Not open for further replies.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Agreed. FlavourArt (note the spelling) seems to be the only flavoring company that has taken a pro-active approach to actually doing real testing of their flavorings.

Personally, I use so little flavoring that I don't worry about it a whole lot, but if it were otherwise, they'd be my top choice for flavor concentrates.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Flavor art has a lot going for it, including the fact that they are fairly strong flavorings so if you wind up liking them, they're useful for DIY.

I'm afraid getting a flavoring company to tell you if their flavors are dactyl free and whatnot can be hard. Some known general offenders (I think) are (many) vanillas and some cinnamons, but for the most part, it can be a bit of a black box.

To be fair, the studies showing harmful byproducts, not all of them were extremely well done, and the dosing and heat you'd need would be pretty intense to cause your flavors to degrade (again, this is my opinion only). I can't vape vanillas, they make me hoarse, so I don't use them.

But, I also don't worry too much about it, I think in the quantities they are usually used in small enough quantities that any kind of risk is somewhat mitigated.

However, it is your body, so if you have concerns, I'd agree with those stating that Flavor Art flavors (or vendors that use them) may be your best bet.

Good luck,

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Flavor art has a lot going for it, including the fact that they are fairly strong flavorings so if you wind up liking them, they're useful for DIY.

I'm afraid getting a flavoring company to tell you if their flavors are dactyl free and whatnot can be hard. Some known general offenders (I think) are (many) vanillas and some cinnamons, but for the most part, it can be a bit of a black box.

To be fair, the studies showing harmful byproducts, not all of them were extremely well done, and the dosing and heat you'd need would be pretty intense to cause your flavors to degrade (again, this is my opinion only). I can't vape vanillas, they make me hoarse, so I don't use them.

But, I also don't worry too much about it, I think in the quantities they are usually used in small enough quantities that any kind of risk is somewhat mitigated.

However, it is your body, so if you have concerns, I'd agree with those stating that Flavor Art flavors (or vendors that use them) may be your best bet.

Good luck,

Anna

I think vanilla and cinnamon are inherent to those natural flavors, although I think can be missing in artificial substitutes like beaver .... sacks for vanilla (you needed to know that, right?). It gets into avoiding butter flavor to avoid diacetyl is safe but you may be avoiding safe flavors.

I'm with Rossum, none of my recipes are above 10% flavoring so I'm OK with TFA saying which flavors have acetoin, etc. I mark those with an X and just keep them from becoming an ADV.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Most DIY for vaping sells flavorings obtained from the various manufacturers, all but a few of them. You could check the list of DIY vendors who are vendors on ECF. I've used nicotine river quite a bit for flavorigs, and Cloud Academics can be great too. Also, I've used flavor shack and One Stop DIY for flavors, as well. It can be good to get a "taster" sized bottle if its an unfamiliar flavor. I did that and I'm glad I did, there are a few I know I will never use again.

All variable as to pricing, what's offered and etc. Also, they tend to have good sales.

Depending on what happens with the FDA, there may be more buying direct and converting to vapable form IDK, but most DIY folks will use a variety of vendors for flavors as they all have slightly different flavorings available based on what companies they work with, I guess.

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What about liquidnicotinewholesalers?
Are they trustworthy?

I don't know them. But assuming they have a brand of finished liquid they're probably not handing out their recipes for you to know who's flavors are used.

That's what I'm getting at. To be safest you need to know who's flavor and what flavors are used.
You could avoid cinnamon, vanilla and buttery flavors that mention those flavors as your simple safe answer but that doesn't mean they won't be in someone's recipe but unmentioned. Someone could also have a substitute for those flavors that is safe.
To be sure you need someone like Flavour Art who tests and doesn't sell the bad things as part of their vaping line of flavors or The Flavor Apprentice who at least says which flavors have bad things in them. I get the impression Inawera leans towards the safer vaping spectrum of flavor makers too.

The commercial eliquid sellers could be using LorAnn or some other food flavor maker who pretty much refuses to test for what we want to know because they don't want the liability of people inhaling their flavors. If the finished eliquid sellers come out and tell you what brands of flavors they use you could copy their recipes. The best you can hope for with commercial eliquids is for them to provide testing.

Last I was paying attention to all this flavors that are clean could end up testing positive after mixing and nobody could figure out why. So realize nothing is 100% safe, the main thing with vaping is to be safer than smoking. The community policing is pretty fast to call out obvious and unneeded hazards like whoever was putting titanium dioxide in their liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread