The point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Since regulared mods have boost now for quick firing and r so powerful ull never use all the power or ull melt ur coils. For example my Paranormal is only set on 80 watts boost and it fires 9 wraps of a fused clapton with ease. If I set it higher I get a burnt taste. Is there any point in owning a mech mod or r they obsolete now? Some people love mechs. Is it cause they give better flavor? Why do people still use them? If u use a mech tell me why.

Reactions: stols001

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I pretty much only use mech squonk mods.

I never have to worry about a malfunction in the chip since there is none. I simply don't trust a chip to keep me safe, I like to be in control of that.

I enjoy the challenges of building for a mech.

The styling of a mech is unmatched by most regulated mods, a lot of mechs are simply a work of art.

I am confident my mech mods will outlast any regulated mod I own, and I have the skills required to keep it running for the foreseeable future even if there is an issue.

Power isn't everything, with my style of vaping a single 20a battery offers more than I need.

My single battery mech squonk mods are much smaller and lighter than a regulated version.

I enjoy collecting mech mods.

My battery lasts longer since I am only powering my atomizer, and nothing else like screens, lights, or a chip.

There are tons of reasons people can give you why they like mechs more, but these were just a few off the top of my head of why I chose to run them instead of regulated mods. One size does not fit all in vaping. Everyone has their own style and tastes.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
I pretty much only use mech squonk mods.

I never have to worry about a malfunction in the chip since there is none. I simply don't trust a chip to keep me safe, I like to be in control of that.

I enjoy the challenges of building for a mech.

The styling of a mech is unmatched by most regulated mods, a lot of mechs are simply a work of art.

I am confident my mech mods will outlast any regulated mod I own, and I have the skills required to keep it running for the foreseeable future even if there is an issue.

Power isn't everything, with my style of vaping a single 20a battery offers more than I need.

My single battery mech squonk mods are much smaller and lighter than a regulated version.

I enjoy collecting mech mods.

My battery lasts longer since I am only powering my atomizer, and nothing else like screens, lights, or a chip.

There are tons of reasons people can give you why they like mechs more, but these were just a few off the top of my head of why I chose to run them instead of regulated mods. One size does not fit all in vaping. Everyone has their own style and tastes.
Do u ever use a stack? Double battery tube? Id want a stack if I got one.

• Optimistic

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Do u ever use a stack? Double battery tube? Id want a stack if I got one.
Nope. I don't like tubes. And a stack is pointless for my style of vaping, I don't need any more power than a single battery offers. I am not trying to impress anyone, and don't care for all the high powered stuff. I will never need more than 4.2v or 50w.

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Nope. I don't like tubes. And a stack is pointless for my style of vaping, I don't need any more power than a single battery offers. I am not trying to impress anyone, and don't care for all the high powered stuff. I will never need more than 4.2v or 50w.
I like huge clouds. Thats why I like the Paranormal. Its regulated but I get bigger cloufs with it then I ever did with any other box. I had the Hex Ohm but it wasnt powerful enough to handle my 9 wrap fused clapton. 9 wraps sounds like a lot but its only 28×2+38 nichrome. So they arent thick claptons. Its pretty thin wire.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I like huge clouds. Thats why I like the Paranormal. Its regulated but I get bigger cloufs with it then I ever did with any other box. I had the Hex Ohm but it wasnt powerful enough to handle my 9 wrap fused clapton. 9 wraps sounds like a lot but its only 28×2+38 nichrome. So they arent thick claptons. Its pretty thin wire.

I run 5 (sometimes 6) wrap ni80 28x3/40 fused claptons in single coil RDAs. I get plenty of clouds (just as much as my buddies running 100w+ on duals), but the flavor is what sold me on what I run. I get much better flavor on these single coil RDAs than the duals I have used, plus I use way less juice and battery power.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Mechanicals are just another method of vaping.
They are in no way 'better' or 'worse' or more powerful, or able to produce bigger cloudz, or 'better' flavor. They are simply a different way to vape.

They appeal to those that enjoy the simplicity of something ( like a tube or box) that holds the battery(s) and a switch to make contact with the delivery device. Those that enjoy being able to control every aspect of their vape experience by manipulating the many variables- a few examples are - wire type, wire gauge, coil type & size & resistance.
They appeal to those that have the extensive knowledge & experience to use them safely without built in limits or safeties.

The only safety feature a mechanical has is the one between the users ears, his brain,, using knowledge & experience gained over time, a full & complete understanding of ohm law, battery safety & selection,,, in other words, all the basics plus advanced knowledge of how 'it all" works together, Safely.

In the hands of the inexperienced they can and do become dangerous in the blink of an eye.
In the hands of the knowledgeable & experienced they are no more dangerous than any other method of vaping.

Big huge cloudz are a byproduct of Vg ratio, airflow, lung capacity, to a lesser extent wire & coil type, the power source is almost meaningless.

Failure of high quality regulated power device is rare, very rare, usually if they fail they just stop working.
I have several that are 7 - 8 years old all function exactly like the day I got them, never a single issue of any kind.
Lesser quality regulated device do fail, sometimes after a few weeks up to a few years. Depends on if it is a cheap low QC variety or if it was misused / abused or many other factors. Again, usually just stop working, the 510 connection goes flaky or the screen glitches out.

Your DNA power device would be considered very high quality, pretty much top of the line.
It has enough features & customization options to do anything anyone could want, if you take the time to learn how to use it to its full potential.
It certainly has everything needed to blow outrageous huge bro cloudz, which is really simple to do.
You need to understand how it all works together, not focus on one or two aspects.

Asking questions about a high quality regulated power device in the "Mech Mod" forum is going to provide a limited cross section of folks that even use regulated devices.

Last edited:

Ephraim Cooper

Moved On
Aug 14, 2018
Mechanicals are just another method of vaping.
They are in no way 'better' or 'worse' or more powerful, or able to produce bigger cloudz, or 'better' flavor. They are simply a different way to vape.

They appeal to those that enjoy the simplicity of something ( like a tube or box) that holds the battery(s) and a switch to make contact with the delivery device. Those that enjoy being able to control every aspect of their vape experience by manipulating the many variables- a few examples are - wire type, wire gauge, coil type & size & resistance.
They appeal to those that have the extensive knowledge & experience to use them safely without built in limits or safeties.

The only safety feature a mechanical has is the one between the users ears, his brain,, using knowledge & experience gained over time, a full & complete understanding of ohm law, battery safety & selection,,, in other words, all the basics plus advanced knowledge of how 'it all" works together, Safely.

In the hands of the inexperienced they can and do become dangerous in the blink of an eye.
In the hands of the knowledgeable & experienced they are no more dangerous than any other method of vaping.

Big huge cloudz are a byproduct of Vg ratio, airflow, lung capacity, to a lesser extent wire & coil type, the power source is almost meaningless.

Failure of high quality regulated power device is rare, very rare, usually if they fail they just stop working.
I have several that are 7 - 8 years old all function exactly like the day I got them, never a single issue of any kind.
Lesser quality regulated device do fail, sometimes after a few weeks up to a few years. Depends on if it is a cheap low QC variety or if it was misused / abused or many other factors. Again, usually just stop working, the 510 connection goes flaky or the screen glitches out.

Your DNA power device would be considered very high quality, pretty much top of the line.
It has enough features & customization options to do anything anyone could want, if you take the time to learn how to use it to its full potential.
It certainly has everything needed to blow outrageous huge bro cloudz, which is really simple to do.
You need to understand how it all works together, not focus on one or two aspects.

Asking questions about a high quality regulated power device in the "Mech Mod" forum is going to provide a limited cross section of folks that even use regulated devices.
What do u use the most?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I use high quality regulated power devices, I have extensive knowledge of mechanicals also.

Again, one is not 'better' than the other.

Analogy - kinda like driving a high performance car with no rpm limiter & manual transmission vs driving a high performance car with an automatic transmission.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
How often do chips fail in regulated mods?
Like @Topwater Elvis said, you have a top of the line chip, failure rates are low on those. I am more talking about cheap Chinese stuff. It doesn't happen often at all, but they can fail in bad ways. That failure rate is just much lower in mechs for obvious reasons, but takes on their own safety issues.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think it's a preference thing, although there are plenty of advantages and disadvantages to mechs, like any vaping equipment. I use a mech and dripper very occasionally because I enjoy it, and it can be fun. For me a mech would not be an "all day" or "out and about" thing (and I build conservatively) more because you have to be precise with a mech but you also have to be consistent with a mech, and that includes how you use it and transport it. I would never want to take out and about with me. Too many distractions.

I think vaping a mech sometimes can be really nice. There are just tons of advantages to regulated mods, including the ability to customize every part of your vaping experience, more safety, and etc.

I guess the downside to using a regulated mod is there are more things to "go wrong" although I will say most regulated mods will "go wrong" by dying quietly rather than an explosive sort of meltdown, etc. Mostly, overall, not 100% of the time, but the do have more internal protections build in that mech's don't.

I think there may be this "myth" that vaping a mech is more powerful, bigger clouds, or somehow "better" performance than a regulated mod. I don't believe that to be the case, at least not these days. A mech is a more "customized" experience, but you, the vaper, have to set it up FOR gigantic clouds or whatever, and the more one tries to "optimize" that function in a mech, well the more safety tradeoffs can get made. I use a not very powerful battery in my mech and I build high, and I'm not creating a cyclone in my living room, nor am I aiming for one.

With that said, a) please don't buy a stacked mech, and also, with your board in your current regulated mod, you are likely (if you don't abuse it) to get years or more from your device, if you use decent maintenance practices. It's a very high quality board and the mod you have is well made. Provided you just exercise caution and due diligence, I can't imagine you'll run into problems.

I would put it out of your mind, the notion that a mech is going to give you a "better vape." You've sated repeatedly you like your regulated mod a LOT, so why the idea of running out and getting a stacked mech to see if you can somehow "do better," is well, I don't think you WILL like it better. My guess is, you won't build it correctly, you won't calculate ohm's law and you will wind up disliking THAT as well.

You are the perfect candidate for a regulated mod-- You like the vape experience, it's easier for you to navigate etc. I agree with everyone saying just learn to use the mod you have. Play around with different atomizers if you want. Learn how to use temp control. I mean, this mod can keep you occupied and learning new things for months, if you choose.

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Why do people choose a mech over regulated?

I've used both mechs and regulated mods. Liked both, but I haven't touched my mechs in a couple of years. I use a DNA-board regulated mod exclusively now. I like having the ability to change my vape on the fly (can't do that with a mech). I like the added safety security a regulated mod gives me over a mech. (I had a battery explode in a mech years ago.)

330407-f4afdb294813e4c50efd507298ce1f32.jpg

The only reason I keep my mechs around is for sentimental value, and should my 10 or so regulated mods no longer work post the vape apocalypse.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:

The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (or regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.

The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience, on the fly.

Has built-in protective circuitry against atomizer short circuits, shorts in the 510 connector, or fire button; accidentally putting the battery in backwards; over discharging
the battery; accidentally pressing the fire button too long (auto cutoff timer); and over-heating of the processor.

Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery voltage status and the ohm rating of the coil.​

Regulated Cons:

Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time compared to a mech. Electrical components may fail over time or from physical abuse.

Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire a sub-ohm resistance coil.​

Mechanical Pro's:

Generally speaking, are made to be more durable and able to withstand some physical abuse. No electronic components to fail.

Mechs are able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.

Many mechs are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces. Many are manufactured in a limited run, in limited quantities, and inscribed with the serial number on the mod, which provides added value to collectors.​

Mechanical Cons:

No protection circuitry. This is the big one for beginners. The new user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit, which could cause the battery to vent hot gas or go into thermal runaway with flames or exploding. The metal tube mechs must have ventilation holes in case you experience a venting episode, which should prevent your mod from becoming an exploding pipe bomb.

No voltage regulation of the battery. As the battery drains from use, the vape quality will diminish.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
How often do chips fail in regulated mods?
This is my biased opinion, but it depends upon the chips being used in the mod and who made the chips.

The DNA chips by Evolv are designed and made (I think) in the USA.

The legendary chip in the Provari was designed and made in the USA. Provape made hundreds of thousands of Provari's, and less than 1% of Provape's chips failed according to Zen (House of Hybrids). Quality control was superior, with each component being checked by up to five people.
"The circuit board and processor are made in the US. Only a certain few electrical components for the circuit board not available from the US are from other countries." -- Provape
Yihi and a select few other propietary chips from China manufacturers are top notch, but the majority of chips made in China are of lesser quality and less dependable/reliable.

I can't quote statistics on how often chips fail in regulated mods. Just from reading years of posts on ECF, one can easily come to the conclusion that certain mod manufacturers have a better track record than others. Thus, my above conclusions for DNA (Evolv), Provape, and Yihi as having superior chips.

Last edited:

Skunk!

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2014
Las Vegas
I started in 2012 and back then there were no high powered regulated mods. If you wanted higher power levels, mechmods were the only real option. I have some of my old tube mechs dtill and when they are polished they still look and perform like new. I use a Pulse BF now as my daily and it is perfect for me. I also have regulated mods but I find them too heavy for out and about. The Pulse is very tough. Mine has been dropped numerous times and it still looks and works like new. It is also very light. I can put it in a shirt pocket with my GR1 on it and it has no noticable weight. I am not into series or stacked mods. I don't need that kind of voltage. I wouldn't suggest one for you. They can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing. I am not criticizing you but you are still new to this. a regulated mod is a good thing for you until you learn more. I usually build at .19 to .3 with dual or triple core fused claptons on a dual coil setup or triple or quad core if it is single. I have begun to prefer single coils on mechanicals. They seem to perform better in my experience. To answer your question I like mechsnical mods for their compact size, durability, simplicity and lightness.

Last edited:

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Why do people choose a mech over regulated?

I've used both mechs and regulated mods. Liked both, but I haven't touched my mechs in a couple of years. I use a DNA-board regulated mod exclusively now. I like having the ability to change my vape on the fly (can't do that with a mech). I like the added safety security a regulated mod gives me over a mech. (I had a battery explode in a mech years ago.)

330407-f4afdb294813e4c50efd507298ce1f32.jpg

The only reason I keep my mechs around is for sentimental value, and should my 10 or so regulated mods no longer work post the vape apocalypse.

The Pro's & Cons of Regulated vs Mechanical Mods:

Regulated Pro's:

The battery power to the atomizer is controlled (or regulated) to stay the same throughout the battery charge, from a fully charged battery until fully discharged.

The power can be adjusted to increase or decrease the voltage by the user, allowing the user to change their vaping experience, on the fly.

Has built-in protective circuitry against atomizer short circuits, shorts in the 510 connector, or fire button; accidentally putting the battery in backwards; over discharging
the battery; accidentally pressing the fire button too long (auto cutoff timer); and over-heating of the processor.

Has built-in battery voltage and atomizer resistance meters to check battery voltage status and the ohm rating of the coil.​

Regulated Cons:

Generally speaking, may not be as well made or as durable over time compared to a mech. Electrical components may fail over time or from physical abuse.

Unless it is a "high wattage" regulated mod, will not be able to fire a sub-ohm resistance coil.​

Mechanical Pro's:

Generally speaking, are made to be more durable and able to withstand some physical abuse. No electronic components to fail.

Mechs are able to fire sub-ohm coils because there is no protection circuitry or processor amp limits to prohibit it.

Many mechs are machined to be quite beautiful, nearly art pieces. Many are manufactured in a limited run, in limited quantities, and inscribed with the serial number on the mod, which provides added value to collectors.​

Mechanical Cons:

No protection circuitry. This is the big one for beginners. The new user must always be aware of the signs of a short circuit, which could cause the battery to vent hot gas or go into thermal runaway with flames or exploding. The metal tube mechs must have ventilation holes in case you experience a venting episode, which should prevent your mod from becoming an exploding pipe bomb.

No voltage regulation of the battery. As the battery drains from use, the vape quality will diminish.

I really like how you reply to stuff vary well done and Knowledgeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Since regulared mods have boost now for quick firing and r so powerful ull never use all the power or ull melt ur coils. For example my Paranormal is only set on 80 watts boost and it fires 9 wraps of a fused clapton with ease. If I set it higher I get a burnt taste. Is there any point in owning a mech mod or r they obsolete now? Some people love mechs. Is it cause they give better flavor? Why do people still use them? If u use a mech tell me why.

Mechs have an Inherent Simplicity that many find Appealing.

There is also the Satisfaction of building the Coil to match the Hit you want. Verses pushing an Up/Down button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread