Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
I'm starting to enjoy the phoenix flavor over the fluxo flavor, at least for now. (TH and heat is a different issue)

If you created enough distance between the fluxo coil and your mouth, say on the order of the stock distance between your mouth and the phoenix coil, for one, fully wick-ed, juicy wet hit...

Would they taste the same?

(This has no practical value whatsoever, its a thought experiment, the goal of which is to ascertain, "where's the beef? are the coils and wicks created equally, all other differences supplied by simple distance btw the heating element and your mouth? is the tube material a factor? etc")

Discuss :)

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
OK. Here is the thing for me... Ever since I started checking out bottom coils - and I've tried every single one GV offers - they all had a flavor that is a bit "off" for me. Sometimes its noticeable, like with vanilla juices, for instance, or tobacco juices, sometimes alot less so, like with spicy or other strong-tasting stuff. But it's always there, even if just barely. Even in the Phoenix, though the Phoenix is at the point where I can almost ignore it.

I don't know what it is. Distance from the coil? Does the vapor have a chance to pick up "plastic flavor" from the tube as it travels up? Is it always there, and is just more noticeable at lower temp?

All I know is that top coils don't have it. Mind you, like I said, Phoenix has it the least, and I can live with it - and otherwise the flavor is very strong and clean. Possibly cleaner than in the Stardust even, the Stardust tends to smother the highs a bit, which Phoenix does not. Still, the cool vape just kills me... :(

It would be interesting to conduct an experiment where all the components are made of glass and metal, and see if the distance from the coil alone make a difference to taste specifically...

frequentj

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2010
Louisville, KY
Briar, I totally agree with you. The bottom coils always taste a bit... wet and muted, sort of like if I were vaping a top coil through a wet cloth? I can't really explain it, either, but they do taste different. The Phoenix are the closest I've come to the top coil flavor, and they are convenient enough that I can live with it, but today I broke out my visions extreme giant and I was like, "Ahhhhhhh!" It just tasted so darn good.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
The cooler vape is due to the distance between the coil and the mouth piece and the juice acts as a cooling agent which is nothing suprising. With the Phx and all the bottom coils I have tried they typically can't be run at higher voltages/watts or that nasty burning taste comes. I have run a phx at almost 5V and of course the taste was bad but the vapor was a lot warmer. I would guess the wicking is the same material but the coils are different. The Phx coils are likely lower resistence wire but with more wraps that are spaced very close together where the Fluxo is less wraps spaced a greater distance apart. When the adjustable Phx becomes available it maybe possible to run the Phx at higher V/Watts and it will likely warm up the vapor but without that burning taste.

A good experiment would be to have a very short but fat Phx made so that the space between the mouth piece end is as close to the coil as possible.

Briar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2009
A fool on the hill in Deposit, NY
That would be interesting - shouldn't be hard to do, right? With the Phoenix all the "active" stuff is at the bottom. Well, there is the metal tube... Anyone wants to do it? I would, but I got nothing to cut that metal tube with...

You're right, I suppose another way to run the thought experiment is exactly as you say, just reverse it:

Cut the phoenix tube/post down and assemble as usual, vape.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Well today I certainly didn't enjoy the phoenix over the fluxo flavor wise

same juice, about the same wattage, alternating all day, the fluxos flavor beat the living crap out of the phoenix

and then the phoenix decided to bleed out all over my 510 while I was driving home lol

::sigh::: Don't know what's more elusive, my own taste buds, or getting the phoenix to be consistent

MJBinNM

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2011
New Mexico
Interesting thread...I have to agree with frequentj's comment...

Briar, I totally agree with you. The bottom coils always taste a bit... wet and muted, sort of like if I were vaping a top coil through a wet cloth?...

I've used the phoenix stock and in a tank and the best description for the taste that I come up with is that it tastes like a flooded fluxo...like it needs to be blown out. I also have a 3ml phoenix, and it's the same. I had the one in my tank go into siphon mode (after 2 or 3 fills with no issues) which was very difficult to stop.

Also, like Briar, I just can't get used to the cool vape, to me it just adds to the "flooded fluxo" experience. I may try the top coil phoenix, but for now I think I'll stick with the fluxos.

Cyrus Vap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
Bay Area, California
Interesting, the way I taste it, the phoenix tastes more dry, a tad muted, but more balanced, the sweet notes come out more

The fluxo tastes more wet, flavors really pop, and the stronger/more harsh notes come out more

Maybe we're saying the same thing, because when a fluxo is flooding, you get a 'drier' hit because the coil can't get hot enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread