The Orange Juice Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
Good News, I'm still waiting for an apology. I did not call you any names whatsoever, all I, did was prove your theory that oranges are more acidic than lemons was wrong, which others, as well as Kopfstimmen, have done as well. That, and correct your usage of palate and palette.

Edit - Forgot to add "was wrong." I didn't want to look like a dolt.......

Last edited:

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Good News, I'm still waiting for an apology. I did not call you any names whatsoever, all I did was prove your theory that oranges are more acidic than lemons, which others have done as well. That, and correct your usage of palate and palette.

Do I get no credit for looking up "PH" in Wikipedia? :)

TXSundevil

Oct 9, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
I just want to let you know....the entire thread...all of you are getting reported! Here I was having a great day, and now the FDA I hear is trying to have my OJ and Bacon listed as a tobacco product thanks to this thread! Now I have to modify my Vapeocolypse shopping list....50 gallon drum of nic (check), VG (check), PG (check), Flavoring (check), Orange Orchard, Pig Farm. /sigh

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
I tried oj, but now my tongue only can taste soapy perfume
so now what...are my taste buds fried? I'll try some pga...
Sent by my cat through pure magic

If you're telling the truth and not making fun of me, that's the propylene glycol and/or flavorings gunking and not vaporizing all your juice elements correctly. This was why I tasted soap all day with PG juices yesterday. My taste buds are returning and this is something that I can taste when my taste buds are "normal", and when it happens for me, it's a sign that atomizers are gunked and not producing flavor as great and equally as they should be able to. As least, this is my opinion so far. Or, as I'm currently looking into, it may mean that the plastic bottles that are used for juice are leeching this type of flavor into the vape. This flavor can be very strong and I have no idea why it happens for sure, but it isn't the orange juice...

And I apologize for calling the other user dolt , as I had a brainfart and I didn't read the PH scale correctly, but everyone was being hateful as sin over a subject that I was essentially right about. Alkaline vs. Acidity vs. Maufactured levels. Makes no crap difference. Tropicana orange juice (as well as orange juice from the machines of Waffle House or wherever) is DRYING out the .....

When you DRY out the tongue, it CANNOT taste organic matter as clearly. However, it can taste synthetic chemicals OUT THE WAZOO. Try it out!

Last edited:

Jonner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm willing to try the OJ test, probably tomorrow as I don't usually have it on hand. But what am I supposed to taste? If I'm gaping my favorite liquid, Bounty Hunter, will it just taste more pronounced? Or do I need to have unflavored liquid, just to see if my coil is clean, is that what you're saying?

GoodNews!

Moved On
Oct 25, 2013
Vaping, USA
I'm willing to try the OJ test, probably tomorrow as I don't usually have it on hand. But what am I supposed to taste? If I'm gaping my favorite liquid, Bounty Hunter, will it just taste more pronounced? Or do I need to have unflavored liquid, just to see if my coil is clean, is that what you're saying?

Essentially, if you vape non-flavored, or try orange juice, the effect would be the same - although there are variants between the human tongue, and orange juice essentially turns a normal tongue into super-taster mode because of the drying effect. You can also dehydrate your tongue by not drinking for awhile while vaping, and the effect will also be the same.

All you should be concerned with is if you taste a wicky, burnt, metallic, or soapy taste after the orange juice, really. If it tastes metallic, it means that really, metallic ions are in your vape. If it taste burnt, it means there's probably a lot of organic gunk (like on bacon). If it tastes like singed sock or wicky, it means your vape is not wicking well (or possibly there's some metallic ions in there as well), and the soapy taste is a mystery that I'm either trying to source to plastic bottles, or other ingredients, such as possibly PG.

A lot of people do not taste these things as clearly when they still smoke, or if they've alternatively been vaping for forever. I can, because I'm highly sensitive to all chemical or metallic flavors on this planet. That's been my curse in vaping. But if these things are there, I'd think any user would want to know and be aware of what they're vaping. Any sort of juice out there shouldn't be that high in the PH scale, and if you taste soap, then something's in there that's high in PH, because that's generally what human beings relate high PH ingredients to.

It may just be PG, but I'd have to get some PG to test. I enjoy PG though in a properly working atomizer, and/or in glass bottles. That to me is an important finding for both atomizer performance traits, and possible health concerns concerning plastic bottles.
And it's a possbility that the soapy taste is also some form of residue in the tanks or atomizers used. Either way, I don't want to taste soap in my vape. Nor would I want anyone here to have these types of chemicals in their vape and not know it.

Ya'll may say "it's just the orange juice coating the tongue" but I don't think that's true because all the juices I have that taste soapy taste soapy after the orange juice, and the ones that don't, don't. But the orange juice cut out the organic "flavorings" of the juice (like caramel, tobacco, all that stuff). That's the factor that makes the negative tastes extremely pinpoint on this test. Drinking orange juice is sort of like "Jumping into GoodNews's World" for a day. You'll taste the worst of traits.

ainews

Jan 3, 2014
las vegas, nv
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and disruptive

Diogenes

Moved On
Nov 5, 2013
Justice, IL
Essentially, if you vape non-flavored, or try orange juice, the effect would be the same - although there are variants between the human tongue, and orange juice essentially turns a normal tongue into super-taster mode because of the drying effect. You can also dehydrate your tongue by not drinking for awhile while vaping, and the effect will also be the same.

Dehydration is one of the long standing ideas that causes vaper's tongue, making it so that you can't taste any vapor at all, or the vape is really muted.

Vaper's tongue is a product of dehydration usually. Drink lots of water, brush your tongue with toothpaste when you brush your teeth, and wait. Your taste will come back. Peppermint sticks also help re-hydrate your mouth.

All you should be concerned with is if you taste a wicky, burnt, metallic, or soapy taste after the orange juice, really. If it tastes metallic, it means that really, metallic ions are in your vape. If it taste burnt, it means there's probably a lot of organic gunk (like on bacon). If it tastes like singed sock or wicky, it means your vape is not wicking well (or possibly there's some metallic ions in there as well), and the soapy taste is a mystery that I'm either trying to source to plastic bottles, or other ingredients, such as possibly PG.

Please stop with the metal ion theory. True, metal ions can be tasted, but usually there's only a taste when you put the metal in your mouth. You are not putting a smokin' hot coil in your mouth, so you shouldn't be tasting any metal ions.

Does metallic cutlery really affect perception of food taste?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
GoodNews! You're presenting wild speculations as fact, turning a blind eye to the fact that your very starting point was established (proven, if you will) to be wrong within minutes of your first post. And you seem to be totally unresponsive when someone clearly demonstrates to you that you're wrong. You're not willing to budge from your standpoints even when presented with the facts, you start a new thread of wild speculations every other day or so, and you are utterly unwilling to accept any kind of suggestions that could help you have a good vaping experience.

Why is this? I extend this challenge: reflect upon these questions, honestly, and respond to them. If you do not, I proclaim that you are nothing but a troll trying to cause chaos. Prove me wrong!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

BigCatDaddy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Near Austin, Texas
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Off topic and disruptive

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
I'll bite. For the sake of science. Glass of HEB 100% orange juice. (Organic even. Girlfriend sprung for that.)
urugujy9.jpg

u5ubyhes.jpg

se4e3uza.jpg

Vtr set at a comfortable 8.5 watts, IBtanked filled with MBV butterscotch. (About two weeks old) Standard resistance Boge carto, single punched. Most ridiculously large metal drip tip I own.

8ezazuza.jpg
jy9ehyza.jpg
be2y3a5y.jpg

My takeaway: tastes like orangey butterscotch. Two great tastes that do NOT go great together. What was supposed to happen again?

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
The thread derailments will stop. Now. End of discussion.

Oh wait, ya mean if one ECF member post mis-info and knowledgeable vapers challenge dat info, we're derailing da post?

Challenge a mod? I know better! But as to challenging mis-info with so many new vapers here... really? BTW, I already reside in a vacation locality. We get all too many of da same ilk! Thankfully, most of 'em move on. In dis case...
banghead.gif

One mod has already said that there must be a 'committee decision' to avoid such mis-informational/self served behavior. So be it. Ya'll otta 'sit' down determine what is a troll or disruptive and what is not. Check the history!

ECF history is forever indelible here and ignoring it is a disservice for the general membership. There is no knowledgeable member here that has followed this member's posts that should ever be chastised for being 'vocal' in my/their objections!

If the 'committee' deems my post as an affront, I'm mature enough to swallow my 'medicine'. BUT, c'mon... threatening those that really care...?!?!?!?

To GN!, ya have NOOOO idea how much sooo many of us wish ya could find your vaping Shanghai-la!!!

NiNi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
Paulden, Arizona
Seriously? Lemons and limes contain the most citric acid, many store bought citrus juices have ADDED citric acid, MANY sodas have MORE citric acid than lemons or limes. I was brought up on acreage that included 57 grapefruit trees that my dad sold the fruit from every year to the Sunkist Corp. We also had many varieties of oranges, lemons, limes, kumquats. Hey, grew up on a farm/ranch.
Why do many store bought citrus juices have added citric acid? Because rain, temp, irrigation, freezes, etc., all effect the composition of the final fruit. It is never exactly the same every single year.
Citric acid has absolutely no bearing on vaping unless you're cleaning your vape gear with detergent that contains citric acid, which in all probability it does.
If you taste metal, you may be suffering from something that could be quite serious and could be caused by, but not limited to the following:
Having Bell’s Palsy
Having braces
Dental problems such as surgery or gingivitis
Inflammation of the tongue known as glossitis
Nasal polyps
Brain damage
Radiation therapy to your neck or head
A deficiency in zinc or vitamin B12
Antibiotics
Bronchodilators
Lithium
Copper toxicity
Acid reflux disease
Lead or mercury poisoning

So before putting out dis-information, why don't you do some research.....and go see your doctor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread