The Rate of Bannings and Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
Okay, It has become vary apparent to me how fast [UK, States] are being banned! I see and hear about banning from several diffrent places and I want to know if Florida is next on the list. And What could we do to preemptively cushion the blow? I am doing my individual part by raising awareness to people in my life but I feel that we are too small of 'cult' to stop such a powerful force. I am of course referring to the tobacco industry.

Oh I also thought about if awareness is raised enough, this could trigger a response to the question "should this be banned?" prematurely. We wouldn't want that. I may not be the most politically involved but I want to make a diffrence! The PV very well could have saved both me and my best friend's life.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
McVapor wrote:
"It has become vary apparent to me how fast [UK, States] are being banned!"

That's not correct. Of the bills introduced in CA, UT, MD, IL and NY to ban the sale of e-cigarettes, the bills were defeated in CA, UT, MD, and apparently in IL (we should know for sure by next week).

So NY is the only state where we're now facing a potential ban on e-cigarette sales.

Also, I was informed that the UK MHMR has extended the public comment period an additional month (until June) on its proposed e-cigarette regulation/ban.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
McVapor: It is not the tobacco industry behind these attempts to ban.

In March, 2009, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association and the Campaign for tobacco-Free Kids issued a joint press release, urging the FDA to remove electronic cigarettes from the market. “While the FDA currently does not have jurisdiction over tobacco products, it does have jurisdiction over other products that contain nicotine including e-cigarettes, which have been marketed as delivering nicotine without tobacco.” Statement of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Additional Examples:
http://www.lungusa.org/associations/states/new-york/publicpolicy/assets/memo9529.pdf
http://www.iafp.com/legislative/SB3174e-cigarettes.pdf

(So) Jersey Girl

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
South Jersey

In March, 2009, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids issued a joint press release, urging the FDA to remove electronic cigarettes from the market. “While the FDA currently does not have jurisdiction over tobacco products, it does have jurisdiction over other products that contain nicotine including e-cigarettes, which have been marketed as delivering nicotine without tobacco.” Statement of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Additional Examples:
http://www.lungusa.org/associations/states/new-york/publicpolicy/assets/memo9529.pdf
The second link (iafp.com) is showing "page not found"

McVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2009
Seminole FL
oh wow, so its the youth that want ecigs to get around under18 sales? If the FDA is banning them and making them 'medical devices', how hard would it be to get one? If it was easy for someone 18+ to get a license to possess it (similar to fishing licenses I guess) then I wouldn't mind. That would give the DEA a reason to enforce underage vaping and provide us with a means to quit smoking.

Why doesn't this happen?

BadState

ECF Veteran
Dec 22, 2009
Redwood City, CA

In March, 2009, the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, the American Heart Association, the American Lung Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids issued a joint press release, urging the FDA to remove electronic cigarettes from the market. “While the FDA currently does not have jurisdiction over tobacco products, it does have jurisdiction over other products that contain nicotine including e-cigarettes, which have been marketed as delivering nicotine without tobacco.” Statement of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network, American Heart Association, American Lung Association and the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids

Additional Examples:

Quoted from the first PDF:

"Most experts agree that these products have their greatest appeal to new smokers, 90% of whom are teens or younger. Established smokers are unlikely to give up their favorite brands for these new products."

Boy, those so called experts have no clue, do they? I'm pretty sure 99% of us are former established smokers.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
McVapor wrote:
"It has become vary apparent to me how fast [UK, States] are being banned!"

That's not correct. Of the bills introduced in CA, UT, MD, IL and NY to ban the sale of e-cigarettes, the bills were defeated in CA, UT, MD, and apparently in IL (we should know for sure by next week).

So NY is the only state where we're now facing a potential ban on e-cigarette sales.

Also, I was informed that the UK MHMR has extended the public comment period an additional month (until June) on its proposed e-cigarette regulation/ban.

Illinois is indeed dead. The Illinois House site was updated yesterday afternoon to reflect that SB 3174 was re-referred to the Rules Committee per Rule 19(a) . . . basically, the bill didn't meet the deadline to get out of Committee, so it's back to the Rules Committee to die for the session.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Quoted from the first PDF:

"Most experts agree that these products have their greatest appeal to new smokers, 90% of whom are teens or younger. Established smokers are unlikely to give up their favorite brands for these new products."

Boy, those so called experts have no clue, do they? I'm pretty sure 99% of us are former established smokers.

Of the 857 people that have taken the CASAA survey so far, only 2 (0.23%) people answered that they did not smoke before using the e-cigarette. Through the forum, we do know of one non-smoker who took up using the e-cigarette with no nicotine so that he could go out and socialize with his friends that are smokers without having to take up the unhealthy practice of smoking real tobacco cigarettess.

So that works out to 99.77% were established smokers. 57.2% smoked for more than 20 years, which gives you a clue to the age of users: The age brackets show a bell-shaped curve with 0% in the under 18 and in the 80 years and older ranges. The majority of users are clustered in the ranges between ages 30 and 59 (total of 76.6% in the three brackets).

76.8% now use no tobacco products at all.

Remember, these are preliminary results. We are only halfway to the goal of 1500 responses.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Illinois is indeed dead. The Illinois House site was updated yesterday afternoon to reflect that SB 3174 was re-referred to the Rules Committee per Rule 19(a) . . . basically, the bill didn't meet the deadline to get out of Committee, so it's back to the Rules Committee to die for the session.

Fabulous news. Good work, gang. Click the dot to view animation.

firework2.gif

v1John

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2010
va
In Illinois, vapers attended the committee meeting, and were prepared to attend again this week. It seems vital for state vaping residents to attend and make it known they are there, their presence can be noted and recorded.

Right now NY needs help badly, if anyone has friends or family in NY who can attend the meetings and let their representatives know, please let them know quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread