thicker gauge / diminished flavor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
I've been playing around with different types/gauges of wire for the Ody, trying to find that perfect sweet spot for 3.7v vaping, and with my last build, using 32g Kanthal, it still produces crazy vapor and quite good TH, but the flavor seems diminished. Before using this wire, I felt like flavor was the Ody's strong point.

The thing I like about the slightly thicker stuff, is that you can use a longer segment for the R portion of the coil, with plenty of loops around the wick, and still hit a nice low resistance... I'm just not getting nearly as much flavor as I was with a very small length of much thinner wire.

Has anyone else noticed similar results, or am I just crazy? I would take another stab with the same wire, before passing judgement, but so low on wick, each build is precious.

Shaitaan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
I've gotten some real nice 2 ohm coils in my ody with kanthal 32ga, and I notice a very large difference...so much better flavor and vapor production over my iatty v1 (doesn't help being really airy too, havent perfected closing off some of the air flow yet lol), which is using the same kanthal, and coil is 2.1 ohms atm in that...

bpaulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2010
midwest
Yeah, Idunno - I took it apart and rebuilt it, using the same wire actually, and now it's tasting a lot better. Not really even sure what the difference is, other than maybe the possibility that the new wick is working better - since nothing changed with the wire, that must be it

Anyway, ignore my original post - fluke i guess

Major

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2011
Panama City, Florida
www.ggecig.com
I have made some .... ugly coils as to looks and some fair ones. It may all be in my head but I am not a TH guy nor HV. The density of the vapor and its flavor are what I judge my vaping experience by.

That said, as long as they work at all, I am still blown away by the flavor. I have used everything from 32 to 36 AWG R wire and maybe because it came out better as to form, I think my 36 Kanthal is slightly better but only ever so marginally than the 32.

critterbug

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2009
Herein, VA
I got the 32g for the same reason, bp - to be able to make more turns around the wick. When I started making a loop in the wick, I was getting the wire to turn only about 3 times. Now I'm getting 5 turns, but I think I'm getting it a little too tight, as well. The flavor is still great, but I do have to give the juice some time to resaturate the wick again. Not a huge difference, but I'm going to try not winding so tight next time.

Shaitaan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
I have made some .... ugly coils as to looks and some fair ones. It may all be in my head but I am not a TH guy nor HV. The density of the vapor and its flavor are what I judge my vaping experience by.

That said, as long as they work at all, I am still blown away by the flavor. I have used everything from 32 to 36 AWG R wire and maybe because it came out better as to form, I think my 36 Kanthal is slightly better but only ever so marginally than the 32.

yea i like having a huge plume of vapor reminiscent of my cigar-smoking days, and the flavor....but I also like to have at least a slight throat hit there...for me when there's none, it isnt satisfying to me... with the 32ga. kanthal, I've had no problems. i can use the same coil on my 3.7v devices, or rock it on my TS at 7.4v like a cannon....with 36ga. , I can still build a 3 ohm coil and burn it up at 7.4v if I'm chain vaping too long (already did that twice in the same night lol), it doesnt happen w/ my 32ga., and I do not notice a difference at all for vapor or flavor production between the 32 and 36 ga. Kanthal if i build coils of the same resistance in my iatty at least, and I've been building a lot of coils lately in it for the past couple of days, doing some comparisons....my ody, i havent touched it since the last coil was built a few days ago, enjoying the 'Atomic Fireball' vape in it right now, so I won't tear it down until it needs to be...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread