This is why I HATE e-cigs (warning: rant mode enabled)

Status
Not open for further replies.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
First off, I spent a lot of money trying different ones. They all sucked. NONE of them hit like a real cigarette. There is no satisfaction from an e-cig.

But I'm sick enough of real cigarettes that I finally settle on a particular brand. Okay, these are alright I thought. I can get by with these I thought. They're not great, but whatever. And then BAM! All of a sudden they're out of stock of their only clearomizers that are worth a crap. And I mean they've been out for MONTHS!

I order stuff online, wait a few days and then when it finally comes, it's the wrong stuff. These clearomizers don't even fit or this isn't what I ordered happens way too often.

I used to hate my weekly pilgrimage to the 7-11 to buy a carton of cigarettes, but this is turning out to be worse. With real cigarettes, at least I knew what I was getting and the product was consistent and I NEVER had to worry about getting more. There was no messing around with chargers. All you need is a cigarette and a source of flame. Setting things on fire is easy.

Since my e-cig of choice is (according to them) only able to supply at the whim of some factory in China I have a table littered with used clearomizers - just in case I can't get a new one, maybe I can get by with a used one I already decided was pretty much dead.

So when I was out earlier today, I ALMOST bought a pack of cigarettes. Really, all I need is a pack of cigarettes, an empty beer bottle to put the ashes and a few matches. What could be simpler?

But no, now I've got chargers. I've got batteries and clearomizers and bottles of nicotine juice cluttering up the place.

And while e-cigs are cheaper, you get what you pay for and in my experience everything is a gamble. I read reviews here and considered a few different e-cigs. Then I shelled out somewhere around $100 only to find out it was a piece of junk (I'm trying not to use profanity here). Money completely wasted. I'd have been better off grinding it up and rolling it into a cigarette.

But I didn't buy real cigarettes. Instead I bought a Vuse. It tastes horrible, but I got a free one a while back and I know it delivers somewhat consistently until it's dead. It's not overly heavy. It's not clumsy to pick up between 2 fingers. I'm not shilling for them though. I absolutely detest the fact that I was driven to buy one.

At least with a cigarette you knew when you were done. There's a certain feeling you get as you take that first drag off a real cigarette just as you get it lit. There's a different feeling as you finish it and snuff it out in an ashtray or flick it away (please do NOT litter!). It's just satisfying. Sometimes it's even better than sex.

With e-cigs, it's just always sort of burning in the ashtray. Unless the battery is dead or the clearomizer is empty or just too used up. There's no climax. That's another thing I hate. If my e-cig isn't hitting well, I don't immediately know what's wrong. It could be a few things, a couple of which don't just work or not work but instead go from working okay to not working at all, but gradually.

And I get annoyed at the e-cig zealots. I know this is probably going to step on some toes here, but this is how I honestly feel. Whenever e-cigs come up on forums around the internet there are always a handful of zealots. They post pictures of their ridiculous looking "mods". Okay, admittedly some of them are cool looking, but why bother? They're also the ones who claim that "it's just water vapor". Yeah, right. What's in the flavoring? Who makes sure they don't use lead and mercury as flavoring? No one, that's who.

Sure, e-cigs are probably much safer than conventional cigarettes, but that's just a feeling I have not supported by any scientific evidence. At least with REAL cigarettes there was no question about whether or not we were breathing in toxins.

I see e-cigs as a nicotine delivery system. I know some people just vape for the flavor and don't have any nicotine in what they're vaping, but I really wonder about them. Are they just trying to look cool? Are they hipsters? Are they the type of people who used to carry around Tic Tacs?

And now I'm worried about vaping in public. And I'm not sure I'm allowed to say why here.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Not sure where to start with this. Please don't tell Steve, but I trust his recommendation for the Blus. It also sounds like you need another, or more than one, supplier for when the first is out of stock.

Cigarettes are designed to give you that instant rush of nic, ecigs don't do that. It miss it, and the whole ritual of smoking, but would miss my health and just being alive more.

There is supposed to be a new sort of combo cigarette/ecig coming out. A new kind of cigarette still the same old thing: Editorial | masslive.com Perhaps what you are really missing is WTAs? Might be something to check out.

ETA

And now I'm worried about vaping in public. And I'm not sure I'm allowed to say why here.

Because you are worried people will think you are vaping "other stuff," is how we generally say it here. I've thought about that too, then decided I don't give a damn what they think. :)

Last edited:

metlgawd

Verified Member
May 23, 2014
Greenville, KY, USA
Because you are worried people will think you are vaping "other stuff," is how we generally say it here. I've thought about that too, then decided I don't give a damn what they think. :)

^This, I concur. I do it wherever unless asked not to, which brings me to a story. Was at a baseball game for my company picnic, and had some older people on the staff tell me "you can't smoke in here, to which I replied "I'm not smoking". Apparently the school board or something didn't allow it. Not wanting to start a confrontation, I was exiled to the ashtrays outside the stadium. The smokers there said it was ridiculous I had to come out there. Funny thing is, they sold beer. So the school board was okay with alcohol consumption, but not vaping. :confused:

bullet08

ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2014
USA
i used 2-3 blu disposables. i knew vaping will work for me. but it was expensive, and was not satisfying. i looked into other setups. they all seem to have some issues. but realized with mech mod, only limitation is me. willing to learn battery safety, learn how to build coil, and to wick.. that's it. found out with clones, price isn't so bad either. found i have local juice vendor.

3 weeks for the setup to come from china. that was 9 days ago. so far, i'm very satisfied. no craving for the real thing. drip and vape. only downside is charging batteries and running out of the juice. but i used to fill my zippo every sunday, and went to drug store to get my pack of marlboro every other days too.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
At the risk of sounding condescending or 'rubbing your nose in it' (neither is my intention) --

Here I am 4 1/2 years tobacco free, completely satisfied with my vape, and totally unconcerned with whatever anyone might think when they see me vaping.

Yup. I blew some money in the first couple of years. That was mostly my own fault for wanting to try everything for myself and for taking forums far too seriously and jumping from bandwagon to bandwagon for a few months.... In retrospect, a lot of that could have been avoided... but then, it did lead me to where my vape supplies cost me less than 15 bucks a month everything included.... And, really, the old adage about getting what you pay for largely holds true. ... but no more than the other old adage about fools and their money soon parting. One must be responsible for oneself and do their due diligence before investing even one hard earned red cent. -- My point is that if you stick with it, you will likely figure out what works best for you and when you do, the cost and frustration decrease by magnitudes.

As to worrying what other people think... I can't help you there. I simply don't care what anyone might think. I mind my own business and expect others to do the same... If they don't mind their own business, or if they make false assumptions about my business, I dismiss them completely and out of hand. It's a personality thing.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
Username, have you been vaping for the 2 1/2 years you've been a member here? If you have, have you tried a cigarette since you quit? You might be in for a rude surprise.

As far as simplicity, I've said it before, it's easier to pack all the dog's food, toys, meds, first aid crap, dishes and other related paraphernalia for a week trip than it is to take my ecig to town for a couple of hours. When they said quitting smoking wasn't easy, they weren't kidding.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
There is supposed to be a new sort of combo cigarette/ecig coming out. A new kind of cigarette still the same old thing: Editorial | masslive.com Perhaps what you are really missing is WTAs? Might be something to check out.

ETA

I'm not sure what WTA or ETA meant, but thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of those. From another article I found about it:

"Revo is the same product as Eclipse, now with an updated look, name and marketing plan,"

http://www.cspnet.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/new-reynolds-american-cigarette-heats-rather-burns

This makes me so angry. I smoked Eclipse for at least 10 years and I paid more for a pack of them than premium brands and then without warning they yanked the rug out from under us by discontinuing them. I even called them up and they swore they hadn't been discontinued. It's just that there was nowhere in my entire state to buy them.

It caused a minor rush on the 7-11s in my town. One place told me some lady had just bought the last carton. I called up another one. They said they had them. "I'll be there in 10 minutes" I said. He actually apologized for having only 2 packs left.

That was what forced me into e-cigs in the first place.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't gotten anything in the mail promoting Revo. I know that I used to be on their mailing list. And unless they purged all their records they should know I was an Eclipse smoker and told them that I was not going back to Camel just because they didn't sell Eclipse anymore.

Maybe this can reunite me with all the folks working at 7-11. I used to know all of them. Now I don't even stop in and say "hi" anymore.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
I'm not sure what WTA or ETA meant, but thanks for the link. I hadn't heard of those. From another article I found about it:

"Revo is the same product as Eclipse, now with an updated look, name and marketing plan,"

http://www.cspnet.com/category-news/tobacco/articles/new-reynolds-american-cigarette-heats-rather-burns

This makes me so angry. I smoked Eclipse for at least 10 years and I paid more for a pack of them than premium brands and then without warning they yanked the rug out from under us by discontinuing them. I even called them up and they swore they hadn't been discontinued. It's just that there was nowhere in my entire state to buy them.

It caused a minor rush on the 7-11s in my town. One place told me some lady had just bought the last carton. I called up another one. They said they had them. "I'll be there in 10 minutes" I said. He actually apologized for having only 2 packs left.

That was what forced me into e-cigs in the first place.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't gotten anything in the mail promoting Revo. I know that I used to be on their mailing list. And unless they purged all their records they should know I was an Eclipse smoker and told them that I was not going back to Camel just because they didn't sell Eclipse anymore.

Maybe this can reunite me with all the folks working at 7-11. I used to know all of them. Now I don't even stop in and say "hi" anymore.

Cool. Sounds like they owe you a couple of free cartons. I think Marlboro is coming out with something similar. Whatever works, right?

Last edited:

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Sorry to hear you've had a run of bad luck and bad info. This place has never steered me wrong, the only reason I ever bought different stuff is because I wanted "more" or it looked cool. I hope you find something that works for you, there is an ocean of choices out now, most of which is fairly consistent. Or if you want true consistency, get a rebuildable and a decent mech, or a provari.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
If you think smoking is sometimes better than sex, then either I wasn't smoking right or...:D

Anyway, nice rant. I disagree with most of it, but I do understand where you are coming from.
You've been a member on this forum long enough to see hundreds or maybe thousands of success stories, so you know vaping is a genuine way to stop smoking for a lot of people.

It saddens me that you've had a crappy experience. So if you want more than just a rant and actually want help either getting your current equipment to work right or suggestions for something that may work better than what you have, maybe we can help with that.

If not, keep ranting, you are quite good at it.

username1970

May 14, 2012
USA
As to worrying what other people think... I can't help you there. I simply don't care what anyone might think. I mind my own business and expect others to do the same... If they don't mind their own business, or if they make false assumptions about my business, I dismiss them completely and out of hand. It's a personality thing.

I don't really care what they think, but I sometimes go to a particular store here in Colorado and they have signs up which say "No vaping of anything" When I was there last month I saw a car pulled over with the local cops all in his face. I don't know what he did, if anything, but I won't vape until it's not obvious that's where I'm coming from.

I can just imagine driving into Nebraska (shudder, I've actually done that before) with Colorado plates and an e-cig and some rural cop trying to figure out what's in it.

Username, have you been vaping for the 2 1/2 years you've been a member here? If you have, have you tried a cigarette since you quit? You might be in for a rude surprise.

About a year ago I went through about 5 packs before I came to at least some of my senses. Yeah, they were awful and expensive and the stench lingered way too long. It was November. I can't be expected to smoke outside in the snow.

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
You don't like the performance of cheap crap, but you're only willing to use cheap crap huh? If you need help, we will. If you want to complain because someone else has not produced a product that perfectly suits your wants, well, keep complaining. I'm gonna get out my big box mod with a really nice rebuildable atomizer that I setup just the way I want and have a spectacularly satisfying vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread