Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Am I getting too much nicotine?
If you're getting too much nicotine you will feel like crap.
If you don't feel like crap, then no, you are not getting too much nicotine.

Is it okay to vape around other people?
Yes, it is perfectly fine.

There have been studies that show we exhale almost no nicotine.
Not that having other people get a little nicotine is a big deal, since they probably get more from eating food than they'll ever get from what you exhale.

I am having xxxx symptoms now that I've started vaping.
Are you sure those symptoms are not part of the well known side effects of quitting smoking?
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...hen-quitting-tobacco-changing-ecigarette.html

I like cauliflower.
Can't help you there.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
If there are any other common concerns I can address, please let me know.
:)

'Kay!

Ahem...

For some years now, I've been inhaling the combustion products of tobacco into my lungs, a process that is known to kill 400,000 people per year in the US alone. I'm concerned vaping may be unhealthy for me.

Also...

What are you doing with that cauliflower? That's disgusting!

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
For some years now, I've been inhaling the combustion products of tobacco into my lungs, a process that is known to kill 400,000 people per year in the US alone. I'm concerned vaping may be unhealthy for me.
That's a valid concern, and I can only tell you that there have been no "real" medical issues related to vaping that have been uncovered yet.
And that is in spite of lots of people with lots of money trying their best to find any.

But still, we don't know what we don't know, so you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Keep an eye on the flavorings, and take a look at the concerns regarding diacetyl...
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...uppliers-remove-diacetyl-their-e-liquids.html

EDIT: Be forewarned, the above thread is very long
EDIT: And you may come out the other side feeling like you just went through a blender

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
A 1993 study found 3.8 ng/g of nicotine in a cauliflower, which means that a person would have to eat 263.4 grams of it to equal the effects of being in a room with a smoker for three hours. A previous study, however, found that amount to be much greater -- 16.8 ng/g. The latter estimates the same person would eat 59.5 cauliflowers before experiencing the effects of passive smoking.1

1) N Engl J Med 1993; 329:437August 5, 1993DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199308053290619

ETA: That's a direct quote, but I'm guessing they meant a person would have to eat 59.9 grams of cauliflower, as opposed to 59.9 cauliflowers, since the individual weight of each cauliflower is unknown.

Last edited:

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
I would like to say that statistic:

process that is known to kill 400,000 people per year in the US alone.

Is pretty hard to believe. This is NOT a swipe at you mkbilbo, I have heard this same statistic bandied about as well. I am simply stating it sounds cooked to me. And not cooked with a nice chicken and cauliflower casserole, either.

Look, cigarettes are dangerous. They make people less healthy, and they kill some of the smokers. Attributing 400,000 deaths annually in the United States seems pretty embellished.

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va
The study I found from the CDC is appalling. It estimates annual US deaths at 448,000. Here is how smokers are defined.

The 2005--2010 National Health Interview Surveys and the 2010 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System survey were used to estimate national and state adult smoking prevalence, respectively. Current cigarette smokers were defined as adults aged ≥18 years who reported having smoked ≥100 cigarettes during their lifetime and who now smoke every day or some days.

Now this little gem

First, estimates of smoking were self-reported and not validated by biochemical tests. Although studies of self-reported smoking might yield lower prevalence estimates than studies of serum cotinine (a breakdown product of nicotine) (13), it is unlikely that the degree of any underreporting would have changed meaningfully since 2005; thus, underreporting is unlikely to have affected the trends described in this report.

Huh? No change in the under-reporting this habit since 2005, despite the fact that employees can be fired, rejected for consideration of employment, and forced to pay penalties for their health insurance for using tobacco products. Well, this seems like a reasonable conclusion. Lets move along here, nothing to see.

Now the crux of the shakiness of this argument:

However, even light and intermittent smoking is associated with premature mortality (12), and significant health benefits to smokers from reducing the amount smoked have not been demonstrated (1)

So there it is. The amount smoked does not weigh into the attribution of death to smoking. So we are now saying that smoking 2 cigarettes a day carries the same statistical risk as smoking 60?!? C'mon man!

Amazing, voodoo statistics. Something smells rotten, and it ain't the steamed cauliflower!

Last edited:

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
I left my setup in the fridge the other night...

... and still no menthol flav...
smiley-gen125.gif

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I left my setup in the fridge the other night and found it hours later after giving up searching for it. Is there any hope for me or am I just gonna brainfart my way through life?!

Vapira the forgetful
You may need to increase you nicotine strength, since nicotine has been shown to improve memory.
;)

And this has been shown to be true even in non-smokers...
Which I assume you are at this point?
:)

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
I would like to say that statistic:

Is pretty hard to believe. This is NOT a swipe at you mkbilbo, I have heard this same statistic bandied about as well. I am simply stating it sounds cooked to me. And not cooked with a nice chicken and cauliflower casserole, either.

Look, cigarettes are dangerous. They make people less healthy, and they kill some of the smokers. Attributing 400,000 deaths annually in the United States seems pretty embellished.

Well, of course, I was being flippant as seems lately we've had a rash of people who smoked for some years (and/or still are) fretting over the contents of e-liquids...

(Okay, okay. People trying to quit smoking are concerned about their health so what would be the point of leaving one unhealthy habit for another? Still, smoking is so off the scale on "things bad for you" that it always strikes me as a touch silly to worry about e-liquids. Especially once I discovered I'd been inhaling freaking cyanide all those years.)

And, sure, it's an estimate. And how do you tease that out of the data? The mortality rate in the US runs around 2.2 million or so per year. Of those X die of diseases we know smoking can cause or contribute to. But knowing they smoked, how much did that contribute?

Uh... dunno?

And they are lumping the 99 year old smoker who died of lung cancer with the 30 year old. We don't know if the former "would have lived longer". Not really. Not without Star Trekian physics and multiverses and stuff and checking to see how long the guy lived in the universe where he never smoked.

On the other hand, a country this size and a mortality rate of over 2 million per year from all causes, 400K isn't really that outrageous a number.

In the mean time, however...

Please put that cauliflower down.

mkbilbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2013
Austin, TX
www.thesmilingwolf.com
A 1993 study found 3.8 ng/g of nicotine in a cauliflower, which means that a person would have to eat 263.4 grams of it to equal the effects of being in a room with a smoker for three hours. A previous study, however, found that amount to be much greater -- 16.8 ng/g. The latter estimates the same person would eat 59.5 cauliflowers before experiencing the effects of passive smoking.1

1) N Engl J Med 1993; 329:437August 5, 1993DOI: 10.1056/NEJM199308053290619

ETA: That's a direct quote, but I'm guessing they meant a person would have to eat 59.9 grams of cauliflower, as opposed to 59.9 cauliflowers, since the individual weight of each cauliflower is unknown.

Don't take the cauliflower! You'll kill yourself!!!!!

(Well, I'm still trying to figure how to work a Provari reference in here okay?)

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm still trying to figure how to work a Provari reference in here okay

OK, I'll bite. Dear Karnak of the ECF:

Does Provape really need to make a variable wattage option? Or change the one button to three, or change the display screen, to allow it to remain the gold reference standard of APVs? Or is allowing the Provari to simply do what it does, and do it better than any other APV, good enough the the masses of vapedom?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Does Provape really need to make a variable wattage option?
Apparently some people think so.

Or change the one button to three, or change the display screen, to allow it to remain the gold reference standard of APVs?
Apparently some people think so.

Or is allowing the Provari to simply do what it does, and do it better than any other APV, good enough the the masses of vapedom?
There is no such thing as "good enough" in the masses of vapedom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread