Status
Not open for further replies.

Serendipity_Stables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Vancouver, BC
www.facebook.com
I am a bit of a newbie but wth is wrong with this device? I almost need a bib to fill the dang thing and for the life of me, I cannot stop it from leaking. I've looked at the youtube videos and I've put cotton down the channels and it still leaks and I'm not sure why.

I purchased a big dripper and and an AGA T5 and have NO issues with these devices but this little orchid thing is almost ready to go into the garbage until I come here and hear everyone raving about them and I wonder what I am doing wrong?

Paradicio

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2014
Altadena, CA
The major design flaw remaining with the Orchid is the single piece chimney. Because of this flaw it is an extremely difficult device to wick. There is no way to adjust the wicking once the chimney is on, so it has to be perfect.

If the device is leaking it is due to juice making its way into the airflow. The coils should be over the airflow, but not too close. The wick should rest over the channels, but not in them. Make sure the wicking material is not getting caught in the threads. Once the tank is filled turn it upside down, hold a damp paper towel over the air holes, and blow (pretty hard) into the drip tip until no more juice comes out of the air holes. This will clear the airflow. The vacuum, and the wick over the channels will prevent further flooding.

This is how I've worked my Orchid and it's been great. No leaking after the initial (inevitable) flood, no dry hits, and I can chain Vape. A properly set up orchid will give you the portability of a tank, and flavor/ vapor production very close to a dripper!

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
I love the way he says chi men eee...that's how I full my aqua and kfls...total mess but worth it. An rda in a tank...may pull the trigger. Just have to make sure those wicks are inside the deck threads to avoid wick twist. I have never jammed that much cotton on a deck. Wow. I bet it's a juiced vape. Thanks for posting.

Sarin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
The problem with the v4 is the huge width of the chimney which is only marginally smaller than the glass tube. This creates a vacuum effect between the chimney and the glass - turn your orchid to the side and you won't see and air bubble move like other RTA's (it will eventually move but only after some time). When you fill from the bottom you have to fill really slowly, like "i'm bored" slowly. A better way is to cover the airholes with your fingers and unscrew the top section which enables you to fill at the same speed as other RTA's. Once you start to screw the top section back on again you will feel the pressure caused by the small gap between the chimney and the glass. The thing will still leak a bit out of the airholes by filling this way but at least it doesn't take 10 minutes to do.

The fix for the filling issue would be to make the chimney a bit smaller.

Oh and another thing that you might find is that the v4 is thirsty, really thirsty, you gotta pay for those clouds :)

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
I bottom-fill both my v1 and v4 by taking the base off, and blocking the drip-tip hole with my middle finger for the v1, and ring finger for the v4. The other one or two fingers curl around the tank body.

Clearing the initial flood is an essential with this method.

Srendip, I hope you get that thing figured out soon. You have made some major investments!

Serendipity_Stables

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Vancouver, BC
www.facebook.com
OMG. I love EACH and every one of you guys that responded to me. :vapor: Mistakes I made in my first TWELVE builds were: Too much wick and putting tails down the juice channels as well as not having the coils centered over the air intakes correctly. I watched a boat load of you tube videos and followed them all but went through about 15mls of juice and a huge mess everywhere. I was also filling from the bottom. Once I filled from the top and followed these instructions, it worked PERFECTLY and has not leaked once. The learning curve was steep with the orchid though but have it all figured out now and it's awesome. I am not sure which I like better. The big dripper is awesome and almost fool proof like a kayfun but this orchid is so far, so good as well albeit a juice sucker just like the big dripper is. Thankfully, I am only doing 2-6mg nicotine or I'd be shaking like a leaf from the hits. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH !

lucky_x16

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2012
Glasford, Il
OMG. I love EACH and every one of you guys that responded to me. :vapor: Mistakes I made in my first TWELVE builds were: Too much wick and putting tails down the juice channels as well as not having the coils centered over the air intakes correctly. I watched a boat load of you tube videos and followed them all but went through about 15mls of juice and a huge mess everywhere. I was also filling from the bottom. Once I filled from the top and followed these instructions, it worked PERFECTLY and has not leaked once. The learning curve was steep with the orchid though but have it all figured out now and it's awesome. I am not sure which I like better. The big dripper is awesome and almost fool proof like a kayfun but this orchid is so far, so good as well albeit a juice sucker just like the big dripper is. Thankfully, I am only doing 2-6mg nicotine or I'd be shaking like a leaf from the hits. THANK YOU SO SO MUCH !

Not that my information was helpful but your welcome.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Save the last of your tank for refilling.
Place your e-liquid bottle in very warm water for several minutes.
Remove and shake well
Take several Draws on the Orchid to warm the chimney
Slow fill the Orchid - May take a few minutes
Keep upside down for a few minutes to allow the liquid to cool.

Funny thing is I can fill the Orchid v3 in one quick shot.:blink:

CloudKick

Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
San Clemente, CA
The problem with the v4 is the huge width of the chimney which is only marginally smaller than the glass tube. This creates a vacuum effect between the chimney and the glass - turn your orchid to the side and you won't see and air bubble move like other RTA's (it will eventually move but only after some time). When you fill from the bottom you have to fill really slowly, like "i'm bored" slowly. A better way is to cover the airholes with your fingers and unscrew the top section which enables you to fill at the same speed as other RTA's. Once you start to screw the top section back on again you will feel the pressure caused by the small gap between the chimney and the glass. The thing will still leak a bit out of the airholes by filling this way but at least it doesn't take 10 minutes to do.

The fix for the filling issue would be to make the chimney a bit smaller.

Oh and another thing that you might find is that the v4 is thirsty, really thirsty, you gotta pay for those clouds :)
The size of the chimney helps to not create an oven and dry out the wick too quickly

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
To address the issue the OP is having (filling, not wicking), I'm hoping that my easy-fill top cap arriving from fleabay some time next week will solve the ultra-slow refills of my V4. Both my time and my juice are too premium to waste. :)

$_57.JPG

duc916

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2012
Nor Cal
The top fill cap works great, but after installing this clear Kayfun polycarbonate tank, which has slightly thinner walls than the original one, the liquid (and air bubbles) has no trouble travelling quickly through from top to bottom, which means bottom filling is now almost as quick.

I plan to keep the fill cap installed anyway, as this method is still faster with the included vent hole, plus it allows me to fill it without removing it from the mod. :2cool:

394261d1417757274-orchid-v4-absolute-hell-orchid_pc_tank.jpg

Attachments

• orchid_pc_tank.jpg
    orchid_pc_tank.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 656
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread