The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
Out of curiosity, how long was it submerged?

Long enough to take the three pictures.

The idea was not to have it live there, but to be under water long enough to represent dropping it in a mud puddle or sink or....cough...toilet.

I trashed the battery immediately, it was near it's end of life. It was a used 18490 that came with my first satin black ProVari and I had bought replacement batteries since then.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I would have let it sit in rice for several days myself. But you got lucky I guess.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Probably should have.....I had completely shaken it out and used twisted up paper towel to get all the standing water out that I could find. Also used my cell phone light to look for any standing moisture. Only after I could see no further standing drops did I put it in the rice.

I also put the bag of rice on the window sill which got close to 80 to 85 degrees here in south florida that day.

It really was during this test that I truly appreciated the open design of the tube.

When the E-LVT failed it's watertight integrity, I had to take the entire mod apart. There were so many nooks and crannies for moisture to live. I had to take it apart and dry it several times, In fact it was this taking apart and reassembling it multiple times that killed it.

The ProVari, I knew would flood because of the vent hole in the bottom of the tube, but it was very easy to fit paper towels up there and get to the standing moisture. The ProVari was never designed to be water resistant, but t turned out to be better suited to recover from exposure to moisture.

Last edited:

brickfollett

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2013
Washington
For the record, that E LVT is a sweet little mod, but its a dang rattlesnake! I can only hear it when I slap a Protank II on there. Never knew what people were talking about with the sound they could hear off of VAMO's or whatever other mods have the low hz chip rating, but yeah, the E-LVT is a confirmed rattlesnake. I've only had it for a few days, and so far I don't regret it.

I definitely don't regret the Provari and its been kicking around for 6 months. Finally got the 18650 extension cap for it, and a pair of AW-IMR's for the Provari and the E-LVT.

Ebay sent me some cheapy ultrafire 18650 that I burned through in an hour (fully charged) on the E-LVT. What a joke! IMR's are the way to go for sure

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I wasn't impressed with the E-LVT. It was IMHO a lot of cheap components thrown into a nearly indestructable case and passed off as a higher quality mod than it is.

I wouldn't have known this without taking it apart. When I did take it apart several things bothered me. double sided sticky tape to mount the lens to the LED display. The placement of the USB port cover hinge in relation to the micro USB connector, the lack of sealant on the flashlight and 510 connector. (I could actually inhale on the 510 connector and get airflow).

Of course I could have gotten a bad one....But it is a rattlesnaker...that's to be sure...

I'll keep my MVP's for travelling and my ProVari's for everything else.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
CNN placed a cellphone in salt water for 2 weeks under high pressure and they removed the chip and photos a and videos were accessed. Btw battery was in the phone. Test was done to find out if passengers from flight 370 could be found and downloaded

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
was the provari on when it was dunked?

if not, i'm not impressed, personally.

this thing works nearly 2 years after the same treatment your provari went through...

1zxmhqv.jpg

it was doused with grape juice (through the keyboard and all the internal components) before it was bathed inside and out.

P.S. your provari would have been ready to vape in a few minutes if it was blown out with an air compressor with a water trap installed.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

if not, i'm not impressed, personally.

this thing works nearly 2 years after the same treatment your provari went through...

1zxmhqv.jpg

it was doused with grape juice (through the keyboard and all the internal components) before it was bathed inside and out.

P.S. your provari would have been ready to vape in a few minutes if it was blown out with an air compressor with a water trap installed.

Just.... wow. :lol:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A

There was a battery in it..

But obviously from the photos, he wasn't firing it underwater..

Not an expert in this area.. How much of a difference would it make with the power being on vs. off?

From what I understand, since there's a battery in there, it's still capable of drawing power..

I can enter & change any & all menu settings while the ProVari is in the "power off" mode, including check battery..

The LED button also blinks when the power is off & the battery is low...

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Not an expert in this area.. How much of a difference would it make with the power being on vs. off?

dunno, honestly. we'd have to find and ask somebody who's knowledgeable enough and removed and inspected a provari pcb. i haven't. i like my provarii working and under warranty. both of them.

but often times with modern electronics, having a bettery in it while it's turned off, only supplies energy to a very small portion of the board. a very low current portion of the board that's a lot less likely to short when it's wet.

you bring up a good point. it would take three tests to impress me. one with battery installed. one with battery installed and power on. last but not least, one where the battery were installed, power was on and the button was quickly taped down and the mod was dunked with an atty still sizzling.

if it passes those tests, it's indestructible. if not, it's simply modern electronics. i used to send televisions, watches, radios, and all kinds of electronics to be dunked and ultrasonic cleansed all the time. mineral free water won't hurt most electronics and most water won't hurt most electronics if they're not powered on.

i've freaked quite a few people out by putting a hose to their electronics to save them after they've spilled their drinks on them or dropped them in the toilet. it's rare that something goes wrong if they weren't powered on. even then it's almost exclusively that whatever offending compound or liquid is still in the unit when it's powered back on that creates the issue.

methinks it's highly likely that p.opus' e-lvt was still wet somewhere inside when he powered it on.

ADDIT: to be honest, if p.opus used regular tap water... especially if he has hard water... i would highly suggest he do another dip and rinse very will in distilled or deionized water to wash away any minerals he may have deposited on the bus lines of that pcb. when electrical current is supplied to a circuit, ions can form a chain and they'll attract each other to create a short. it may take time and build up, but the less there is, the better.

honestly, i'd be highly interested in the specific gravity and/or general hardness of the water that was used. you see, water itself is known to be an insulator. it's the minerals in the water and the fact that water being a carrier and a liquid allows them free movement for their ions to create a chain that makes water a conductor. it's not the water. it's what's in it.

ADDIT_2: it's also worth mentioning that lithium cells are water and air tight. if oxygen (present in water and air) were to get in, it would react with the paste in the cells violently. so, the battery from the e-lvt and the one in the provari are still perfectly good cells unless p drained them properly for disposal.

Last edited:

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
methinks it's highly likely that p.opus' e-lvt was still wet somewhere inside when he powered it on.

Unit was physically damaged during disassembly and reassembly trying to dry all the components. Nothing shorted out on it.

That is how I got a good feel for the internals of the device. My beef with the E-LVT lies with the fact that it was marketed as being water resistant with youtube videos showing it go through a car wash and people pouring water on it, and it was in reality no more water resistant than any other mod. Not only that, it's construction made recovery from a liquid encounter without disassembly all but impossible.....Therefore you had no way of knowing when you could safely power up the mod again.

The ProVari does not claim to be water resistant, and I have no desire to test fire the device under water. My test was specifically designed to replicate how my 'vari might meet water, and that would be out of my hands, with a battery in it.

The thing about the 'vari is that it was designed to easily dry out (using rice or compressed air) without disassembly. The E-LVT construction did not allow this.

I'm not looking for a mod that I can vape while scuba diving, but if it drops on the wet deck of the boat, I don't want it to die either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread