Is Nicotine Really Addictive, or have we been Mislead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
Similar to OP, I don't wake up now feeling the need to vape like I used to with smoking. I can even forget to vape for most of the day when I'm busy with things. I wasn't really a heavy smoker (6-12 sticks a day) but I could never go without those few sticks. I still can't stand zero nicotine juice, however. I vape juice from 4-18mg, but more often I use the ones with lower nic.

Last edited:
I have an idea it's due to the copious amounts of chemicals added to cigarettes. Cig companies throw whatever they've researched that gets nicotine into the system quicker into analogs, along with anything else that'll turn analogs more addictive.

E-Liquid, on the other hand, is a handful of ingredients, without any of those other chems.

WTA (Whole Tobacco Alkaloid) e-liquid may be of interest, if a user isn't getting the same effect with e-liquid as they were getting with analogs.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Keep in mind, there's a difference between a habit and an addiction. A habit is a learned/patterned response whereas an addiction is linked to a chemical change in the brain. Some smokers are more habitual than addicted. Just like an earlier post about folding laundry - that can't be an addiction unless the fabric softener fumes trigger a chemical reaction in your brain. That's the beauty of ecigs - you take care of the habit and part of the addiction. I, also, do not believe nicotine is the main addictive element in cigarettes. I'm perfectly happy vaping, but I still have to stomp down an urge every once in a while. I've had people tell me they still get urges even years after quitting.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
And I read Info that Talks about Nicotine in Isolation. OK. Then why do I seem to have a Hard Time going Completely to 0mg? Why Isn't everyone going to or at 0mg?

It takes that edge off of life above 0 mgs. Sorta like 1 beer or glass of wine does. Is it an addiction? Is it a habit? It's life.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
of course it's addictive- when you made your mind up to quit smoking and vape instead I am sure you crossed a mental threshold to subconsciously reduce your dependence. it allows you to not vape for longer periods than you could go without smoking. that's my story and I am sticking to it.......

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
of course it's addictive- when you made your mind up to quit smoking and vape instead I am sure you crossed a mental threshold to subconsciously reduce your dependence. it allows you to not vape for longer periods than you could go without smoking. that's my story and I am sticking to it.......

So are you saying that People can go Longer Without Vaping than they Could Without Smoking?

Because If you are, I Would Strongly Disagree with This.

This Forum is Full of Stealth Vaping Threads. And Threads were People are Bent because the Can't Vape at Work or inside Buildings.

cmdebrecht

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
Part of the mystery is the lack of solid scientific knowledge we have on the brain, and how various chemicals affect it. For some Individuals, the nic could be the most addictive element of smoking; for others it may have nothing at all to do with chemical dependence but rather a psychological dependence on the comforting aspects of the habit itself.

Per my psychiatrist, there are thousands and thousands of variables in our brain chemistry, and adding even one outside influence can set off a reaction that we will likely never fully be able to unscramble.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I think a distinct difference between caffeine and nic addiction (at least for me) is that I only need 2 cups of coffee a day. Always consumed within 2 hours after I wake up. I rare drink coffee after that. However, I cannot live without my morning cups but that's it for the day.

Nicotine is something I need to keep using throughout the day. I use 18 during the morning and then switch to 12 in the afternoon so my need for strength decreases but I can't just stop at noon and not vape for the rest of the day without feeling the need for more. Not the same with coffee. It's a chemical thing I'm sure but have no idea why the difference.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Defining "addictive" is the hard part. Believe it or not, the two most addictive substances on the planet are sugar & salt. But, just try to live without either one ... can't be done. The point is that most substances that are necessary for human survival are addictive for the very reason that they are necessary. Also believe it or not, nicotine just happens to be one of those substances necessary for human development. Without nicotine in our diet man would have never developed beyond the mental capacity of a rodent.

Last edited:

Zipslack

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 26, 2013
    Wesson, MS, USA
    zoiDman, I've read a lot of posts from people like that (stealth or bent). In most cases, it's not because they NEEDED it...it's because they expected/wanted it. Along with the old "How dare somebody tell me can't use my toys anytime and anywhere I want to?! Can't you see I'm trying to prove a point here?!" mentality. I would also go so far as to theorize that some of these people are sub-consciously satisfying their habit patterns as opposed to their nic-dependence. Remember, these are the same people that weren't allowed to smoke in these same instances and they still managed to survive.

Last edited:

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2013
    Sans Nom, USA
    The MAOI part of cigs definitely has a very serious impact on a persons mind and the power of the addiction. I was prescribed tramadol for a back injury 2 years ago. I was on it for almost 4 months. Tramadol is supposed to be a "safe and non-narcotic" painkiller. I can't do regular painkillers because they give me insomnia for whatever weird reason so my doctor recommended these "safe" pills.

They worked well with little side effects. No rubber head or anything. However, there was a distinct mood lift from them. I asked my doctor about it and he said it was me being happy that my back wasn't hurting. I wasn't even taking the recommended dose during the time I had them because i really didn't need to. It was a nightmare when I quit. I tried to stop taking them before I was even out of my prescription and I felt physically ill and mentally horrible. Worst feeling of my life.

I went to the doc and said I was experiencing some sore of intense withdrawal and he said I was crazy because tramadol doesn't have withdrawal. BS! I checked google. 100's of people like myself went through the exact same thing. I had no idea. Why is it so bad? Because apparently tramadol has an unpublicized MAOI effect on the mind. My serotonin was all screwed up. It literally took almost 2 months to feel 100% normal again and the first 5 days we're just awful. I've never experienced anything like that before and I will certainly never ever touch those things again.

Serotonin and MAOI effects on the brain is very serious business. Vaping can't replace that and it surely behind the "hollowness" we all feel while making the transition. It takes some time for the brain to stabilize without MAOI influence. It can take months. The best thing is to stick it out as best you can and break the cycle.

peterforpats

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 3, 2013
    rounding third and heading home...
    So are you saying that People can go Longer Without Vaping than they Could Without Smoking?

Because If you are, I Would Strongly Disagree with This.

This Forum is Full of Stealth Vaping Threads. And Threads were People are Bent because the Can't Vape at Work or inside Buildings.

because regardless of the nicotine level stated on the bottle , they are absorbing way less than they ever did with smoking. that and some people handle addiction differently than others. stealth vapors have an addiction to the nicotine but also to the whole process of vaping, whether they want to admit it or not.

_more_

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2012
    I don't know if its just me but I used to have a weird phenomenon happen when I was a smoker. After going about 2 hours or more without a cigarette, I could swear I smelled a cigarette burning somewhere which would then trigger my need to have a cigarette immediately. But, here is where the strange happens, there was NO CIGARETTE BURNING in my vicinity. Ever.

It took me a month of vaping and smoking to actually make the switch. My cigarette consumption gradually became less, over that month, until it was down to 2 puffs before bed. That lasted 2 nights before I said screw it and the 3rd night I went without it and finally was cigarette free.

Since I have become a 100% vaper, that phenomenon has not happened to me. Has anyone else ever experienced that phantom cig smell when they smoked? Or was I just crazy?

It happened to me but i always thought it was one of mine that i left burning somewhere. Never was though, so I would light one up immediately.

lol all phantom cig smells are gone now. They were exorcised by vapor!

Bosco

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 20, 2012
    San Antonio
    Just some anectdotal evidence for the pile . . . I feel like I am as addicted to vaping as I was to smoking. 2 hours without a vape and I start to get antsy and will make an excuse to go vape . . . same as I did with smokes.

I tried lowering my nic level but found I was constantly vaping to compensate.

Just me, anyway . .but I'm gonna try and quit vaping pretty soon (havent set an exact date yet but sometime in September) and I am dreading it!

_more_

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2012
    Addiction is a Funny thing.

Seems there is Physical Addiction. And there is Mental Addiction.

I hear people say that Nicotine is "No More Addicting that Caffeine". OK. Not sure Where or What they are Basing this on. But if it is True for a Percentage of the Population, How Addicting is Caffeine to Most People?

I know I'm not going to Give Up Coffee in the Mourning. Period. End of Report. Aint Gonna Happen.

And I read Info that Talks about Nicotine in Isolation. OK. Then why do I seem to have a Hard Time going Completely to 0mg? Why Isn't everyone going to or at 0mg?

I would be Mourning without my cup of coffee in the morning. 2 things I love the most is caffeine and nicotine. And chocolate but not everyday :)

BigBen2k

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 1, 2013
    MA, USA
    Just some anectdotal evidence for the pile . . . I feel like I am as addicted to vaping as I was to smoking. 2 hours without a vape and I start to get antsy and will make an excuse to go vape . . . same as I did with smokes.

I tried lowering my nic level but found I was constantly vaping to compensate.

Just me, anyway . .but I'm gonna try and quit vaping pretty soon (havent set an exact date yet but sometime in September) and I am dreading it!
    How long have you been off the analogs?

(btw, using the ECF banner, like the one in my sig, really helps to put your post in perspective. Click on mine, to get yours.)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    zoiDman, I've read a lot of posts from people like that (stealth or bent). In most cases, it's not because they NEEDED it...it's because they expected/wanted it. Along with the old "How dare somebody tell me can't use my toys anytime and anywhere I want to?! Can't you see I'm trying to prove a point here?!" mentality. I would also go so far as to theorize that some of these people are sub-consciously satisfying their habit patterns as opposed to their nic-dependence. Remember, these are the same people that weren't allowed to smoke in these same instances and they still managed to survive.

I really wish I could Subscribe to the Notion that it is just a Want or a Desire for Most people verses a Need, but I can't.

It is just My Opinion, and it Doesn't Apply to All People, but I think if you asked People Anonymously that the Majority would say that they Need to Vape more than they Needed to Smoke.

Yes, that's exactly right!

Give it a try. Remember getting the jitters, when smoking? Those are gone now, If you've been off the analogs for over a year. Guaranteed.

You are Certainly entitled to you Opinion. But I do Not Agree with you.

I would be Mourning without my cup of coffee in the morning. 2 things I love the most is caffeine and nicotine. And chocolate but not everyday :)

I heard that.

The ONLY Way they are going to take Coffee away from me is to Pry it From My Cold Dead Fingers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread