This is not a pipe...

Status
Not open for further replies.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
Slopes, have you considered a tact switch instead of the touch switch circuit? I'm busy making one with the switch on the side of the bowl - recessed so that you cant activate it when carrying in your pocket. The button is so small you hardly notice it. Will try and post a picture of the progress a bit later.

My MkII version (Top Loader) uses a leaf switch in the mouthpiece - it works well, but (of course) requires a physical action to turn it on/off. I want to build a pipe that's so effortless to use it would be like the real thing.

Looking forward to seeing your build.

slopes

ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2009
London, UK
Are you using a heatsink for the FET? You mentioned an alu frame, maybe it needs to be separated to not conduct the heat to the FET or resistor as this changes the threshold values. From all the components in there, the following produce heat in operation: coil, battery, resistor and MOSFET and even the wires.

I'm not using a heatsink for the FET. The coil is a long way from the FET and resistors - so I guess the heat from the atty would not affect its operation. During testing the resistors don't appear to generate any heat. During testing it all works perfectly well (the FET might get luke warm only, at most). It's only after I have shielded the working FET and resistors in insulation tape and enclosed them into the body of the pipe that I begin to notice more heat... and eventually the frustrating failure of the circuit. Perhaps I should try bolting the enclosed FET to the aluminium body of the pipe - so it acts as a heatsink?

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Aha. I was more worried that heat was sinking along the frame but that doesn't sound like that is the case. The insulation sounds like it is the culprit though. Could the FET have it's own heatsink somehow? Or, if it were connected to the frame to a section that was not in solid connection to the rest, especially the atty portion so that it does not conduct the heat towards the FET. I've noticed that with most of my mouthpieces, the tube part heats up quite a bit, but the tip does not as it is seperated by a NBR o-ring, makes a hell of a difference.

Alu is one of the best conductors of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread