Status
Not open for further replies.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
I got 2 of these from nhaler, so it's the one with the tapered top. They included 2 pre-made wicks, both of which the wires had somehow come off the string, no biggie. I have supplies to make my own wicks, but haven't done so yet. Still going with the pre-installed wick and going at 6 volts on my silver bullet.

Cool thing is, when my expensive stainless steel drip tips didn't fit, I just tucked them away and just vape right on the atomizer. It doesn't get hot like traditional 510 atomizers so no burning lips :)

I bought a 200 pack of stainless steel pipe screens (small little circle-shaped screens) and hopefully they work well for making wicks. They're very stiff, so I hope they can roll into a wick!

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
Get a couple of small pieces of sandpaper and roll it up small enough to fit the drip tip opening. Stick it in the opening and twist a few times until the tip fits. (yeah yeah, I know that's 'what she said') You must have some sandpaper laying around. Yes?

I got 2 of these from nhaler, so it's the one with the tapered top. They included 2 pre-made wicks, both of which the wires had somehow come off the string, no biggie. I have supplies to make my own wicks, but haven't done so yet. Still going with the pre-installed wick and going at 6 volts on my silver bullet.

Cool thing is, when my expensive stainless steel drip tips didn't fit, I just tucked them away and just vape right on the atomizer. It doesn't get hot like traditional 510 atomizers so no burning lips :)

I bought a 200 pack of stainless steel pipe screens (small little circle-shaped screens) and hopefully they work well for making wicks. They're very stiff, so I hope they can roll into a wick!

Optimo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Virginia

TBinAZ had the prefect fix for your driptip issue....works good. If the pipe screens are 400x400 or 325x325 holes per square inch they might work. They might be too small though. What you want is a sheet of 400 or 325 SS wire mesh. Can get a 6x6 sheet which should last pretty much forever for about 5 bucks on ebay with free shipping.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
Thanks for the advice! I'll give the sandpaper a workout in the hole (that's what I said, haha!). I will definitely search for the sheets of mesh on ebay for that price. I put on some rubber gloves to roll a pipe screen into a wick yesterday (cut it in half first) and it was quite a workout, but got a working atomizer! It took me the longest time to thread the wires into the holes and screw them down, but nothing like using your own homemade atty.

I used some unbleached cheesecloth as wicking material, but it basically shreds apart when I cut it down to size, so I'll go shopping for some unbleached cotton fabric material this weekend at the local craft store.

One question, is it possible to burn the mesh up before rolling? I was thinking of torching it, then putting the wick inside and rolling it up. My guess is that rolling a burnt screen might chip off some of the buildup and cause a short, but it would really simplify the whole routine. I might have a go at it on my next session :)

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
So this is my first foray in to the world of rebuildables. I was on a single cell unmodulated battery with LR cartos for about a year and a half. I bought a provari and phoenix at the same time and it is a HUGE leap forward.

So here is a warning... be careful lol. I went from a used ford focus to a Ferrari and I was vaping myself silly. I have now reduced my nice strength and getting settled in but for a while there it was kicking my rear.

Ourei

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Hawaii! Yay haha
Since this Phoenix atomizer has a well that holds liquid, I can't figure out how to use just a stainless steel mesh wick with a wire coil. I've tried cheesecloth as a wick, it's ok, and just came home with some silica/fiberglass braided cord to try making a wick. I was thinking, is there a material that I can stuff into the bottom of the Phoenix, to get rid of the well, and then I can just make hollow SS wick, and just direct drip between vapes?

I've always used standard 510 atomizers before this, so I'm OK with making string wicks. Just wondering if there's a way to make an all-steel wick that works in the Phoenix :)

Also, I have a multimeter, but I haven't really put it to much use. Since I'm vaping at 6 volts, I sort of wrap the wire about 6 times around the wick, and it always seems to work. Since I can't blow out the Phoenix and dry-burn it to get rid of the carbon build-up, I figure my routine will be to rebuild it every weekend. It's still WAY cheaper than buying regular 510 atomizers!

Last edited:

TBinAZ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2012
Mesa
I've tried numerous methods to get a good working mesh wick going on these. It's very fiddly to say the least, but if you get a good working setup, it's very nice.

hildicat came up with a great method of 'staging' the coil before inserting whatever wick material you want to use. I was able to slide a loosely rolled, well prepped, mesh tube into it, and it worked quite well. Take a look at this.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...vertical-cotton-wick-setup-3.html#post7004260

The disclaimer is that you really can't get past the fact that there will be a good amount of wire between the first and last coils, and the posts. This setup is very prone to failure. I have some NR wire now, and am going to play around with eliminating the 'legs' of resistance wire. We'll see how it goes.

Since this Phoenix atomizer has a well that holds liquid, I can't figure out how to use just a stainless steel mesh wick with a wire coil. I've tried cheesecloth as a wick, it's ok, and just came home with some silica/fiberglass braided cord to try making a wick. I was thinking, is there a material that I can stuff into the bottom of the Phoenix, to get rid of the well, and then I can just make hollow SS wick, and just direct drip between vapes?

I've always used standard 510 atomizers before this, so I'm OK with making string wicks. Just wondering if there's a way to make an all-steel wick that works in the Phoenix :)

Also, I have a multimeter, but I haven't really put it to much use. Since I'm vaping at 6 volts, I sort of wrap the wire about 6 times around the wick, and it always seems to work. Since I can't blow out the Phoenix and dry-burn it to get rid of the carbon build-up, I figure my routine will be to rebuild it every weekend. It's still WAY cheaper than buying regular 510 atomizers!

DantesInferno

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2012
Central Illinois

I just rolled the ss mesh and oxidized it. Wrapped a fairly snug coil then put it in kinda angled so one end was on the bottom. Worked fine for me.

Optimo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2011
Virginia
For drip tips on these Phoenix...I have yet to find an acrylic tip at HHV that don't fit. Even their mings fit great. Not the stainless steel ones though. They're still too big.

I'm using the stainless steel ones right now...all I had to do was file out the drip tip hole a little and problem solved. Also taking your o-ring off the drip tip or putting a smaller one on the drip tip works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread