Status
Not open for further replies.

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
With the release of the Kick by Evolv, we vapers now have another choice to consider. The power regulated add-in device can change many 18650 battery mods into a power regulating PV.

Lets have a civil discussion about the evolving technology of vaping. Many new technologies continue to improve the vaping experience IMO.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Moved to Modding Forum from Variable Voltage Mods Discussion

Variable Voltage Mods Discussion in E-Cigarette Forum, General discussion about variable voltage mods - types, batteries, general questions, and all other aspects except building mods.
For construction, please use the Modding Forum.

Thank you

Last edited:

jimbalny

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2011
New York
Just got a shipping notification from Super-T today, trading someone for a Reo Grand, pretty excited to see how well it works and try out bottom feeding. From what I hear it's limited to 10 watts which is fine for me 'cuz I rarely go over 8.5

There's a bunch of people out there that say it's too low, which yah if you vape 3 ohm cartos at 5.5 volts you'd be at 9.9 watts. Some of those people who say they vape at 12 watts also aren't taking into consideration voltage under load.

What I love about the darwin is that you don't have to think about the resistance of the atomizer you're changing to - because it's going to be close to or the same heat no matter what. The unit does the ohm's law for you and adjusts the voltage accordingly. The kick works the same way.

cracker75

ECF Veteran
Dec 18, 2010
Washington State
What I love about the darwin is that you don't have to think about the resistance of the atomizer you're changing to - because it's going to be close to or the same heat no matter what. The unit does the ohm's law for you and adjusts the voltage accordingly. The kick works the same way.

I think that's really the biggest selling point for me (I ordered one today), the "set 'n forget" premise. I have dozens of carto's sitting around, it will be nice not to have to think about which ones go with what voltages, just turn it up or down.

Considering that many atties/carto's of the same resistance, vape very differently, it's one less variable to deal with.

I hope it's as good as I expect.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I got a kick coming but personally i dont like one main thing which makes me still like a variable voltage unit better . Its great and all that no matter what ohm carto/atty you throw on it will maintain the same power but i personally dont like the set it and forget it thing. Is BS imo and only good if your a one voltage vapor. I like adjusting my power up and down depending on the juice or my preference for the time of day or even when i just want a little more ot less power . When i use a VV unit all i need to do is press a button or use a wheel to raise or lower the power . With the Kick you now have to disassemble your mod to adjust it and thats just really annoying. VV gives so much more control then a internal auto wattage. The kick i barely consider variable anything since you need to take apart a mod to adjust. Trying to find the sweet spot on a juice would mean taking your mod apart multiple times just to nudge the pot up or down a little bit. With a normal variable voltage you can just turn a external wheel and do the same thing in half the time. The kick will be even more annoying on something like a reo where you have to take the battery and everything out just to turn the pot . Overall the kick is good for people who like single voltage devices but would be a pain in the .... for VV users.

Theres much faster user control with a VV device .You may argue that well whatever carto you put on the kick it will stay the same wattage ,well yes you are right but you could do the same thing in seconds by adjusting a VV plus with the VV you have the added option of adjusting on the fly.

Just my opinion and i like i said i do have a kick on the way . THe one and only thing i will give to the kick is that you can now make a 3.7v mod a changeable wattage device. That makes the kick great but not better then a already built vv device.

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I also have a Kick coming (looks like today)
lol-021.gif
and like Str8V8ping I use a VV mod more than anything else. I also like the tweaking ease of a wheel or button so it will be very interesting to see how the Kick works out for me.

oldblue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Missouri
I got a kick coming but personally i dont like one main thing which makes me still like a variable voltage unit better . Its great and all that no matter what ohm carto/atty you throw on it will maintain the same power but i personally dont like the set it and forget it thing. Is BS imo and only good if your a one voltage vapor. I like adjusting my power up and down depending on the juice or my preference for the time of day or even when i just want a little more ot less power . When i use a VV unit all i need to do is press a button or use a wheel to raise or lower the power . With the Kick you now have to disassemble your mod to adjust it and thats just really annoying. VV gives so much more control then a internal auto wattage. The kick i barely consider variable anything since you need to take apart a mod to adjust. Trying to find the sweet spot on a juice would mean taking your mod apart multiple times just to nudge the pot up or down a little bit. With a normal variable voltage you can just turn a external wheel and do the same thing in half the time. The kick will be even more annoying on something like a reo where you have to take the battery and everything out just to turn the pot . Overall the kick is good for people who like single voltage devices but would be a pain in the .... for VV users.

Theres much faster user control with a VV device .You may argue that well whatever carto you put on the kick it will stay the same wattage ,well yes you are right but you could do the same thing in seconds by adjusting a VV plus with the VV you have the added option of adjusting on the fly.

Just my opinion and i like i said i do have a kick on the way . THe one and only thing i will give to the kick is that you can now make a 3.7v mod a changeable wattage device. That makes the kick great but not better then a already built vv device.

I tweak for various reasons as well with my vv mods which is why I wait for the modders board to be released.

BJ43

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2008

I agree with you 100%, sold my Darwin. I use 100% SS wicks and they tend to short occasionally, when one or two wraps on the coil short the VW just compensates and keeps the watts the same, but 10 watts on 3 wraps is not the same as 10 watts on 5 wraps, it is much more concentrated heat and can burn the juice. I will stick to VV until a variable temperature is invented which would be the solution as each juice has its best temperature to vape.

Str8V8ping

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 10, 2011
NYC
I tweak for various reasons as well with my vv mods which is why I wait for the modders board to be released.

Is evolv coming out with a modders version of the Kick ?

My plan when my kick comes in is to remove the pot and run a display and external pot on one of my mods. This way i could use it like a normal VV device but vw

The Kick is great ,i just dont get how people say its now replaces all VV mods and is the Holy grail . Its really not . It has high points but also low points and is not replacing VV

Last edited:

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
sorry classwife... but i have to disagree with you.

I see a big difference in; two threads about the same type of item, and two thread about the EXACT same item.

wait till people start getting their Kicks in, and then everyone is going to want their own thread...

i digress.

oldblue

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Missouri
Is evolv coming out with a modders version of the Kick ?

Brandon mentioned it in this interview VTTalk with Guest Brandon Ward beginning at the 30 minute mark. If I recall correctly, he mentions having addons/peripherals available for it as well. I'm much more interested in what we see the modders board produce in terms of mod ideas than the drop in module.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread