• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Thinking about moving to texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

volunteer vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2010
Tennessee
I was thinking about moving to Texas. A few place's i had in mind are Plano,McKinney,Frisco Somewhere in that area. Anyone from those place's can tell me what its like living there?..Is the cost of living high? Is there a lot of work in the telecommunication field..I've done cable TV installs for comcast cable for the last 8 years.I'll be looking for work doing the same thing in Texas. Any advice you guys can give me before i move would be great.

AngelBunny

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2009
McKinney, TX
Hi there :)

I live in McKinney and for me it is just not a good fit ... I was raised in small town West Texas where being humble was a virtue and you were nice and polite to everyone. McKinney is FULL of people with more money than manners ... from what I hear Frisco is much the same. I have been here for three years and would MUCH rather go back to small town living than stay here much longer ... again though, that is just my opinion. As aesthetics go the suburbs north of Dallas are exceptionally beautiful though.

Otherwise ... Texas is a great place to live and raise kids. The local laws tend to be on the side of letting people be unless someone gets hurt because of it and life just seems to go at a slower pace than some places I have visited. I used to spend summers in Atlanta, GA and can remember coming home after a month or so and just feeling the whole world slow down.

Because the suburbs of DFW are still growing rapidly the economy is better here than in other places, but I have no idea specifically about the telecommunications field :)

Wylie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Florida
I moved here five years ago (or so) and really enjoy it. It's interesting that the DFW metroplex has over 5 million people, because it sure doesn't feel like it. You've got all sorts of choices of lifestyle. I guess it depends on what you're looking for, but most of Collin County is very nice. I found prices for homes are lower than they are in most places because they just keep building new, new, new. I got a new home for about half of what it would have cost elsewhere. Plus, it really is a great place to raise kids. As my youngest is about to graduate, we're considering a move to north Richardson since we won't be in the market for the superior schools in Collin Co. Dallas Co. has good schools, too, but it's really hit or miss. The further south you go the rougher the neighborhoods, it seems. At least that's what I hear.

To Angel's point, McKinney, Plano, and Frisco are all similar in attitude (IMHO) which is suburban escapism-- nice homes, nice yards, you leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Wylie's a little more relaxed, but traffic is getting worse (as it is everywhere in the metroplex).

On the job question, there are many professional jobs available but we had a big telecomm bust a few years back, so for your particular skills I'd really find a job before packing your bags. I mentioned the cost of housing is low, but so is the general cost of living.

Hope that helps.

newbutt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm not a big fan of the north of Dallas area,it seems it takes forever to get anywhere. I've been in the Hurst,Euless,Bedford area since the 60's & it's still my preferred area. DFW=8min, Arlington=10min,downtown Dallas=15min,downtown Ft Worth=15min.
But come on down to Texas,it's like a whole 'nother country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread