The spring mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

xLowEndx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2009
Mesa, Arizona
I've tried the spring mod with mixed results. I get to vape for a long time, but have a slightly burnt taste w/ this mod. I've tried fiber fill, coffee filters, and teabag paper. I got best results w/ the teabag filter, but I still have this burnt taste.

Any suggestions?

Your atty is drying out sooner than you think.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I've found a lot of things can cause a burnt or metallic taste. As I no longer enjoy spending a lot of time tweaking my ecig, I just got used to the tastes. After all, I like Samuel Adams beer, which tastes like a tin can, and Warsteiner Dunkel (dark beer is just burned beer) :)

I like this mod better than others I've seen. I'm farsighted. It really helps my refilling to have the hole in the middle, and insert a glass dropper pipette in the hole.

Dave

jlcanary

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2009
Owensboro, Ky
Has anyone tried a "zippo" wick? It has a metal thread in it, wind it into a coil and stuff it inside...it's designed to retain liquid so I think it should be ideal...I dont have a pv that uses carts, otherwise I would try it.

That actually sounds like it might be worth trying. I think I might have some around somewhere. I might have to find it and try it out.

Sal

ECF Veteran
Is no one worried about the toxicity this might cause if it does touch the atomizer?

This is a great mod, but if you're worried about any type of toxicity then just burn the spring red hot first, Burning it this way seems to take any weird taste away that I have come across with the different springs-- let it cool and there you go --Have been using it in all my carts for over two weeks now and have had no problems -- Just use the ends of the spring and you can get 2 mods out of each one
Thanks to Marcus49ath!! for this killer mod

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
I just tried this mod today on my 901. It was a pain trying to get the filler to work around the spring, but I got it. I used the filler that was in the cart when I got it and it doesn't look like the pictures but it works! I get tons of vapor and I haven't had to top off every couple of puffs. Awesome!

After doing wrapping for a while, it was easier for me to wrap around the spring than to just try to stuff the polyfill in the cart.

As with all of the advice on the forum, what is "easier" is often dependent on other parts of the processes used to maintain good vaping. For example, I'm using polyfill sheets designed for quilting. The fill is easy to cut in squares and all the polyester fibers are unidirectional. I think this is ideal for wrapping. I would imagine that blobs of fill would be difficult to wrap.

HTH,
Dave

xogul

Sep 8, 2009
Portugal, EU
Does the juice in the open space (reservoir) under the filler goes to the mouth?
I'm having a constant struggle with my new dse901 and going to start the cartridge mods just to be sure that the problem isn't in the mouth piece end :D.

So, resuming all the experiments in this topic:
1. spring cut a little, little bit over the cartridge to slightly contact the atomizer;
2. filler around half spring leaving the 'little bit' clear;
3. juice in the cartridge.

The dse901 has a different atomizer design of the 510, it's like an arch. I suppose it's more fragile, how much spring must be sticking out, for those with this model?

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
Fast wicking vs. juice in the mouth vs. throat hit vs. time re-packing/unpacking the filler.

I can't seem to stop trying to find the ideal combination of the above for my 510. It actually makes me happy to hear you are struggling with your 901. Just kidding :)

I'm back to the straw mod again. Polyfibers going top to bottom of the cart. At least with this mod the filler will take topoffs for a whole day, though lots of topoffs certainly aren't "ideal" to me. I'm now extra careful to just add a few drops so as not to overfill.

The great thing about the spring mod is it keeps good contact with the atomizer bridge. After a while, with the straw mod, the polyfill pulls away from the bridge, so I need to use tweezers to re-shape the filler.

As long as the filler is in good shape, wicking starts as quickly with the straw mod as it does with the spring mod.

With the spring mod, I experienced some springs rusting. I have to keep a close I on the rust. Plus it's a pain unwrapping used filler from the spring.

I've decided I'm having a harder time settling on the perfect vape than my daughter is choosing a career :)

Dave W.

acezzz

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
try a small piece of permanent coffee filter mesh on top of the spring and filler. just cut a small enough piece so it covers most of the filler on top and put it in there and push down on it with the end of a pen or something that is about the same size as the point of the atty. make sure you have plenty of spring action and it slides up and down easily in the cart and doesnt hang up. no more burning filler!:rolleyes:

Ragman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 19, 2009
Hamlin, New York, USA
This mod sounds like a nice idea, but it doesnt take care of the 'leeching polyfil" issue, does it?

I mean this mod, from what I am reading, does a better job of heating and shaping the polyfil for more juice capacity and better, more even vaping.

But isnt there still a concern for leeching? (Im new here, I think leeching is when the polyfil fibers detach from the filler and go into your vapor-thus in your lungs, correct?)

Elapid

ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2009
Mississippi
I do the spring mod on an 801 cartridge, but I am using most of the filler over the spring and leaving the spring by itself on the bottom of the cart. Use the filler slightly packed tight over the spring to help hold in the liquid. This gives you a large open area in the back for the liquid and the spring works to take your "fiber barrier" against the atty. I use almost all of a cartridge's filler over the top and down the first 1/4 of the spring. It makes a tight filler over the spring, but you can load up filler in the back where there is no filler. The trick we are trying to do is maximize the liquid held and minimize leaking to much to the atty. Been doing this for three weeks with no flooded attys I am using a Prodigy, which uses a good bit of juice and that might be part of why I'm not getting leaks. Uses most of the fluid as the filler is always in contact with the mesh. Maybe somebody can try this out and see what they think.

wdave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2009
Cincinnati, OH
This mod sounds like a nice idea, but it doesnt take care of the 'leeching polyfil" issue, does it?

I mean this mod, from what I am reading, does a better job of heating and shaping the polyfil for more juice capacity and better, more even vaping.

But isnt there still a concern for leeching? (Im new here, I think leeching is when the polyfil fibers detach from the filler and go into your vapor-thus in your lungs, correct?)

I use quilting batting. 100% polyester. It is easy to cut clean so it is easier to prevent loose fibers. I gave up the spring mod because juice still collected at the top of the polyfill. One spring rusted, so I would need to be more careful buying springs. The straw mod isn't perfect. It worked better for me, and I don't have to use a syringe, which is all I really wanted in the first place.

Dave

Okay, this is my first modding attempt after vapping for 5 days.

I think I'm at least close to the desired result. I'm using a 501 cartridge and after wrapping the filler with the spring and pushing the spring down it got stuck behind the flaps in the cartridge so I cannot remove it. It does seem to give a more consistent vape. Maybe I can find a thinner spring that won't jam when i push it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread