics would slide in. Otherwise the power switch is too high and you can't slide everything in. First, you screw your white plastic contact holder back in to the top of the Indulgence switch unit to the correct height. You now have a nice hole inside that you slide your pre soldered brass contact with the positive wire from the Buzz electronics into. As you slide this in make sure it centers and the brass pin comes out the end of the switch unit. The stiffness of the wire soldered to the brass pin acts like a spring thus making good contact with the screw on atty units.
2. You continue to push in your electronics now until you locate the earth/ground hole in the heatsink and line it up nicely with your pre drilled hole and insert the screw. If your other two holes don't line up perfectly (but they should because you did your measurements, right :)) you have about a mill or two to play with to push the unit into position so the holes and components line up.
3. Screw all the Indulgence sections together and insert your freshly charged 18350s and vape away. :vapor:

I know this is not a normal mod and really I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that doesn't know how to dismantle things with tight tolerances. However, I am very happy with my new "InBuzzgence" or "MegaBuzz" and it only took me about an hours labour and a couple of hours thinking. Now I have a MegaBuzz, yeehaw. :2cool::vapor::laugh::evil::toast::toast:

Sorry no picture, I don't have a camera, but it just looks like an Indulgence with 3 extra holes and a channel to the fire button. I will be tidying it up tomorrow but it is getting tested for now. :vapor:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Very good uneverno, at least you able to salvage your Indulgence ala Frankenstein style. Not only did you salvage it, you made it a whole lot better. Funny just last week I was think of somehow squeezing a variable regulator in to it. Now if only I can come up with something to get this brand new Indulgence to work. Too much resistance on each contact point.

boz

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
uneverno,
Removing the switch from the V2, Did you pull the plastic back stop to remove the switch? or did you destroy it. I tried to pull it out but it is in pretty tight.
Edit: if you mean the white plastic in the base, it has two holes that you can use a pair of (I don't know what they are called) pliers that have two right angle prongs to rotate the white disk out. It is threaded. Don't break it, you will need it later, see below.

You need to run a Stanley Knife blade or sharpie blade as you would call it around the edges as the switch has a small amount of glue holding it in. Once you crack the seal, grab some semi pointy nose pliers and rotate the whole unit back and forth (or maybe I should say round and round) and it will break the seal and you will easily be able to pull it out.

If you are planning on using a switch in there you will have to attach the positive to the upper contact to the brass as it's impossible to solder to the spring. Trust me, I tried. On the bottom you can easily solder to the brass pin in the white plastic. Good luck, it's worth changing out that crappy switch, it's just draining juice and is totally unreliable.

Last edited:

boz

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Wouldn't it be easier to make and put on an extension tube for the Buzz so you can use 14500 batteries? It only adds about an in. Plus your not destroying a mod and flushing money.
Hi, as I said in my OP I did use the VV extension and two of them died. I got sick of sending it back so decided to do something more permanent.

Also, the benefits far outweigh the loss. I now have a Buzz unit in a tube that can take 2 x 18350s as well as the ability to change the atty thread types buy using the different screw on caps. With the standard Buzz you have to use small batteries that constantly need changing. In my MegaBuzz I get a full days vape on one set of batteries. So, I've converted an inefficient Indulgence unit into a great MegaBuzz unit and I'm very happy with it. Also, I love messing with .... and making something new that works.

Last edited:

breaktru

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
If you are planning on using a switch in there you will have to attach the positive to the upper contact to the brass as it's impossible to solder to the spring. Trust me, I tried. On the bottom you can easily solder to the brass pin in the white plastic. Good luck, it's worth changing out that crappy switch, it's just draining juice and is totally unreliable.

I was able to solder a ball point pen spring. See:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...unno-maybe-atomizer-video-posted-issue-2.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread