Status
Not open for further replies.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
:p

TEAZER!! Still way too little....

Slopes, unless I can see under the bonnet I'm gonna buy the Toyota. :)

Blimey! Maybe this one's good enough?..

72agwz.jpg

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
That is an amazing piece! If you ever decide to do production let me know.

Unfortunately, this pipe works for a time and then the electronics seem to go into a heating feedback loop (gets hotter and hotter) - the only way to stop it popping is to turn the whole thing off. I've tried several different mosfets - but keep getting the same problem. The project is on hold until I am able to resolve this.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
I really hope you get this sorted slopes. I would suggest trying something, but I bet you have looked into everything possible. Instead I will offer this glimpse for inspiration, motivation and support:

IMG_20140117_165904.jpg

Inspired picture, asdaq! :p :laugh: Nice looking pipe too!

Any suggestions for a fix would be most welcome. I mostly followed raidy's and scubabat's circuits for this pipe. They worked perfectly for the first few days and then the problems began. First, the atty would occasionally remain activated when the touch circuit was broken... then - whether the atty was activated or not - the enclosed circuit began increasing in heat until the whole thing was turned off (battery removed).

It's pretty heartbreaking having to saw holes into something which took a lot of time to make in order to replace components which initially worked well (the state my poor Nano is in now).

I've tried variations on mosfet and resistor values but to no avail. I read somewhere about a component which can be added to protect mosfets from becoming stuck in the 'aways on' position (apparently causing a feedback loop which burns it out). But I don't know enough about electronics to fully understand this or which specification this component should be to protect these touch circuits.

I wondered about hiring the services of a circuit designer to come up with a small reliable solution - as I'd love to get the pipe finished and working without problems down the line.

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Are you using a heatsink for the FET? You mentioned an alu frame, maybe it needs to be separated to not conduct the heat to the FET or resistor as this changes the threshold values. From all the components in there, the following produce heat in operation: coil, battery, resistor and MOSFET and even the wires.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
Keeping my eye on this thread...

Looks great. The size is the best thing for me.

Well - the Nano is on the shelf until I find a robust mosfet touch circuit. :( Here's a video showing how it all fits together. Note the LEDs in the bowl are already lit... because the mosfet is already on the way out. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread