Is Nicotine Really Addictive, or have we been Mislead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
because regardless of the nicotine level stated on the bottle , they are absorbing way less than they ever did with smoking. that and some people handle addiction differently than others. stealth vapors have an addiction to the nicotine but also to the whole process of vaping, whether they want to admit it or not.

This is more Aligned to My Thinking.

That the Entire vaping Process is More Addiction, to Many, than was the Smoking Experience.

Could it be that it is Easier to "Stealth vape" and not be Caught than it is to Light Up a Smoke in an Grocery Store?

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I physically would need a cigarette about every 4 hours. But, the stronger urge could happen at any time because it was tied to a need to think and focus under stressful circumstances. And, it didn't matter how much nic I had in my system at the time. If I needed to think under pressure, I wanted a cigarette in my hand, period.

The urge to vape isn't as strong. But, it's still there.

I'm having a hard time telling when it's a need for nic and when it's just that my blood sugar is a little low. The feelings are the same. I need to check my blood sugar more often, I guess.

But, when I CAN vape constantly, I do. The hand to mouth is obviously the strongest part for me.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
They told us in high school that nicotine was more addictive than heroine.

That's part of our problem. Cigarettes are crazy addicting but it's not just the nicotine. It's the whole witches brew that's been engineered to ensure lifetime clients. The grip of cigarettes is like nothing else I've experienced in my life. Like many here, I'm one of the ones that becomes a client for life and fails miserably over and over again trying to quit.

Nicotine is lumped into that and it sucks. I've used NRTs many times. Yes, they take the edge off but I hated them. If it was only nicotine causing the near unbreakable addiction then NRTs wouldn't be the mega fail they are today.

Vaping isn't quite smoking either. We all have that hollowness early on but it's much easier to manage than with NRTs. It's like right in between the two but has proven to be enough to break the awful cigarette habit. Once you get past the hollow feeling it's easy street and quite pleasant to vape. I only need 12 most of the time. I stepped down quick too shortly after I started.

There aren't the high highs and low lows with vaping. That's my favorite part. Even when I can't vape for 4+ hours it doesn't really bug me much. I could never say that during my smoking years. Hopefully the truth that nicotine itself isn't that big of a deal becomes widely accepted. I have plenty of doubt though. Time will tell.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
They told us in high school that nicotine was more addictive than heroine.

At the moment, I chain vape on 6mg juice whenever I can. I don't get cravings at all.

If I were to be taking very small doses of heroine on a daily basis, I'm pretty sure I'd develope some sort of addiction.

This has always confused me.

There is a Very Simple Test for Addiction and or Dependency. And you Don't need a PhD to do it.

Just leave your e-Cigarette on the Kitchen Table tonight when you go to Sleep. And then tomorrow, go the Entire Day Without Using it. If you feel Exactly the Same as you do when you Use your e-Cigarette then you have No Signs of an Addiction or Dependency.

But if you Don't Feel Exactly the Same Way, then perhaps there is More Going on than Meets the Eye.

BTW - This simple test Doesn't say anything about Nicotine Addiction or Dependency. It only Examples e-Cigarette Addiction and or Dependency.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I really wish I could Subscribe to the Notion that it is just a Want or a Desire for Most people verses a Need, but I can't.

It is just My Opinion, and it Doesn't Apply to All People, but I think if you asked People Anonymously that the Majority would say that they Need to Vape more than they Needed to Smoke.

You are Certainly entitled to you Opinion. But I do Not Agree with you.

I heard that.

The ONLY Way they are going to take Coffee away from me is to Pry it From My Cold Dead Fingers.

I was never able to just lay around in bed after I woke up. I would HAVE to get out of bed the very instant my eyes opened. I have discovered the luxury of sleeping in. Man, now I see what Mr. Robin likes about just laying in bed on the weekend! I do not NEED to get up and start my coffee then have a cig while waiting for at least one cup to be brewed.

The overwhelming NEED for nic just isn't there anymore. The only panic I get these days is when I forget to put an extra battery in my purse. That is slowly dwindling. I can walk out of the house just making sure I have a filled clearo and I know I will be fine. Sometimes I actually can go to the store and forget to vape the whole time I'm gone.

I truly believe there were more things addicting in cigs, as was mentioned in regards to the MAOI's (? Think I got that right?). Everybody has different levels to what they are addicted. Just like not everyone is going to be an alcoholic. Some of us can drink socially while others cannot. Some have an easier time making the switch from cigs to vaping. That is why it is crucial that vaping not be one size fits all. People need to be given credit for knowing what nic level works for them. Also for how long that level of nic works.

I have lowered my nic to 9mg but, surprise!, I have not started vaping more liquid than when I was vaping 24mg.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't expect you to agree; I would like you to try, and experience it for yourself!

I have nothing to gain, whether you do or don't; you can keep the results to yourself, if you prefer.

Whether or Not I, or any one Vaper, can Go Longer without Vaping than I could verses Smoking is Immaterial.

What I was Speaking to was the Majority of e-Cigarette Users.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
When I did a smoking cessation class, the initial interview included questions like:
- Do you keep your cigarettes next to your bed?
- Do you get up in the night specifically to smoke?
- How soon after waking up do you have your first cigarette?

They explained that those and other questions were to help determine if you were more of a habitual or addictive smoker. I don't know what specific answers or range of values they looked for.

gammaxgoblin

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Utah, US
Consider also that big tobacco is using freebase nicotine delivery and freebase anything will cause a more drastic dopamine response. Transitioning to a much slower nicotine absorption method in addition to lowering the overall session dose and daily dose will drastically decrease the severity of the addiction withdrawal response. Just like big food companies engineer the food to make you want more, big tobacco has tweaked tobacco to be what cr@ck is to coc@ine and what gl@ss is to m3th.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

JasonK94Z

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2013
Olathe, KS, USA
I don't know if its just me but I used to have a weird phenomenon happen when I was a smoker. After going about 2 hours or more without a cigarette, I could swear I smelled a cigarette burning somewhere which would then trigger my need to have a cigarette immediately. But, here is where the strange happens, there was NO CIGARETTE BURNING in my vicinity. Ever.

It took me a month of vaping and smoking to actually make the switch. My cigarette consumption gradually became less, over that month, until it was down to 2 puffs before bed. That lasted 2 nights before I said screw it and the 3rd night I went without it and finally was cigarette free.

Since I have become a 100% vaper, that phenomenon has not happened to me. Has anyone else ever experienced that phantom cig smell when they smoked? Or was I just crazy?

Thank you for posting this! I thought I was the only one. I could smell a cigarette burning and there wasnt one burning anywhere near me at all. Weird stuff! Happened to me everyday almost for two or three weeks after I quit analogs. I switched to vaping and dropped my cigarettes right away.

mytsmooth

Aug 21, 2013
Colorado USA
We would be naive to think that after, or at anytime really, smoking was found to be dangerous, that BT wouldn't have added further addictive elements to the concoction. Nicotine is likely the scapegoat for other highly addictive chemicals in the mix, most of which, likely, have less research released to the masses than PG/VG or nicotine.

gammaxgoblin

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2013
Utah, US
We would be naive to think that after, or at anytime really, smoking was found to be dangerous, that BT wouldn't have added further addictive elements to the concoction. Nicotine is likely the scapegoat for other highly addictive chemicals in the mix, most of which, likely, have less research released to the masses than PG/VG or nicotine.

You mean the FDA doesn't have our health as their only concern? Lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
And I read Info that Talks about Nicotine in Isolation. OK. Then why do I seem to have a Hard Time going Completely to 0mg? Why Isn't everyone going to or at 0mg?
Some are afraid to...
Some don't even want to...

And yes, some are probably a lot more addicted to nicotine than others.

Remember, nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention.
That is one reason you can count me among those that don't even want to.

Well, that and the potential for staving off Alzheimers and Parkinsons.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Remember, nicotine improves memory, concentration, and attention.
That is one reason you can count me among those that don't even want to.

I had a Really Witty and Scientific Reply. But I lost my Chain of Thought as I had a Hit on my PV.

BTW - What was the Question again?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thank you for posting this! I thought I was the only one. I could smell a cigarette burning and there wasnt one burning anywhere near me at all. Weird stuff! Happened to me everyday almost for two or three weeks after I quit analogs. I switched to vaping and dropped my cigarettes right away.

The neurological system is quite a mystery! I have Scintillating Scotoma, and part of what accompanies this is smelling things that aren't there. Mostly garbage (rotting) and wood-smoke ( disconcerting for a homeowner ).

But there are days when I have sensory or visual memory. I can still hear the audio from the video game that I've played with my son for 1/2 later. Same with sight.

I'm certainly not saying anyone here has this disorder, just that there is a lot to sensory memory.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread