thorn beetween squonkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

the dog

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2016
I want to get my first squonker but I'm not sure if I want regulated or mechanical for regulated I'm looking at e ijoy capo kit with the 20700 battery included or Athena kit , Hugo squezzer kit by yoko vape or augvape druga . I do my own builds real simple stuff so no danger for mechanical with a good battery. Its going to be my last purchase for a little while and I also decided to get my first RDA so I can start dripping at home I've only played with rba's and rdta's so far and I enjoy them very much but now its time to see with dripping is all about and I'm excited I followed all the steps diy my own juice and enjoy building my coils that's it I always enjoy everybody's opinion on this forum everything I know about vaping I learned it on here so thanks everyone

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
The only one i have from what you listed is the Athena,but it is a very nice mech mod for the price.I have heard good things about the squeezer and the Druga as well.On the Capo,i've heard a lot of mixed opinions on it.It does not boost the power,so it won't go above the actual battery voltage,and it doesn't do temp control.I am still getting ready to order one though,since i'm used to mechs,the non boost really isn't an issue i'm concerned with since obviously mechs don't boost the power either.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I want to get my first squonker but I'm not sure if I want regulated or mechanical for regulated I'm looking at e ijoy capo kit with the 20700 battery included or Athena kit , Hugo squezzer kit by yoko vape or augvape druga . I do my own builds real simple stuff so no danger for mechanical with a good battery. Its going to be my last purchase for a little while and I also decided to get my first RDA so I can start dripping at home I've only played with rba's and rdta's so far and I enjoy them very much but now its time to see with dripping is all about and I'm excited I followed all the steps diy my own juice and enjoy building my coils that's it I always enjoy everybody's opinion on this forum everything I know about vaping I learned it on here so thanks everyone

I'll say this, if you understand Ohms Law or to the point of knowing how low you can build safely, then either is a great option. In having said that, I use a mech mod most of the time, single 18650 tube style. I have to build to my battery first, then to the atty, and hope it works to my tastes. So basically you can be limited with a mech. Then there's knowing when to change a battery, going too low (voltage, running it dead) can damage a battery, to a point where it may not hold max capacity on recharge.

A regulated device can help with shortcomings of a mech, if you see them as shortcomings. A regulated device is nicer in if you build a coil and it's not quite where you want it, little low or high, you just bump up or down power. On a mech you're tearing out and rebuilding.

Now there's also regulated hybrid, which I basically view as a mech with a built in safety to stop building too low. Mech is simple basically never dies, regulated gives more options and can make life simpler. There's really no better or worse to me, it's all in what you want from the mod.

If price is close, I'd go regulated. If mech is a lot cheaper, then maybe try the mech, if you understand what you have to do. I probably didn't help you one bit, lol but just somethings to consider. I hate dropping the cash and being disappointed and wishing I'd went option B.

coolerat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2015
Verona,NY

Squonking loves mechs. The bottle makes regulated pretty large.

Single 18650's are good if you tootle puff or love carrying a stack of extra batteries.

Dual 18650's let you get some sassier build and better battery life.

20700 mods give smaller size and lower builds and reasonable battery life.

I use a Driptech dually for work. Two batteries last all day

At home I use a Pulse. I love this mod. I would recommend this mod to any one.

My Squeezer should be here this week. Looks good but we'll see.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
If I were going to buy a squonker right now it would be this one:
LOST VAPE Therion BF DNA75C Squonker TC Box Mod -$111.66 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

Fully Regulated, VW up to 75W, Temp Control, from what is IMHO the best board in the industry (Evolv DNA 75C). $111 from Gearbest.

I personally don't trust mechs, I know lots of people use them safely with no issues at all but I still would not use one. I have an educational background in electrical engineering (specifically electronic circuits and computer robotics) so I fully understand ohms law and all the theory behind the circuits. The problem is I also understand that sometimes the components (especially the batteries) can have a bad batch and end up not manufactured to spec and that sometimes even when all the math adds up things can still go wrong. I just prefer the added safety of the regulated mods. This is just my personal choice I made for myself, and I agree 100% that if you learn all the math and do things 100% right your chances of having a catastrophic problem are slim. Besides I really love TC vaping. Nothing like getting a consistent vape across multiple toppers using simple round single coil wire.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA

Like you I prefer regulated mods. It seems like there aren’t a whole lot of choices when it comes to mass-market regulated squonk mods these days, especially ones with higher-end boards. I’ve thought about picking up the Therion, but I’ve also heard a number of complaints about it that make me hesitant given that it’s a reasonably pricey mod.

I do have a couple of HCigar VT Inboxes, and I’m pretty happy with them. They’re not quite of the quality you’d expect from LV, but they’re not much more than half the price.

The biggest complaint I have with the Inbox is that the bottles are difficult to fill. The opening is pretty small, and VG tends to flow out rather than in if you’re not careful.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I’ve thought about picking up the Therion, but I’ve also heard a number of complaints about it that make me hesitant given that it’s a reasonably pricey mod.

What complaints have you heard? The DNA 75C board is amazing (I have it in a HCigar VT75D), it may needs an adjustment or two depending on LV's factory settings, but follow DJLsb's guide on the board and it works wondrously. The only complaint I have heard about the Therion is that it can sometimes damage the battery wrapper, but in the 75C version you can remedy that apparently by filing down some part of the battery connector that was needed in the old version but is no longer needed.

The biggest complaint I have with the Inbox is that the bottles are difficult to fill. The opening is pretty small, and VG tends to flow out rather than in if you’re not careful.

I have the same issue filling my small portable 30ml bottles from my big 230ml bottles that I make my juice in. You have to line the stream of liquid up with the middle of the hole and hope you never touch the side of the opening or it forms a bubble, pushing all the juice outside of the bottle and it's a PITA to get rid of. What I do that helps is to squeeze as much air out of the source bottle as possible with it right side up, then slowly release pressure as you turn it upside down, so it's sucking air in instead of pouring juice out as you turn it. This give you time to line the holes up before letting the juice flow.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I have to add that I have a Therion and absolutely love it.

I've had 0 problems with the 75c, wattage, TC, all works well without issue. No leaks, either with stock bottle or using the Pulse BF bottle.

Will tear a wrap until the bottom spring "breaks in" if you're not careful.

go_player

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
USA
What complaints have you heard? The DNA 75C board is amazing (I have it in a HCigar VT75D), it may needs an adjustment or two depending on LV's factory settings, but follow DJLsb's guide on the board and it works wondrously.

Yeah, the 75c does seem worth a certain premium. I don’t think the higher voltage matters much to me, but there are some other things that sound like big improvements over the 75.

The only complaint I have heard about the Therion is that it can sometimes damage the battery wrapper, but in the 75C version you can remedy that apparently by filing down some part of the battery connector that was needed in the old version but is no longer needed.

It has been a little while since I looked into it. Chewing wraps was certainly a big one, along with the battery just being hard to change. I’m a bit hazy on the details, but I remember there being some thing of a sense that it just wasn’t quite as well thought out as you’d expect from a mod at that price-point. I’ll probably eventually get one anyway. It isn’t as if there are a lot of choices for DNA squonk mods at a reasonable price at the moment.

I have the same issue filling my small portable 30ml bottles from my big 230ml bottles that I make my juice in. You have to line the stream of liquid up with the middle of the hole and hope you never touch the side of the opening or it forms a bubble, pushing all the juice outside of the bottle and it's a PITA to get rid of. What I do that helps is to squeeze as much air out of the source bottle as possible with it right side up, then slowly release pressure as you turn it upside down, so it's sucking air in instead of pouring juice out as you turn it. This give you time to line the holes up before letting the juice flow.

It probably doesn’t help that my close-up eyesight is not great, but... the opening is pretty small, significantly smaller than any of the bottles I use for storing juice. I’ve filled them a lot at this point, so after some trial and error I’ve pretty much figured it out, but it’s fiddler than I’d like.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
In THIS THREAD Walee mentioned that the protruding ring could be filed down to rectify that issue.
Mine is fine now. Actually fairly easy to avoid if you're careful at the start. My Pulse does the same thing.

I waited and saved to buy my Therion, absolutely best vape purchase I've made.

tokarev

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
Tennessee, USA
I have Reos, HCigar VT Inbox and Pico Squeeze. While I love my Reos and have had good results with the Inbox...IMO, the best of both worlds = Pico Squeeze.

Price is low, and while not regulated it does have short circuit and (presumably) over discharge protection. It is quite small and the bottle is very easy to change.

If you do DL, you can get it with the Coral RDA in a kit. If you do MTL, I would suggest an O-16 or Speed Revolution RDA.

Reactions: zoiDman

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Regulated chips will all die some day... best to have a few mechs in your arsenal.

Yes they will. If it looks like obtaining the devices may become problematic I will probably just buy several raw DNA boards to have on hand to swap out if one dies.

Mosfets hit harder

Yes Mosfets are specialty transistors used for voltage conversion and amplification. They are found in lots of electronics from computers (voltage conversion on the motherboard) to stereo amplifiers (as part of the sound amplification circuit).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread