Not open for further replies.

mackman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
NorCal
vape magoo.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZSK57...olid=3DTI7DQE40TAB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007R6JVY...olid=3DTI7DQE40TAB&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I finally broke down and bought an rta. Those screws look much larger on youtube videos. Please share your tricks to make building easier for those of us with senior eyes.

Some have slot heads. Others are Phillips or Allen and some are Torx. Atomizer deck screws vary , but most are interchangeable with the screw pitch and diameter. Torx are my favorite.

If you search by atomizer name you may find replacement screws with different or larger heads.

Tell us what you have and we may be able to find a better solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I've worn glasses since 6th grade. However, now that I'm in my late 40's, they can't be tuned for close up and normal viewing. Even with progressives, I have to get them made for viewing distance like a computer monitor, and further out.

Currently, I'm able to just take my glasses off for close work like this. However, I will likely invest in a table top magnifier as others have suggested in the next few years.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I've worn glasses since 6th grade. However, now that I'm in my late 40's, they can't be tuned for close up and normal viewing. Even with progressives, I have to get them made for viewing distance like a computer monitor, and further out.

Currently, I'm able to just take my glasses off for close work like this. However, I will likely invest in a table top magnifier as others have suggested in the next few years.

The eye Dr was setting my bifocals just barely at arms reach. They didn't last long before they were back out of reach and I never could see to work with them with or without my opti-visor. I had to take my glasses off which left me having to use the visor for everything and then flipping up and putting on my glasses to see anything "far". Which is not possible to do while a diamond or tiny screw is flying through the air.
The next time he set up the "book distance" test I said, "No, up here" and held my hands about 8" from my face. He complained, I insisted. We compromised about 13". I did have to get progressives to make them work but they do indeed work 8" to ∞.
You may have to play with lens height to get all the distances in the right spots without moving your glasses.

Last edited:

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I love progressive lens glasses almost like naturally good vision I used to have when a lot younger. They are horrible the first time you use them but once you adjust they are good.

For building though you still need a magnifier. Everything is so tiny. I just use a hand held jeweler's loop. Helps to count coil winds too

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I still have my magnifier loop prescription glasses from when I worked as a first assistant in surgery. They were about $600 back in the 1980's and thankfully paid for by my hospital employer at the time. They only are 2.5X magnification, but that small amount of magnification helped a lot when I built coils.

The focal length isn't ideal for building coils. The focal length was set up for arms length because that was what was ideal for working in surgery. But I dealt with that because I was too cheap to buy a magnifying loop to work in a closer work space.

Orascoptic_HDL3.jpg

Last edited:

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
The eye Dr was setting my bifocals just barely at arms reach. They didn't last long before they were back out of reach and I never could see to work with them with or without my opti-visor. I had to take my glasses off which left me having to use them for everything and then flipping up and putting on my glasses to see anything "far". Which is not possible to do while a diamond or tiny screw is flying through the air.
The next time he set up the "book distance" test I said, "No, up here" and held my hands about 8" from my face. He complained, I insisted. We compromised about 13". I did have to get progressives to make them work but they do indeed work 8" to ∞.
You may have to play with lens height to get all the distances in the right spots without moving your glasses.
I'll have to talk to him about this again next time. I spend most of my time in front of a computer screen. My progressives work great for that and further out.

I'm nearsighted and can't see crap more than a few feet away without my glasses. However, for building, wicking, etc I've been taking them off and it's worked for me.

He keeps telling me I need a pair of separate readers for close up work, but in all honesty, I'm not carrying a second pair of glasses around with me. I don't mind having to flip mine up or remove them, but if I have to keep track of a pair not already on my face to replace them when I remove the others, it will never happen, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I'll have to talk to him about this again next time. I spend most of my time in front of a computer screen. My progressives work great for that and further out.

I'm nearsighted and can't see crap more than a few feet away without my glasses. However, for building, wicking, etc I've been taking them off and it's worked for me.

He keeps telling me I need a pair of separate readers for close up work, but in all honesty, I'm not carrying a second pair of glasses around with me. I don't mind having to flip mine up or remove them, but if I have to keep track of a pair not already on my face to replace them when I remove the others, it will never happen, lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

There was a bit of an argument. He did not want to do it, and he was right, it did not work with lined bifocals, but I have no problem with progressives.

Before neck surgery I had to buy a pair of weeding glasses, single vision distance so I could look down using a wire hoe without trying to look over the near vision. Since surgery looking down is good, it's looking up that doesn't work.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I used to carry around a pair of reading glasses and separate distance glasses. I always had the reading glasses made for 8 to inches as that was much better than the arm's length they try to pass off on you.

I then went with Bifocals for a couple years as I had tried Progressive lenses years back and hated them. I never really liked the bifocals as I never could really get used to them.

A couple years back I retried Progressives and love them. They are much better now than they used to be, the corridors on the lenses are much larger. Used to be very narrow corridors when I first tried them.

I still keep around a pair of readers though. Sometimes they come in handy.

There is also a progressive made for Office use. Lens is good for out to 12 feet and have close up at the bottom that is wider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread