They are fudging the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
7 out of 9 times I understand the reference.

But only 5 out of 8 times I can site it from Memory without having to resort to Google.

Which is effective 9 out of 10 times for finding what I’m looking for on the 1st search.

I see half of those references half as much as I should like, and the other half, I like less than half as much as they deserve!

BTW – The generally excepted Margin for Error on Obscure Literary References is +/- 2 Hours. So Statistically I got it Right.

Maybe not on Jeopardy though. That, and I didn’t phrase my answer in the form of a Question.

But this is far better than that. Half of them I see less than I should like. So I like them. The other half (which I under appreciate) I still like some of, so at least one in four. 5/8 like, by my reckoning!

:confused: :blink:

My brain hurts.... :glare:

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Seriously, the statistics are possible only because the anti-smokers are determined to make any cause of death at any age attributable to smoking. If you smoked 100 cigarettes at any time of your life (the CDC's official definition of a smoker) and then die at any age or any cause, you are in the database as a former smoker. So, if at age 16, I experimented with smoking and smoked 5 packs that year and never smoked again, I am classified as a former smoker. At age 84, I die of a heart attack or another "smoking related condition" my COD can be counted as smoking related in the database even though I smoked those 100 cigarettes 68 years ago. These people are zealots in their quest for prohibition, and until they are called on it, junk science and statistics will continue to thrive.
To further illustrate this, my mother passed away in October at age 88. She was a lifetime anti-smoker who had never touched a cigarette, nor did she approve of smoking in others. In her last couple of years, she had several bouts of pneumonia, a series of strokes, and internal bleeding. In the hospital a few months before her death, she was very very ill. The doctors asked the smoking question at least five times, slightly different each time. Does she smoke? Did she ever smoke? Did she possibly smoke when young? Ad nauseum. At one time a doctor said, "there is no smoking in the hospital," referring I suppose to her non-existent smoking habit. I became angry. SHE DOES NOT AND NEVER DID SMOKE. Why do you keep asking this? Never got an answer, but my guess is they would have loved adding her pneumonia and strokes to the database for smokers/former smokers. It is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Seriously, the statistics are possible only because the anti-smokers are determined to make any cause of death at any age attributable to smoking. ...

Many times Statistical Results are used as a Basis for Funding something.

How much funding should Cancer Research get? If nobody is dying of Cancer, no need for Funding.

So if More death certificates listed cause of death to be Cancer, more funding for Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Cures may be allocated.

I’m just making all this up. But I think you can see how sometimes “Fudging” the numbers can accomplish a Viable Goal. Everyone wants to see a Cure for Cancer. Right?

Of course, it can also be used to Promote Agendas and as Ammunition in the War of Words that surrounds most issues.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
Many times Statistical Results are used as a Basis for Funding something.

How much funding should Cancer Research get? If nobody is dying of Cancer, no need for Funding.

So if More death certificates listed cause of death to be Cancer, more funding for Cancer Prevention, Treatment and Cures may be allocated.

I’m just making all this up. But I think you can see how sometimes “Fudging” the numbers can accomplish a Viable Goal. Everyone wants to see a Cure for Cancer. Right?

Of course, it can also be used to Promote Agendas and as Ammunition in the War of Words that surrounds most issues.

And only those of great wisdom, nimble mind, and razor wit may escape the propaganda machine... I am not sure i know anyone with all three. Two out of three ain't bad. Maybe not good enough, though.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
And only those of great wisdom, nimble mind, and razor wit may escape the propaganda machine... I am not sure i know anyone with all three. Two out of three ain't bad. Maybe not good enough, though.

I’ll tell you something that I have told Many People as an Iron Clad way to Slice thru the Propaganda and Rhetorical BS that surrounds Many Statistical Results.

If you don’t know how the Sampling was done to obtain an Inference about the True Population, you Don’t Know Anything.

Exm:

A National Study was done and the results were shown that 73% of all American Adults do not favor any form of Gun Control.

---

Wow… Sounds like most people in America don’t want gun control. That's Good to Know.

What they failed to tell you was that the Study was conducted in Texas. At a NRA meeting. In Texas at an NRA meeting and the percipients were given Free Tickets to a Gun Show for participating in the Study.

Clearly this Sampling is Not 100% reflective of the True Population.

The Statistics are not flawed. The Results are Flawed when implied to the True Population. In this case, American Adults who have an opinion on Gun Control.

There is a LONG LIST of other Factors that can “Skew” results about a True Population. But to me, the Easiest way to get the results I’m looking for is to choose who I Sample for Any Desired Result.

llamainmypocket

ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
United States
This is the most intellectually irresponsible post I think I have seen on ECF.

It is probably the only intellectual post you've seen here. I did not mean it to be perfect and I am not a statistician but let's not pretend that an argument on the internet requires such a degree of perfection as to deny it ever being expressed. That is not only absurd but also is an ugly kind of perfectionism in it.

You seem to assume that my use of statistics is being used to support a conclusion like I'm presenting a theory yet I am not. They are logical notions in criticism of statistics that are widespread on the internet. A major point in my argument is that 100% of smokers seem to die from smoking yet are dying from exactly the same diseases that kills everyone else, and at practically the same rate as everyone else.

Would it be reasonable to suggest they are fudging the numbers?

You seem to be the only one who struggles with who they are in this discussion. I suggest you Google it.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
What I don't see are any sources given, any studies offered, any acknowledgement of the international science, he's reducing it to some boogeyman called "They" ...who's "They?" and where are "They?"

I'll give you a perfect example of fudging the numbers in my next post - with links for verification. I had actually just posted it in another thread.

I'm starting to think we need to call it smoking harm reduction.

I'm kind of with you on that. Most tobacco use doesn't even NEED harm reduction because the health risks are so low, most people would call them "safe." But I am hesitant to throw smokers under the bus. They had a lot of evidence showing their case, too, as the OP pointed out.

So then this was satire? I was suppose to laugh when I read this? Sorry, I thought you were serious...."The anti smokers are contributing any sickness that a person may get to smoking" I mean no one would arbitrarily make this kind of accusation....but your right, it's just words...no biggie.

See the quote below by Ravensfan. It's true that "cause of death" is determined by what funeral directors, doctors and medical examiners put on death certificates. As Robin stated, it is common practice to list "smoking" as a cause if the disease is thought of as a smoking-related disease OR if the person was listed as having ever smoked. The problem is, there is no way of knowing if that cancer or heart disease was also genetic or there were other contributing factors. Someone who smoked and died of lung cancer could also have worked in an asbestos factory or around heavy deisel fumes, but if the person signing the death certificate doesn't know that (and there is no box to check to even ask the question like there is for smoking), then the death gets attributed to smoking. Even worse, researchers would count the death in the number of smoking related deaths if "smoker" was indicated on the death certificate, regardless if the smoker was killed in a car accident or something. (This is documented, but I don't have time to find links right now.) Millions of people die from "smoking-related diseases" that have never smoked or been exposed to significant second-hand smoke. They only call certain cancers and heart disease "smoking-related" because smokers get them more often, not because they are only related to smoking.

I'm a funeral director and have been in the death care field for 20 years. By my "seat of my pants" research, dealing with thousands of cases, smoking kills very few people at a young age, i.e. 40's, 50's, and 60's. The state of Maryland has had the question, "Did tobacco use contribute to the cause of death?" on our death certificates for about 15 years. I have only seen about five cases where the doctor checked yes. Even in cases where it would seem obvious, most doctors will check the "unknown" box. The fact is that it is very hard to tell if smoking causes certain diseases on an individual basis since many of us are predisposed, genetically, to certain diseases. I applaud these doctors for staying true to science and not caving to political pressure. It was due to doctors complaints that the "unknown" box was added. When the question was first put on death certificates the only choices were, yes, no, and maybe.

A National Study was done and the results were shown that 73% of all American Adults do not favor any form of Gun Control.

---

Wow… Sounds like most people in America don’t want gun control. That's Good to Know.

What they failed to tell you was

(Sorry, I can't help but comment on this because I just researched it the other day.)

On the flip side of that, Obama and gun control supporters like to claim that the majority of NRA members support universal background checks. After the bill recently failed to pass, Obama accused the legislators of ignoring the will of the people, because even "a wide majority of NRA households support this legislation."

This is classic smoke and mirrors. This claim is based mostly on 2 surveys, one by CBS/New York times and the other by PEW. It is true that 85% of the people living in NRA households (CBS) and gun owners (PEW) supported increased background checks. But that is meaningless without knowing how many people were involved in this survey, considering there are over 3 million NRA members and even more gun owners. Additionally, those two surveys were asked before the actual legislation was proposed. So those people may have supported some kind of universal background checks, but they couldn't have supported "this legislation" because they hadn't seen it yet.

Only 5% of the CBS/NYT respondents surveyed were NRA members. A total of 13% said an NRA member was in the household. So, 143 of the 1,100 surveyed were somehow associated with the NRA and about 122 of them agreed with universal background checks. That's around one third of 0.01% of the 3 million or so NRA members. Hardly a majority.
http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/557118/the-new-york-times-cbs-news-poll-on-guns.pdf

For the PEW survey of 1,502 people, it came down to just 213 "gun owners" (NRA members were not identified) supported universal background checks.
http://www.people-press.org/files/legacy-pdf/01-14-13 Gun Policy Release.pdf

To put it in perspective, there are around 8 million LGBT folks in the US. If Obama claimed the majority of LGBT citizens opposed gay marriage, based on 2 surveys that showed 335 LGBT people opposed gay marriage, would anyone take it seriously?? (I support gay rights, BTW. So this isn't meant to be disrespectful to the LGBT community, just making a point.)

Put simply, it's a lie to even claim that we know that the "majority" of NRA members support universal background checks based on these surveys! (And no, I'm not an NRA member.)

Last edited:

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
OK, as promised, a perfect example of ANTZ fudging the numbers (with links.) I had actually just posted this in another thread, so I'm just pasting it here:

Some interesting numbers regarding the smoking rates that people should know...

The ANTZ like to claim that their methods work. Higher taxes, banning flavors, smoking bans, insurance rates, not hiring smokers and billions spent on cessation programs and pharmaceutical products has reduced the smoking rate from 25.7% in 1991 to just 19% in 2011 (20 years.) Wow! A 25% reduction. Still needs improvement, but not bad considering the smoking rate in 1981 was between 32% and 33%, right?

But if you actually look at the numbers the CDC reported for those years, the clear picture of success gets quite fuzzy.

In 1991, there were 46.3 million smokers (and the number was nearly the same ten years later in 2001 at 46.2 million.)

In 2011, there were 43.8 million smokers. Just a measly 5.4% (2.5 million) reduction in the number of smokers after 20 years. Would anyone reasonably call that a success?

Cigarette Smoking Among Adults -- United States, 1991
Cigarette Smoking Among Adults --- United States, 2001
Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults — United States, 2011

(PS. The number of smokers in 1981 was around 51 million. So today's numbers are just a 14% reduction in over 30 years!)

Last edited:

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
I think the entire OPs statement rings with truth when you look at the brief history of thing. Smoking is so vilified by the public that anything negative about it is considered gospel by the many. It does not matter who, or how thin the evidence is to support it. Combine that with all the things that give you cancer on Monday then by Friday will be sure to save your life, you end up with a pretty jaded public.

If you're a smoker you get vilified by all these reports, and you feel guilty then you hear something totally off the wall like "third hand smoke": If you go outside and smoke then comeback in and sit on the sofa the smoke residue will get on the sofa and give the next sitterby cancer. The next day orange juice, red wine and thinking about elephants will give you cancer. You eventually begin to question it all and it makes you not even trust the truths that are out there. It's a "boy who cried wolf" scenario. So yes tongue and cheek as it may be it rings true.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
On the flip side of that...

So help me, if I wasn't happily married for 44 years, I'd 'stalk' ya!!!
flowers.gif

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Sorry Scott, - read your post and can't resist. LOL

thefarside.jpg

Admittedly, there is probably someone out there somewhere who believes it wholeheartedly and put it in a gvt report as "Proof".

Many of these same people are trying to convince us that PEOPLE are responsible for climate change when the truth is the Earth has undergone both warming and cooling periods long before man ever walked the face of the Earth. I mean we all learned about how wooly mammoths walked the icy tundras of North America in history class right? Did they cause the planet to warm up by using hairsprays with chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's)? Did they pollute the air by driving around in gas guzzling Hummers? Of course not. I am wondering why anyone still believes these liars or anything they say.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
And do what any responsible government would do....

TAX THE BUGGERS!!!!! MONEY!!! MORE MONEY!!!! WAHOO!! MORE MONEY FOR MEEEEEE!!!

Grrr
You also have to look at other contributing factors. What if a person is morbidly obese and smokes? What caused their death? With today's politically motivated science, they probably get counted twice. That way we can sue the tobacco companies and the sugary drink manufacturer.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
So help me, if I wasn't happily married for 44 years, I'd 'stalk' ya!!!
flowers.gif

LOL!

Honestly, I can't help myself anymore. I see a claim using numbers or percentages and I simply can no longer take them at face value. ANTZ lies have taught me that because everything I thought I knew was a lie. Never again. I have to research EVERYTHING myself now before I will believe (or repeat) it.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA
Sorry Scott, - read your post and can't resist. LOL

View attachment 201774

Admittedly, there is probably someone out there somewhere who believes it wholeheartedly and put it in a gvt report as "Proof".

This is the honest truth: I was visiting a friend of my sister's once (a woman in her 70's and no, she was not senile), and during one of the conversational topics the subject of dinosaurs came up. She commented how dangerous it must have been for man to live among dinosaurs. Her comment took me by surprise as I thought she was joking. I quickly realized she was dead serious. I tried to educate her on the fact that homo-sapiens came waaay after the dinosaurs were extinct and she continued to defend her point. I finally asked her where she read it, and she said she had watched a movie once.

Wow...!:blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread