This looks weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
They are difficult to live with (parrots) for most people. They do tend to fall in love with one family member, and may go after other family members. They are also very needy and require a lot of attention. And they are messy and destructive.

For those who aren't single and childless, I recommend cockatiels and budgies. Not because they are "starter birds" (hate that term; they are just as lovable and smart as their larger relatives), but because they are good family birds. Many people don't realize this but male budgies are actually the best talking parrots. Large macaws, and cockatoos might seem big and flashy, but they actually aren't great talkers, and they tend to try to kill your spouse and children :D. Amazons and greys can be great talkers, but they may also try to kill your spouse and children.

I'm long divorced with no plans to remarry so at this point I'm dedicated to helping rescue parrots.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
thanks, pictor!

great pic of your babies! (dogs are people too, ya know :p)
Those two definitely think they are! Sometimes, they're too smart :laugh:

They are difficult to live with (parrots) for most people. They do tend to fall in love with one family member, and may go after other family members. They are also very needy and require a lot of attention. And they are messy and destructive.

For those who aren't single and childless, I recommend cockatiels and budgies. Not because they are "starter birds" (hate that term; they are just as lovable and smart as their larger relatives), but because they are good family birds. Many people don't realize this but male budgies are actually the best talking parrots. Large macaws, and cockatoos might seem big and flashy, but they actually aren't great talkers, and they tend to try to kill your spouse and children :D. Amazons and greys can be great talkers, but they may also try to kill your spouse and children.

I'm long divorced with no plans to remarry so at this point I'm dedicated to helping rescue parrots.
That's interesting ...things I hadn't known. It may have been a long time ago, but it still makes me feel awful - so thanks for the insight!

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
you don't happen to know distorto's addy, do you? ;)

thanks, nanny :) she is named after a doxie my mom had when i was a teen who was stolen off her chain on halloween, 1978. i loved that dog :(

Are you thinking of dropping off a fourth? My wife would absolutely love that! :)

True, we have three little wiener girls. Death below the ankles! :laugh:

That's a cute little lady you have there for sure.

Ruby.jpg Daisy.jpg Lucy.jpg

Ruby Daisy Lucy

Attachments

• 2 girls.jpg
    2 girls.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Spooky28

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
North Carolina
IMG_0342.jpg

Just because we're talking our pet family I have to post "the boys" - Frodo is the guy in my avatar and his little buddy is Sam. Extra points for getting the reference.

LOVE these guys so much.

And as for the topper? Meh, use what you like. I've got an Odin on my Mini SL LP REO and I've grown used to how it looks. I kind of like it now. Short and a little stocky powerhouse.

distortoblotto

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2013
S.F/ Seattle
A great man once told me, "most dogs are better than most people." I admit that I thought that was a little nuts at the time but, after interacting with them and exrerianceing for myself how friendly dogs treat each other, I now think he was right. Lucy was an abused little dog rescued from the gutter and Ruby and Daisy excepted her with open paws as part of the family.

Last edited:

Sloth Tonight

CF Moderator
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2014
NY
There's an excellent product you can get called Zylkene - you'll need the specific cat version:

Zylkene is classified as a food supplement It is made from a milk protein. The active ingredient is a peptide that has the ability of impacting brain receptors. This action has a soothing effect on the animal. It is effective for both cats and dogs. It can be purchased in three different sizes of capsule and the choice is determined based on the size of the pet to be treated
The pills can be opened and the contents sprinkled on food or the entire capsule can be given orally in the original form once a day. Most animals find it palatable and owners find it easy to administer. It is suitable for both a short-term treatment, which could be for a few days, or for longer periods if needed. Usually a course is given from between 2-4 weeks . Then the situation is re-assessed. If in doubt ask your vet.

Zylkene soon helps animals to handle many stressful situations. It may also be a solution for several behavioural problems,
It is advisable to begin administration at least 8 days before expected stressor, when possible. The medicine should be given once every day and can be doubled if the situation is exceedingly stressful.
You almost certainly won't observe an immediate change in your pet however little changes could possibly be seen within a few days.

It's available from pet stores & online, etc. It's perfectly safe, and whether used for temporary situations such as fireworks etc, or for longer term situations, it's quite safe to use. I emailed the manufacturer to check that they were safe to try for seizures, and got a positive reply really quickly.

We have a large dog who started getting seizures each time the groomers came to bath/clip our two. The vet decided she was too young to start taking seizure medication, so I found that and he thought it an excellent idea.
We start giving her one capsule in her food three days before the groomers are due, and continue it for 4 days after. In the two years we've been using it, she's only had one seizure, and that was 8 months ago when the whole household was going through a very stressful period.

Definitely worth a try, and if that fails, the vet may be able to give you something stronger.
We adore our dogs, and I especially love this big girl we have ...love her to bits! :)

morning everyone slotherly love to all of you and cute pets in pics :) pictor THANK YOU - i will look into this big time. i've gotta go clean a cabin :)facepalm: no housekeepers here today) and then will check it out...oh man, if anything like that could help, i'd much prefer that and so would the cat--don't think she wants to leave she loves it here and she loves sloth so sloth doesn't want to take her away (not to mention sloth loves her too :))

have a good day fams!

Megan Kogijiki Ratchford

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2013
Arvada, CO

There was a cockatoo at a pet store near a restaurant my folks and I would go to often and I went in one day and they all looked at my 7 year old self and warned me to stay away from him as he hated everyone that had ever met him. Well he took one look at me, warbled and hopped down from his perch and lowered his head and spread his wings. I pet him all over and visited him every time we were there. The shop folks were amazed, he regurgitated for me, never bit me though he took chunks out of everyone else, we were both in love. I tried to get my folks to buy him but the price tag was too high.

I still think of that sweet parrot and hope he found a good home...I know now it would have been bad to get him as he was so in love with me he would go on the offensive anytime anything would come near us. He would have shredded my parents. :laugh: Actually that might not be a bad thing in retrospect...:evil:

Thank you for rescuing these birdies, I'm glad there is someone willing to help those tossed away because they don't live up to screwed up expectations!

cuse4ever

ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2014
tennessee

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA

I cannot imagine not having a parrot in my life. No need for children, many parrots are in a perpetual state of "terrible two's" complete with temper tantrums when they don't get their way and impatience when they don't get their way fast enough. Of course, every bird I have had has always been spoiled so I have no one to blame but me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread