The Next Big thing.... Porous Ceramic Wicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach

That thing is really junk from what I have read, save your money.
As for heating, you don't really need it all that much. I've been using mine bought here for a few months to mix juice I have also been throwing my wicks in it between cleanings just for good measure. I got it back before Christmas when it was on sale. If you run it through like 3-4 cycles it heats up the water just from normal operation and I have had it running continuously from an hour to two hours regularly with no problems.

Last edited:

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Quick update regarding the RSST AC9 clone attys. In better light I found that there is a nylon insulator in the original drilled hole once the smaller metal tube is removed, not metal like I thought. It can be removed easily with a 3/16 bit. Pretty close to 5mm finished product. I'm sure a larger metric bit could be used to hog it out more maybe to 6mm, but it would be tight. The thing is pretty huge. I have some trimmed down blanks that I was going to bring further down to fit 9/64, but these almost fit as it is. I see less breakage risk in the near future here. Maybe a 5/6 wrap of 30 or maybe even experiment with 28. The ribbon I have is too volatile I think to make it worth trying on this kind of thing.

Stoneface

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2013
New York
Warning: Dumb question ahead: Did you mod the SmokTech RSST? I ask because i started looking at those.
Quick update regarding the RSST AC9 clone attys. In better light I found that there is a nylon insulator in the original drilled hole once the smaller metal tube is removed, not metal like I thought. It can be removed easily with a 3/16 bit. Pretty close to 5mm finished product. I'm sure a larger metric bit could be used to hog it out more maybe to 6mm, but it would be tight. The thing is pretty huge. I have some trimmed down blanks that I was going to bring further down to fit 9/64, but these almost fit as it is. I see less breakage risk in the near future here. Maybe a 5/6 wrap of 30 or maybe even experiment with 28. The ribbon I have is too volatile I think to make it worth trying on this kind of thing.

eRob_

Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
dude have you vaped these wicks yet? and is there any difference...

I have, and wicking does seem greatly improved. I am so use to using the "genesis tilt", but when trying to do that resulted in juice dripping out of air hole. I can't speak to vape/flavor differences because I am using ribbon kanthal for the first time on the new wick. But I will say I have had no break-in period and vaping like a train right now. When I get around to breaking down my wife's genny I will recreate previous wraps but with a ultrasonic cleaning to compare differences.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Sound encouraging , keep us informed of your experinces, yeah I haven't tried the ribbon, but it seems it's very difficult to get a real good hot wrap on it, and it seems these fish sticks really need that tight hot wrap to bring out the flavor.You say the juice is dripping out of the air hole...have you noticed if the thickness of your wick has gotten smaller or not?
I have, and wicking does seem greatly improved. I am so use to using the "genesis tilt", but when trying to do that resulted in juice dripping out of air hole. I can't speak to vape/flavor differences because I am using ribbon kanthal for the first time on the new wick. But I will say I have had no break-in period and vaping like a train right now. When I get around to breaking down my wife's genny I will recreate previous wraps but with a ultrasonic cleaning to compare differences.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
Whoa...Ceramic fiber wick??? That could open up a lot of additional possibilities! Time to do some Google-fu and find out more about this stuff........

EDIT: after some quick research, it appears that most of the ceramic wicks contain fiberglass as a re-enforcing materiel ....not good.
I'll keep looking around though....you never know what's out there.

Last edited:

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
Ten minutes of research, sheesh. :facepalm:

That is not what we are on about here anyhow-- Porous Ceramic A.K.A. Alundum.

Yes, I realize that. ...many of the ceramic wicks I've found so far (rope type) are composed of variations of Alumdum or Aluminum oxide, but most are re-enforced with fiberglass fibers. Just looking around to see if there might be another possible configuration of ceramic materials that might work.

mre777

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2012
Daytona Beach
I'm pretty sure that you both will buy one or more eventually. Keep an eye on the co-ops. I got two delivered for like $40.

Yeah but I have so many things that I don't use now I could put a R/A on every device I own and still have leftovers. Want to trade one of yours for a Terminator-C that almost never use? :D

WyseOne

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
Toronto
well, i got my answer :(

rauschert, to begin with, will only sell to german vendors. estimated time of first deliveries ~ 6 weeks. before selling to the u.s. they will seek fda approval and we all know what that means ................. sigh

sorry, guys - i tried

A dremel, diamond wheel and TopFin stone... I can pump out 14-18 perfectly round 1/8" wicks in a few hours...

Wonder how big the market is for these things, it may be worth my while to start building a healthy stock and selling them.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
A dremel, diamond wheel and TopFin stone... I can pump out 14-18 perfectly round 1/8" wicks in a few hours...

Wonder how big the market is for these things, it may be worth my while to start building a healthy stock and selling them.

Great plan, but these guys aren't going to help with your profit margin: Canada Post - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread