The ProVari challenge....(or just how stupid am I.....)

Status
Not open for further replies.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
you don't have to explain to me, p.

i'm not arguing that you did anything wrong.

i'm simply rebutting the impression that people are bound to extrapolate from your experiment with reliable facts.

i may have missed, it, but i was under the impression that when the e-lvt died, you attributed it to false claims of water resistance. either way, i still stand by my statement.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
i may have missed, it, but i was under the impression that when the e-lvt died, you attributed it to false claims of water resistance. either way, i still stand by my statement.

Indirectly I suppose. I surely did not expect it to flood. The fact that it did flood required full disassembly and reassembly. Several times because the unit was acting flaky after it's bath. During one of these reassembly attempts, I broke it. Something came off the circuit board.

If you read the review thread, I did mention several time how I liked the fact that you could disassemble it to dry it out. This was when I was still optimistic that I could save it.

The final analysis that I made was not ultimately based on it's water resistance or non-water resistance. It was based on short battery life in 18650 mode, bad design of the USB ports door interfering with charging and difficulty using in passthrough mode.

Although shocked and disappointed in it's lack of water resistance I couldn't hold that against it since I knowingly subjected it to a harsher test than it was rated for.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
dunno, honestly. we'd have to find and ask somebody who's knowledgeable enough and removed and inspected a provari pcb. i haven't. i like my provarii working and under warranty. both of them.

but often times with modern electronics, having a bettery in it while it's turned off, only supplies energy to a very small portion of the board. a very low current portion of the board that's a lot less likely to short when it's wet.

you bring up a good point. it would take three tests to impress me. one with battery installed. one with battery installed and power on. last but not least, one where the battery were installed, power was on and the button was quickly taped down and the mod was dunked with an atty still sizzling.

if it passes those tests, it's indestructible. if not, it's simply modern electronics. i used to send televisions, watches, radios, and all kinds of electronics to be dunked and ultrasonic cleansed all the time. mineral free water won't hurt most electronics and most water won't hurt most electronics if they're not powered on.

i've freaked quite a few people out by putting a hose to their electronics to save them after they've spilled their drinks on them or dropped them in the toilet. it's rare that something goes wrong if they weren't powered on. even then it's almost exclusively that whatever offending compound or liquid is still in the unit when it's powered back on that creates the issue.

methinks it's highly likely that p.opus' e-lvt was still wet somewhere inside when he powered it on.

ADDIT: to be honest, if p.opus used regular tap water... especially if he has hard water... i would highly suggest he do another dip and rinse very will in distilled or deionized water to wash away any minerals he may have deposited on the bus lines of that pcb. when electrical current is supplied to a circuit, ions can form a chain and they'll attract each other to create a short. it may take time and build up, but the less there is, the better.

honestly, i'd be highly interested in the specific gravity and/or general hardness of the water that was used. you see, water itself is known to be an insulator. it's the minerals in the water and the fact that water being a carrier and a liquid allows them free movement for their ions to create a chain that makes water a conductor. it's not the water. it's what's in it.

ADDIT_2: it's also worth mentioning that lithium cells are water and air tight. if oxygen (present in water and air) were to get in, it would react with the paste in the cells violently. so, the battery from the e-lvt and the one in the provari are still perfectly good cells unless p drained them properly for disposal.

buzz+killington+_41ce7276ef3cab662d35876ce630ad95.jpg

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
dunno, honestly. we'd have to find and ask somebody who's knowledgeable enough and removed and inspected a provari pcb. i haven't. i like my provarii working and under warranty. both of them.

but often times with modern electronics, having a bettery in it while it's turned off, only supplies energy to a very small portion of the board. a very low current portion of the board that's a lot less likely to short when it's wet.

There is one thing it won't do when the power is off: Check the atomizer (it brings up "Lo")

Obviously it can't, since it would have to be firing..

And when checking the battery when the power is off, it doesn't actually fire, either (like it does when power is on) -- though it does still give the battery level read-out...

So there is some difference between power on & power off...

And don't worry about your related tangents.. all part of the thought process

Have you ever applied water directly to an OLED display?

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Have you ever applied water directly to an OLED display?

not yet. not looking forward to it, either. though, the provari is far from the only mod without OLED.

as far as what the provari does and doesn't do when it's on or off, that's irrelevant until we know what is actually powered on components wise on the pcb under each state.

PaulBHC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
Arizona
Thanks for the test. You are ... a curious fellow.

We bought a couple of cheap ego kits for backup batteries. One of them had a sticky button that finally stuck. I wasn't home. The wife ran it to the sink as it got hotter and hotter and doused it under the faucet. That didn't kill it so she half filled an empty coffee can with water, dropped it in and set it outside. It swelled up in the middle of the tube but didn't blow.

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
I'm really confused about something.

It doesn't make any sense.

How can a thread about the Provari be a week old and it hasn't turned into 40 pages of back and forth arguing?

Itisamystery.gif

you ready?

here goes...

:D

just give it time. folks will forget all about that and post anyway.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
Hehehe...

Reminds me of someone I know.

We were radar technicians together in the Army in our youth. He was not a very good technician. As a matter of fact, almost every unit he worked on (we did component level repair on circuit boards) ended up so messed up in had to be scrapped.

Years later, I ran into him again. He went on to get his EE subsequent to discharge from the Army, and now works for NASA.

His job?

Destructive Testing.

Just goes to show, any talent can be beneficial in the proper circumstances. :lol:

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
as far as what the provari does and doesn't do when it's on or off, that's irrelevant until we know what is actually powered on components wise on the pcb under each state.

But wouldn't figuring out what it does in each state help determine which components are powered on? :confused:

I wouldn't say that's exactly irrelevant..

Gato del Jugo

ProVarinati
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2013
US o' A
We bought a couple of cheap ego kits for backup batteries. One of them had a sticky button that finally stuck. I wasn't home. The wife ran it to the sink as it got hotter and hotter and doused it under the faucet. That didn't kill it so she half filled an empty coffee can with water, dropped it in and set it outside. It swelled up in the middle of the tube but didn't blow.

Water & batteries don't mix..

She probably should have put it in the coffee can & put that outside -- without the water...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That took guts to dunk a 160.00 dollar provari
I knew it would survive. But then again, it wasn't MY Provari that was getting dunked, but p.opus's. :p

At one time, Provape actually recommended routine maintance dipping of the Provari in an alcohol bath. That's right, dropping the entire Provari in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol. They have recently rescended that recommendation because they are now using a different material for the circuit boards which protected them to liquid immersion.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/493978-isopropyl-flush.html

Regarding the Isopropyl Flush - We do not recommend doing this for units that were purchased after Dec 2012. With some changes we made to the processing of the circuit boards, flushing them with Isopropyl can cause issues. You should no longer do this step! If you have any questions or problems please contact us and we can advise the best action to take.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread