Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
[h=1]The Low Down on Nicotine and Memory[/h]

As pioneers on the forefront of one of the biggest advancements in Health since the dawn of penicillin and the discovery of coffee, we vapers are well aware of the fact that it has been revealed through numerous studies that nicotine, by itself (sans the inclusion of all those nasty carcinogens generally associated with smoking tobacco) is not only harmless but may actually increase one’s mental acuity. This is a fact that has been circulating around the e-cigarette-enthusiast community for quite some time now. However, if you’re like me, when pressed in civil debate by the proverbial “haters,” you might be hard-pressed to come up with specific data to support the claim. This article is being written to alleviate that problem and to add to our arsenal of scientifically-proven information available for immediate regurgitation when put in a position of having to defend e-cigarette technology. And even if you rarely find yourselves engaged in apologetics with members of the opposing side, this is still fascinating information that will solidify your decision to be a member of the vaping subculture.

The key to understanding just how nicotine helps brain activity, memorization, and learning is the recent discovery of OLM-alpha2 cells, known in layman’s terms as gatekeeper cells (I like to picture them with Sigourney Weaver’s face). The job of these cells is to connect to the principle cells of the hippocampus region of the brain, and to prioritize local (within the hippocampus) and long-distance (from elsewhere in the brain) circuit/thought information. Nicotine molecules activate these gatekeeper cells, thereby enabling faster and more thorough reception of circuit input. The method used to study this is called optogenetics, a relatively new field involving the stimulation of selected nerve cells with light. This controlled light affects the brain similarly to nicotine, but obviously we can’t all walk around with light sources wired into our brains (at least until the Borg invade Earth). Studies are still being done to determine exactly what types of memory and learned knowledge can be activated and streamlined through this process. Originally, the ultimate goal of these studies was to attempt to activate these gatekeeper cells artificially, without the use of nicotine because, at the time of the beginning of this particular division of neuroscience, nicotine was pretty much only available through unhealthy tobacco use. Now, however, with the onset of the electronic cigarette industry, it is becoming possible to deliver nicotine, and only nicotine, to the brain without ingestion of unwanted, harmful chemicals from tobacco smoke.... (Click here to read the rest of my article.)

blue5

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
LBC
I have been a smoker turned vaping.. My memory rivals my company's archive department... I can recall in detail every project, client, and court case the company and myself has been involved in... it gets damn right spooky when people think I am a mentat or have some form of autism... All throughout my military and civilian life I can recall stuff on the fly.. When I went to college I memorized and recall sheets and sheets of formulas and useless information I had learned.. To prove if it is nicotine, a summers ago at a family gathering.. 4 of my siblings and my grandfather .. Myself vaped, younger brother smokes, sister non-everything, older brother non-everything, grandfather nicotine patched... We played this memory game that my grandfather was fond of since we were young kids .. 3 card deck "Memory" .. Now some background, all of us are professionals in our selected careers... Lawyer, R&D, US Marshall, Detective, Military Intelligence (Ret)... Needless to say my sister and my older brother have good memories but not "Steel Trap" has my grandfather describes it... I know its not a proper test, but it is amusing in family gatherings...

jensy

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Fort Nelson, BC, Canada
I have to agree I have a very,very keen memory. When I recall conversations even if the conversation was 15-20 years ago I can recall everything including what someone was wearing right down to the jewelry they were wearing. My family and friends always love to test me on this with photo's and videos after I tell them and then they get so freaked out.

I must say my memory sure came in handy for my education. If I read it I remembered it.

DasBluCig

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 30, 2013
Chichester, NH
50-03-105-3. That was a stock number of a popular item that we sold. I left that company in the early 1980s.

I can't remember for the life of me what flavor I have in that blue Evod though.
Flashback to Dustin Hoffman in "Rain Man"......!!!:D
Happy (vaping) Trails!

^Top-Shelf^

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
Central Illinois
This is a very interesting topic, I just want to say thank you for the good read.
I also "like others have stated" have always had a great memory. Even before i started using nicotine which wasn't very many years ago. One thing that I've always been exceptionally good at remembering is the amount of money I spent on possessions including every single piece of vape gear. It would be interesting to have a survey and see how many vapors also have very good memory, feel it has gotten better over the years of nicotine use, or like me have a thirst for knowledge. I would like to think that the majority of us are pretty sharp, or at least have half a brain because we have chosen a healthier alternative to smoking.
image.jpg

blue5

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2012
LBC
My grandfather speculates that nicotine was extremely important that the military had done studies about it for decades.. He stopped smoking 20 decades ago and just been using nicotine patches and gum, and still does... He is pretty dead set it is because of nicotine why his mind is still sharp and can go head to head competition with his grandchildren

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
My grandfather speculates that nicotine was extremely important that the military had done studies about it for decades.. He stopped smoking 20 decades ago and just been using nicotine patches and gum, and still does... He is pretty dead set it is because of nicotine why his mind is still sharp and can go head to head competition with his grandchildren

How old is he?

T

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I have been a smoker turned vaping.. My memory rivals my company's archive department... I can recall in detail every project, client, and court case the company and myself has been involved in... it gets damn right spooky when people think I am a mentat or have some form of autism... All throughout my military and civilian life I can recall stuff on the fly.. When I went to college I memorized and recall sheets and sheets of formulas and useless information I had learned.. ...........................

Wow... photographic memory.
Fascinating, AND a little spooky for sure. Why, I might be willing to KILL for superpowers like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread