The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

30 Penny Pipe

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by asdaq, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. asdaq

asdaq Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

That is the exact capacity of the body of this pipe, not a penny more, not a penny less:

[​IMG]

As for new purchases made to complete this pipe, it is $0.30 too much, just stuff I had on hand.

A length of 13/16" OD brass tube and a turned down 3/8" brass nipple form the main body:

[​IMG]

The three holes in the top are for the switch mount, I tried to tap them for M3 screws, but only two took, so off to the tiny hardware supply:

[​IMG]

Nothing is soldered yet, a magnet pressed into the back of the stem, the switches magnet and the 18350 battery are holding it together so far. The name comes from the fit of a penny in the bottom to seal it up, which I seriously considered soldering in place, but stayed legal and drilled 2 1mm holes in the bottom for a watch spring bar isolated with heat shrink tubing:

[​IMG]

Here the soldering of the stem is done:

[​IMG]

Here the switch screws are trimmed to length. The ends are sharpened to a point and there is a matching nut below the magnet with receiving holes for the screws partially drilled into 3 faces. The nuts on the interior provide tension to the screws and keep the battery held below the level of the switch. The nuts on the exterior are to make up for the rather large holes and to lock the nuts against each other. One might wonder of the current passing through a M1.6 SS screw, but there are three in parallel.

The bottom allows for a 4mm x 1mm disc magnet, a small steel plate soldered to a brass wire isolated with heat shrink tubing:

[​IMG]

The other end passes through a piece of plastic and is soldered to a 1.2mm brass nail for the positive pin:

[​IMG]
    Now the bottom pin can be removed if needed, but is a bigger pain than unscrewing the top and removing all of those screws and nuts, which is still too much of a pain. Ideally it should charge with the battery left in:

[​IMG]

But it doesn't fit the charger. Along with a dummy battery:

[​IMG]

And who said charging isn't fun?

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

2. jamesd1628

jamesd1628 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 23, 2010
    Chattanooga/Ringgold
    Fantastic as always, asdaq.

3. northhar

northhar Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2011
    CanTheBan
    Really neat.. Like the way you walked over the issues as they came up..

In Canada, now that we dropped the penny.. only the Gov can use or dispose of them..

4. dogpound9219

dogpound9219 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jan 5, 2011
    South jersey
    I LOVE THIS! GREAT HOW TO! do u have a how to for your atty?

5. vapero

vapero Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    monterrey,mexico
    really stunning pipe!

6. itskohler

itskohler Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 16, 2014
    Aventura, FL
    I love it!

Sent from one of my many Samsung devices.

7. asdaq

Thanks much.

There was a how to somewhere for the atty, but I don't know where. This pipe uses a 12mm atty, so the materials change a bit for the 15mm one, using 10mm alu stock instead of 12. Otherwise it is basically the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. breaktru

breaktru Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

9. bapgood

bapgood Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 16, 2012
    Utah
    Love it!!! I'm very jealous of your perfect solder bead around the stem!!!

I have been thinking a Taifun GS (clone) would make a pretty good atty for a pipe, plus I got some new wood to try out.

I picked up a decent size chunk of local boxelder burl that I was told is supposed to be good for dying/staining....which is new to me....any suggestions?

[​IMG]

10. asdaq

Too kind guys.

Bap, that is not what you think it is, the solder blobs are on the inside mostly, as seen from the bottom view, and there is minimal on the exterior of the stem. However, there is a 1mm brass wire that wraps around the joint and is tacked onto the rest. Quite tricky to get the stem on first and then working around this getting the wire secured before the other side melts, all of which with a micro torch and tweezers. You can see where the wire joins in the bottom with a mil of solder in the green charger pic. :oops: There's small gaps with said wire, but shadows are advantageous and the eye falls on the wire LOL. At least it is quite sturdy.

Those little blocks look great, and exactly what I don't have here-- no solid blocks whatsoever, just drilled out shells that aren't so pipe like.... but I have got my 5/8 and 3/4 bits that could be put to use. I do have a plan for wood that just involves drilling a slightly deep battery hole and a stem hole at the right angle, and have the two intersect at the bottom of the battery hole while leaving it sealed at the bottom.

That boxelder looks great, but dying I know little about. You could go to the extreme and make it look like this:

[​IMG]

I've got some dyed desktop you could have a look at too. :) I would suggest just staining to darken it some.

If you use the Kayfun, make sure to have a hefty tilt to the body so it balances right, this atty is quite light and the one from my Bantam is just a bit longer and has a heavier driptip and it tips over.

Also it doesn't look quite right but with a longer base it is quite comfortably to hold, but that gets away from a traditional pipe shape.

11. bapgood

Apr 16, 2012
    Utah
    Asdaq!!!.....my contraption worked great for rounding the ends!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. asdaq

Sure did! Are those vertical lines the grain or from machining? How thick are the walls? That box elder looks stunning just in the raw form, oil and wax would deepen the color nicely and look very presentable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

13. bapgood

Apr 16, 2012
    Utah
    Walls about 1mm :D

Yeah the vertical lines are from machining, but they sand up easy enough.

That's actually not the boxelder, it's the buckeye.

14. asdaq

Respect. Man, I could use a lathe... you have to post more about the air dremel die grinder set up, I'm guessing there is more torque in a compressed air dremel, and it is something like a router bit, but it is still foggy.

With 1mm walls I would reinforce the crap out of them with CE finish, perhaps over oil, so they can have some structural strength.

Are you boring the holes with the lathe too? They also look very exact in their placement.

Very precise work Bap!

15. ckim0118

ckim0118 Full Member Verified Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Vacaville, ca
    Really cool, nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. bapgood

Apr 16, 2012
    Utah

The holes are bored on a drill press with a forstner bit.

The holes will be reinforced with ss tubes glued in.

The small air dia grinder is actually kind of weak. I'm sure its just from harbor freight, I have had it forever and it hasn't seen much use. The nice thing about it being air is that you don't have to worry about the motor heating up and etc like an electric. Plus I have a large!!! air supply so that's not a problem.

The bit I have been using is just a Dremel carving bit.

Here are some pics of the setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. asdaq

Thanks Bap, very good to know.

Hmm, here I have no room really for a lathe and the price is higher by 30-40%. In the states I would have access to it for ~6 weeks during summers only and not really all that much of that time. However, I do manage to get a lot out of a drill press in that time. My brother is a tool guy and he even mentioned that he might want one, but has no real need.....

18. fsors

fsors Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    USA
    nice penny pipe did you finish it yet?

19. asdaq

Hey fsors, thanks, how you been? This is it, it is done, just like you see it. It is a little small, but I don't I'll change anything on it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

20. fsors

fsors Full Member

Sep 9, 2011
    USA
    asdaq that looks really cool and lots of space for batt venting godforbid...........lol love it! where is that derjuff atty thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.