USA leads the planet in vaping by far

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
new york
I was surprised by this chart that I recently came across.

It shows that the USA is the biggest market by far for vape products.

There are still over a billion, old fashioned tobacco smokers in the world. vaping has been around for many years already, yet there are only slightly over 40 million vapers in the world, of which I am proud to call myself a part of that wise group.

With all of the anti-vape propaganda and nonsense taking place, it seems that there is a movement out there to keep those billion+ cig smokers hooked on their cigs and also to deny the 40+ million vapers out there the freedom and the choice to remain cig free.

I guess it's better that millions of people die from cancer, because vaping is just pure evil and the work of satan, or something like that. Oh, and think about the kids. Nevermind the kids who would previously just start smoking plain old regular cigarettes before vaping ever existed. That was never a big deal.

Here is the chart I found showing the top vape markets in the world.

And notice how there are no third world countries on the list? Isn't vaping banned in India? That's insane. That country has a huge population. How stupid of them. Their actions are contributing to the deaths and diseases of an awful lot of people.

_108797106_fc2e6ed1-46a7-4c7d-9a45-2e9b1780aa9b-nc.png

And here is a link to the article which the chart came from:

How many people vape?

Last edited:

DarrenMG

ECF Veteran
May 9, 2015
No idea where this data came from, and I can't tell if that report was about devices, e-juice sales, both? But sure, it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the USA spends the most on vape devices.

From an alternative point of view though, the current focus on vaping being evil remains mis-guided IMHO.

British American Tobacco - The global market

That's BAT's own report, and they probably have spent a reasonable amount on trying to come up with some accurate numbers. The main thing to point out is -

"The latest global figures (2017) suggest that the THP and vapour market is worth an estimated US$18 billion, while the oral tobacco and nicotine market is worth an estimated US$12.5 billion."

and

"The most recent estimates for the global tobacco market (2017) indicate it is worth approximately US$785 billion (excluding China). More than US$700 billion of this comes from the sale of conventional cigarettes, with over 5,400 billion cigarettes consumed per year."

Why again this attention on vaping as a #1 priority item? Rhetorical question, no need to answer that :p

p.s. the answer is in that same report - "Cigarettes are a reliable source of tax revenue for governments worldwide, and ..."

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No idea where this data came from,
From the note apparently from behind a nearly $1000(!) paywall, so in practice who the heck knows?
and I can't tell if that report was about devices, e-juice sales, both? But sure, it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the USA spends the most on vape devices.

From an alternative point of view though, the current focus on vaping being evil remains mis-guided IMHO.

British American Tobacco - The global market

That's BAT's own report, and they probably have spent a reasonable amount on trying to come up with some accurate numbers. The main thing to point out is -

"The latest global figures (2017) suggest that the THP and vapour market is worth an estimated US$18 billion, while the oral tobacco and nicotine market is worth an estimated US$12.5 billion."

and

"The most recent estimates for the global tobacco market (2017) indicate it is worth approximately US$785 billion (excluding China). More than US$700 billion of this comes from the sale of conventional cigarettes, with over 5,400 billion cigarettes consumed per year."

Why again this attention on vaping as a #1 priority item? Rhetorical question, no need to answer that :p

p.s. the answer is in that same report - "Cigarettes are a reliable source of tax revenue for governments worldwide, and ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread