the new V2 EX cartridges look pretty impressive, no filler material

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombaker

Moved On
Oct 21, 2013
They have a nice video on the V2 site, the new cartridges have a liquid tank, with window, and no polly filler wicking. Basically looks like a mini clearomizer in the form of a cart. Unclear if they refillable, but it seems they are. Could be like a CE3

Enjoying my innokin VV, Ego twist sized, and protanks.
But I miss the toss in front shirt pocket of the 808D.

The new batteries have a power gauge on them also, and a cap. The portability of a 808D is not replaced by anything EGO. The release is sometime in 2014.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Nice!

V2 EX Blanks
V2 EX Blanks (3-Pack) - V2 Cigs
V2_Ex_Blank_Refillable_Cartridges_%283-Pack%29__66084_zoom.jpg

Are the batteries 808 or 901 threaded?
808 per this "adapter" page (that ant it's posted in the 808 sub forum...DOH! :facepalm: )
E-Cig Universal Adapters | V2 Cigs

Last edited:

Arker

Apr 25, 2013
NC, USA
This is almost the same as the V2 clearo that I got a few weeks ago, only mine was 'beta' version. Best I can tell the only major difference is the beta has a push-tight top rather than a screw on. It worked fine for me (and no leaks even without the screw on top) but I think they are a bit overpriced. The Volt Mini ( http://smokelessimage.com/filter-tips/clearonano/volt-mini-clearomizer.html ) appears to be identical to the V2 Beta that I tried, except for the branding, and it's $2 less. (That's 40% lower, pretty significant.)

Last edited:

Navy20

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 4, 2014
New York State, USA
I have some of these . . . Both the Beta version and the final EX version. In my opinion the Beta version is better yet the only difference I can see is the cap (Beta push on / EX screw on). I was looking for a larger capacity clearomizer and found the esmart clearomizer. To be honest, I believe the esmart to be the better of the 3. Note: the Beta is no longer available.

tombaker

Moved On
Oct 21, 2013
Nice!

V2 EX Blanks

V2 EX Blanks

[/QUOTE]

No no, I am am not talking about the EX blanks, (which is a great little clearomizer, does not leak at all)
I am talking about the new about to be released EX CARTRIDGES.

I still want the convinces and size of a cart, but without the burnt filler problems. You have to go the V2 website and watch the video for the new battery to see what the guts of the new cartridge is.

The patent looks like this I think https://www.google.com/patents/US20120318882 its seems pretty high tech, and the cart has a chip inside of it to talk to the battery, and this is how they can keep it sealed with the liquid.
v2_ex_carts7.jpg

If these are refillable, and flow controlled by a chip, they will be the biggest game changer in E-Cigs.
If they are just disposable it will still be a big deal, but you will be locked into V2.

Tattedmatt

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2014
Brick nj USA
Was a big fan of v2 before I moved up to a mod. I'm sure anything they put out will be the best of their class! They have outstanding customer service. The batteries tend to not last that long but in the 2+ years I dealt with them they always replaced them no questions asked also any time their carts had an off taste or didnt work right they also replaced them no questions asked

tombaker

Moved On
Oct 21, 2013
It does say in the video that they are completely sealed so I doubt you can refill them. Also they wouldn't make any money off them

They sell 510 to V2 converters for a couple of bucks. I would be interested in putting these on my Innokin VV battery, for travel in the car. They regularly have 30% off sales so I may get some get some carts and adapters when they come out.

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
I got a bunch recently. I ordered 2.4% in Congress and Safari and had a wait cause they werent in stock. A week for the congress and 2 weeks for the Safari -- which are still in the mail.

They are hotter than the regular carts - uncomfortable on the lips though I never got burned and after 3 days i'm getting used to it. They claim its nearly twice as many puffs? but can't be twice the liquid - about the same size though 2mm longer. Possibly the same liquids more effective - less liquid per puff - because its vaping hotter into a finer mist?

The vapour is good and the liquid-level window works. They say its leak-proof - dunno - no leaks with these but the only thing I'd call "leakage " from the old style cartomizer was an occasional droplet getting on my tongue or lip - not like actual spillage.

I haven't taken one apart yet - I'm hoping a little hole drilled somewhere will let me refill them then plug it with a piece of tape or such.

They do seem an improvement if you can get used to the heat - and want disposeable carts. But for me they don't seem worth the premium price ( $3 each instead of $2) I have used the older $2 carts and easily refilled them 4x each with $1 of juice each time = $6 for 5 uses = $1.20.

If I can't find a way to refill them I'll be looking into the little clearomizer instead and sometimes the standard type cartomizers. There are times I want a very cig-looking device in my hand which the cartomizers do - get into the clearmizers and more and it starts looking drug-parephenalia sp? Some of the big mods out there I bet people think Hoohak first, vibrator second don't get to cigarette til somewhere further down the list.

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
I did get one partly dissasembled.

There is a thin outer plastic skin with the mouthpiece fused to it. Perhaps 0.5mm polycarbonate or similar? Around this is a plastic film tape with the flavor and nic-level printed on it - seems thinner than the tape on the older carts and a different glue too.

Inside that there is a harder/thicker plastic capsule - 1mm acrylic? The inner capsule holds the juice and is affixed to metal part that is the threads and atomizer. The metal part is round, seems stuffed with some sort of wicking. The Plastic capsule is mostly round but has a flat sector - so sort of "D" shaped but the flat sector is pretty narrow - think 7/8 round with 1/8th flat. The Vapor leaves the atomizer in that section where the flat is and travels between the inner capsule and the outer plastic skin up to the mouthpiece. I expect the space right over the Flat is channeling most of the vapor and the place that gets too hot.

I haven't cut apart the atomizer bit yet. I can insert a probe several MM in through the 'air' hole in the bottom of the atomizer - possibly the right needle thru there could inject refill liquid?

Oh the regular cartomizers measure 2.8 ohms - the EX's are measuring 3.2 ohms - so less amperage = less wattage than the old ones if using the same battery (3.7V = 4.88Watts @ 2.8ohm = 4.25Watts @ 3.2 ohms). The Hotter sensation must be from having a thin plastic covering the vapor path instead of metal and thick plastics you have in the regular cartomizer.

I've used the EX to the point where theres no noticeable vapor without getting a burnt taste - guessing the wicking you can see is all silica and no cotton or poly.

Last edited:

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
No joy. Again theres a thin outer shell with the mouthpiece fused to it, and an inner clear capsule that holds the juice and is mated to a metal piece with the atomizer and threads and some wicking. The airflow comes in thru the center of the threads as usual then the vapor exits the metal part through a channel on one side of the inner capsule and flows between the inner capsule and the outer shell to the mouthpiece.

To get new fluid into the inner capsule, you could go thru the air intake, or the vapor outlet or make some new hole in the inner capsule.

I tried the "Condom Push" - pushing fluid in thru the air-intake hole using one of the rubber end-covers (condoms) that come on the cartridge. The fluid went in the air intake, out the vapor outlet, flooded the area between inner capsule and outer shell and peeked out of the mouthpiece. Despite staying flooded like this for a while, no fluid seemed to make it into the inner capsule.

I tried similarly using a syringe needle inserted thru the air-intake hole and similar results - lots of juice in air paths where there shouldn't be juice and none in the resevoir capsule where we want it. Air-intake and vapor outlet are so connected that those methods basically tried both at the same time.

The other option is to make a new hole. It could go thru the existing hole in the mouthpiece - a 2mm hole in the end of the inner capsule - then a syringe needle could fill the center capsule. But how to plug it? Drilling would make a corkscrew shaving of plastic - or chips - I don't see how to clean them out from under the mouthpiece - probably stay in there till the worst moment then get sucked into your throat while drawing vapor.

Could drill thru the side - thru the outer shell and the inner capsule at the same time. More hole size options - plug them up with the same plug - maybe one of those little rubber spikes from the center of the cartridge condoms? Seems like that could work if the right size drillbit is used. I'll get it into the workshop and try it. I'll also cut one of those atomizers open - I'm curious whats going on that it can wick liquid from the resevoir but wont send it back the other way.

When I got the syringe to try this I also got some Kanger T4 clearomizers - just about perfect. 808 fitting on these, and 10mm diameter - basically the same diameter as these cartidges. The gradiant markers on it go up to 0.9ml - but I'd say 0.75 as the markings don't change to accomidate the airtube widening into an atomizer at the top. So, similar capacity to what you get out of a cartomizer before you refill it. Probably real similar to what V2 is selling as "blanks". These have a screw on mouthpiece. Easy if your juice comes with a needle tip bottle - else use a syringe. A regular dropper-tip promised to make a mess if I tried to use it. http://www.litecigusa.net/Kanger_808D_1T4_Clearomizer_p/808-kanger-t4-clearomizer.htm for $2.25 ea.

Last edited:

csardaz

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2014
Pennsylvania
Pictures coming out rather small so I cropped some - not all the same zoom : They do get a bit larger if you click on them.
DSCF0809.jpg

Wrap is just a tape label - left
right you see exploded - TOP the outer shell with mouthpiece, MID inner capsule with steel ring attached - note the vapor channel on the left side of it, BOTTOM atomizer/thread - thats aluminum with a silicone bit around the coil and wick. The very bottom is the center electric contact/air inlet.

The coil is horizontal - Camera didn't cooperate in getting a real good close-up.

overv.jpg

The plastic capsule has this - grill. Next one I disassembled differently and saw this grill is covered with a bit of felt - real weak stuff that comes apart as easy as wet tissue. So a needle in thru the air-intake is usually running into this grill.
Screen.jpg

So feal around with the needle and you can get thru one of the holes in the grill - you are pushing around the coil tho and I broke one.

thru.jpg

Then tried it on some cartridges that were still intact - success. The dark liquid is a chocolate-mint (yuck - more like Menthol with a bit of chocolate and a hint of mint)

full.jpg

I filled 3 of them. One worked fine. One gurgled quite a bit - worked - but some droplets of liquid on my tongue indicating too much juice getting to the coil thru that wad?. The third didn't work - meter shows open circuit - guess I broke or disconnected the coil while probing around to penetrate the grill.

So the innards were interesting, you could flush them out with water via the needle once its in there. Not much that holds on to old flavors - just the wick and the little wad that covers the screen. Having put a needle thru that wad I thought liquid might be able to leak out but the 3 refilled carts sat upright on a tissue for 10 minutes with no sign of leakage thru the air-intake.

I did get my juice back from the broken one - re-insert needle and slurp it out. Possibly a thinner needle would make it easier - I think this ones 14 ga and just fits thru the holes in the grill.

Takes about 0.7ml of juice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread