• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

The Ultimate Canadian E-Cig Questions Answered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
Great post, not just for brand new newbies, but for people like me who are just starting to morph from newb to intermediate user.

I'd like to add a comment to a reply already made:

I'd like to add one comment to your post about tobacco flavours. There isn't an exact taste like tobacco, however some are close in the sense that they are a satisfying vape as a tobacco flavoured juice.

I think that's bang on; my very first puff on an E-Cig was with tobacco flavor e-liquid, and while the taste might not be identical to a cigarette if I break it down in detail, the overall sensation was as satisfying as a cigarette, and I was able to substitute vaping for smoking right from the start. Part of this satisfaction was due to the amount of and richness of the vapour, but it was also due to flavor, which was in the cigarette ballpark.

So in terms of 'satisfaction,' e-cigs turned out to be closer to smoking than I thought they would be.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I'm curious, if nic juice is banned in Canada, how come so many online retailers openly sell it? I'm not complaining, but I'm contemplating opening a B&M store (just initial thoughts, nothing planned) and I was wondering, is it because nobody really cares (police etc...) and enforces it, because the fine is so small it's not a big deal if you do get popped...?

It's a typical Canadian approach to issues, don't ask, don't tell.

I think stores are being allowed to sell nicotine e-liquids as long as they don't draw attention to themselves, but if there were complaints made against a store, I think the leniency would end with respect to that particular place.

I saw a notice from Health Canada asking for consumer reports about locations where e-liquid is being sold, and that's another Canadian phenomenon; totally lazy-assed bureaucrats too hopeless to do a Google search on their own.

Regards
Glenn

Wolffy

ECF Veteran
Sep 20, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm curious, if nic juice is banned in Canada, how come so many online retailers openly sell it? I'm not complaining, but I'm contemplating opening a B&M store (just initial thoughts, nothing planned) and I was wondering, is it because nobody really cares (police etc...) and enforces it, because the fine is so small it's not a big deal if you do get popped...?

What Does The Law Say? | A Canadian Guide to Electronic Cigarettes and Related Canadian Law should answer your question. Nic juice is legal in Canada, importing it is not.

LazyStarGazer

Feb 8, 2014
Toronto
What you are looking for requires a variable voltage device; higher voltage delivers more warmth, and much better vape experience. An ego-c twist ($30), lavatube ($60), vmax ($100) or provari ($200) will all improve your experience to varying degrees. Also, grab a vivi nova tank which is so easy to use, holds a lot of juice (3.5 ml) and delivers a very warm vape with tons of flavour and vapor. Do this, and you'll never look back.

Larger tank sounds good. I'd prefer to spend less time refilling, more time enjoying.
Also, these variable voltage devices let you adjust on the fly? To give you more of a throat hit when you want it?

I'm in my 2nd day of researching e-cigs before buying anything.

Loves

Jan 16, 2014
Mississauga,On,CA
You can't be arrested, held, harassed or fined for vaping in any place.

Can you please provide proof of this? I've told many people but I'm always getting dirty looks for vaping at university and stuff, I set my vape to lowest voltage and on my nautilus turn down the air flow but there's always a tiny-nearly invisible cloud that slips sometimes and oh my the panic..

mobydick

Moved On
Feb 16, 2013
montreal
www.ecigood.ca
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered supplier
Hey Kingcobra - I see your point and used to feel the same, but if they're seizing even "the odd shipment", there IS no freedom. And if there is no regulation, the product may always have a negative perception in the eyes of anyone except us vapers! So leaving things alone, may benefit you and I, but the people who most need to know about the benefits of e-cigs, are the millions of smokers who have yet to hear about them. And once you "hear" about them, you need to be able to get them on an ongoing basis so it's as easy to vape as it was to smoke.

Without regulation we won't see them made easily available or their use even recommended, and so for that reason, I for one, would be willing to pay a higher price in exchange for mainstream awareness and availability.

Just my .02 cents!

I agree. I also have concerns about the various shops setting up all over my city (Calgary) who make their own juices. From the sampling a I've tried, there is a huge variety of qualities and I ponder the likelihood of inconsistencies in nicotine levels. When I buy a 9 or a 12, I want to be confident that this is what I am really getting. For safety, a certain amount of 'certification' or regulation might not be too bad an idea. Whatever our various levels of government ends up doing, I would be surprised if it is something we are totally happy with, however. Time will tell. I know our city council sure could use some education about e cigs. One city councillor has been quoted in the media that we vapers are 'smoking liquid tobacco'. Makes my blood run cold for the future of Alberta vapers.

It is illegal to import nicotine from outside Canada. Health Canada has banned it within the country but they cannot make laws. There is no law against making or selling ejuice with nicotine in Canada - yet.

I believe this is the reason so many of our local vape shops are not getting too comfy, ie buying a huge stock, furnishing their shops with more than basics - sooner or later, there will likely be legislation at some level, federally, provincially, and/or civically. No one knows what will happen. There is no research on the safety of vaping. No one can even figure out how to begin to do that, Nevermind comparing it to smoking, scientifically. Logically, that means it will take quite a while, but then legislators are not always known for logic being their primary concern. I suppose public opinion will have as much effect as science and, in my experience, the haters speak loudest.

:unsure:

It is illegal to import nicotine from outside Canada. Health Canada has banned it within the country but they cannot make laws. There is no law against making or selling ejuice with nicotine in Canada - yet.

I believe this is the reason so many of our local vape shops are not getting too comfy, ie buying a huge stock, furnishing their shops with more than basics - sooner or later, there will likely be legislation at some level, federally, provincially, and/or civically. No one knows what will happen. There is no research on the safety of vaping. No one can even figure out how to begin to do that, Nevermind comparing it to smoking, scientifically. Logically, that means it will take quite a while, but then legislators are not always known for logic being their primary concern. I suppose public opinion will have as much effect as science and, in my experience, the haters speak loudest.

:unsure:

Since there is no "law" yet in regards to selling e-juice with nicotine, what really are the consequences?

You can't be arrested, held, harassed or fined for vaping in any place.

Can you please provide proof of this? I've told many people but I'm always getting dirty looks for vaping at university and stuff, I set my vape to lowest voltage and on my nautilus turn down the air flow but there's always a tiny-nearly invisible cloud that slips sometimes and oh my the panic..

Hey about vaping in campus: im currently studying in Humber college and to be honest I havent had any issues about vaping, 4 of my teachers vape during lectures and allow us to vape as well, as long as you dont blow HUGE clouds that can make others uncomfortable! We mostly vape outdoor but during last winter we were all surprised when one of the teachers (and program coordinator) pulled out a hades with a kayfun and started vaping mid exam! It was a fun day though

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
Customs with e-cig and juice:

Towards US:

I had my bag of liquids/gels out in the basket and the radiologist had a quick look at it (2X10mL non-labeled juice bottles right in his face) and that was it. Not a look at the black Russian 91% in the same bag.

Coming back, no one ever glanced at my bag of liquids/gels at the checkpoint. I did not bother declaring to the Canadian customs the 50$ of e-juices I bought in the States since it was a one day business trip, but there were so many people coming back they all looked like they were sick and tired. I even heard one of the shuttle drivers swearing openly on the walkie-talkie :lol: Not a good time of year for these people right now...

Inland security at the airport some weeks before that:

My Provari looked like a detonator at the angle it was showing on the x-ray monitor once -I saw the image and just expected for some questions. I was asked if I had an e-cigarette in my bag and was only required to confirm it was an e-cigarette while the agent took it out. Out of 6 times at a checkpoint, that's the only time it slowed me down. The laptop got swabbed 3 times out of 4, so I didn't bother taking it to the US.

Maybe the explanation on the legality of e-liquids containing nicotine needs to be updated/elaborated on in the original post (since this is stickied)?

From what I understand, e-liquids containing nicotine are perfectly legal to buy, possess, and sell in Canada.

We just aren't allowed importing from or exporting to other countries.

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal
+1

It seems there is a law about it, but it is not precise for other than import/export. Apparently it is extremely hard to get e-juice with nicotine out west, yet I believe I have ordered from Alberta once (can't remember the name of the place.) My local shop won in court against the Provincial government. I think the key here is that they are not advertising e-cigs as a cigarette replacement (and yet most of their customers quit within days to months... legal/illegal is really just a play on words in the end!)

I have attempted to send information to Health Canada on “Vaping” in my workplace. There has been no reply up till now.

I am just preparing a rebottle to my initial request asking them to send me the laws and if any legislation / restriction on the E-Smoking policies in the workplace.

My “Employer” asked me to please stop “Vaping” as there could be some second hand health issue and that I should hold off my “Vaping” until a decision has been made.
I mean "should" does not constitute a concrete reply as I should not do it but there is no law telling me I should stop either.
If it was a "must" then it would be a different ball game.

I just want to be in my rights to “Vapor” at my work desk without harassment from people telling me that it is illegal and I do not have the right to “Vapor”.

Any information would be appreciated.

Health Canada's reply to my question:

"Thank you for contacting Health Canada regarding e-cigarettes. Your inquiry has been directed to the Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate for response as we are responsible for the management of inspection, investigation, monitoring activities and enforcement strategies related to the fabrication, packaging/labelling, testing, importation, distribution and wholesaling of regulated health products for human and veterinary use.

E-cigarette products, including e-liquids, that contain any amount of nicotine or have a health claim fall within the scope of the Food and Drugs Act and require approval by Health Canada before they can be imported, advertised or sold in Canada. To date there is not sufficient evidence that the potential benefits of e-cigarettes in helping Canadians to quit smoking are sufficient to outweigh the potential risks. A company would have to provide evidence of safety, quality and effectiveness in order to have its product authorized. Without this scientific evidence, Health Canada continues to advise Canadians against the use of these products. No such products have been approved, which means that currently, the importation, advertisement and sale of electronic cigarette products, including e-liquid, that contain nicotine and/or have health claims are non-compliant with the Food and Drugs Act, and are therefore illegal.

E-cigarettes with no nicotine and no health claims can be legally sold in Canada as consumer products under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA). Under that legislation, consumer products do not require authorization by Health Canada prior to being sold in Canada. However, the CCPSA requires that companies must ensure the consumer products they manufacture, import, advertise or sell do not pose a danger to human health or safety.

Health Canada urges any Canadian who is trying to quit smoking to talk with their doctor and see what products are available to help them.

Regarding the use of e-cigarettes in public places, this falls under the responsibility of the provincial or municipal/local authorities rather than Health Canada. These authorities are best placed to advise on the application of smoking bans or by-laws on the electronic cigarettes.

We trust that the above information has been helpful."

I guess I will have to contact the provincial or municipal/local authorities :)

vincom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Philippines
I have attempted to send information to Health Canada on “Vaping” in my workplace. There has been no reply up till now.

I am just preparing a rebottle to my initial request asking them to send me the laws and if any legislation / restriction on the E-Smoking policies in the workplace.

My “Employer” asked me to please stop “Vaping” as there could be some second hand health issue and that I should hold off my “Vaping” until a decision has been made.
I mean "should" does not constitute a concrete reply as I should not do it but there is no law telling me I should stop either.
If it was a "must" then it would be a different ball game.

I just want to be in my rights to “Vapor” at my work desk without harassment from people telling me that it is illegal and I do not have the right to “Vapor”.

Any information would be appreciated.
tell employer/employees it is a vaporizer that delivers small amounts of antihistamine for your allergies/asthma

robvanhooren

Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
Canada
Smokey, that's the same boilerplate/formletter HC has been sending out since 2009.

I'd like to get an update on where things sit with the Consumer Chemicals 2001 Regs vs. the Food/Drug Act's 4mg/dose exemption (esp. now that the Schedule F repeal has come into force, with the previous Sched.F text moved to the PDL).

Does anyone have an update on how things are going with Ryanne? (ECV)

I'm really surprised no-one has taken this once-and-for-all definitively in front of a judge.

Where's CCLA.org when you need them?

cheers,

R.

"Thank you for contacting Health Canada regarding e-cigarettes. Your inquiry has been directed to the Health Products and Food Branch Inspectorate for response as we are responsible for the management of inspection, investigation, monitoring activities and enforcement strategies related to the fabrication, packaging/labelling, testing, importation, distribution and wholesaling of regulated health products for human and veterinary use.

E-cigarette products, including e-liquids, that contain any amount of nicotine or have a health claim fall within the scope of the Food and Drugs Act and require approval by Health Canada before they can be imported, advertised or sold in Canada. To date there is not sufficient evidence that the potential benefits of e-cigarettes in helping Canadians to quit smoking are sufficient to outweigh the potential risks. A company would have to provide evidence of safety, quality and effectiveness in order to have its product authorized. Without this scientific evidence, Health Canada continues to advise Canadians against the use of these products. No such products have been approved, which means that currently, the importation, advertisement and sale of electronic cigarette products, including e-liquid, that contain nicotine and/or have health claims are non-compliant with the Food and Drugs Act, and are therefore illegal.

E-cigarettes with no nicotine and no health claims can be legally sold in Canada as consumer products under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA). Under that legislation, consumer products do not require authorization by Health Canada prior to being sold in Canada. However, the CCPSA requires that companies must ensure the consumer products they manufacture, import, advertise or sell do not pose a danger to human health or safety.

Health Canada urges any Canadian who is trying to quit smoking to talk with their doctor and see what products are available to help them.

Regarding the use of e-cigarettes in public places, this falls under the responsibility of the provincial or municipal/local authorities rather than Health Canada. These authorities are best placed to advise on the application of smoking bans or by-laws on the electronic cigarettes.

Last edited:

The Torch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2012
Montreal

I'm no lawyer, but that sentence sounds like a personal conclusion and not a legal conclusion. Non-complying VS illegal has to be interpreted within the premises of the law paragraph that states this specific passage and could still be open to interpretation, therefore not necessarily illegal per se since the product is not sold to everyone (in this case to people 18+ years old... at leas I hope it always is in out country....)

I'm not sure if we should stir the pot too much on this matter as it could turn both ways; right now it more or less a status quo. Stirring the pot can turn things for or against us... Of course, as e-cigs gain in popularity we also risk ANTZ stirring the pot themselves. We should be prepared without going straight to the source. Does anyone know federal/provincial law lawyers, preferably ones that do vape? that's really where we should start. Preparation should come before the stirring...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread