• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Thoughts on Daily Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 24 ; .....I try not to worry or wonder about what I do not yet know; Instead, I trust that if I continue to work the Steps, practice the A.A. principles in my life, and share my story, I will be guided lovinly toward a deep and mature spirituality in which more will be revealed to me.

I was told I would 'hear my own story'. That's my Hope in a nutshell, and my daily living thanks to A.A.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 25 ; Many times in my alcoholic state,I drank to establish a bond between myself and others,but I succeeded only in establishing the bindage of alcoholic loneliness. Through the A.A. way of life, I have received the gift of bonding- with those who were there before me, with those who are there now , and with those yet to come. For this gracious gift from God, I am forever grateful.

"Meeting Makers make it !"- because the 'Fellowship' is real.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 26: Through prayer and meditation, I open channels, then I establish and improve my conscious contact with God. Through action I then receive the power I need to maintain my sobriety each day. By maintaining my spiritual condition, by giving away what has been so freely given to me, I am granted a daily reprieve.

Faith without works is dead. Let me find that which I must do to serve My Lord, and others, so I might be given another day of blessed sobriety.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 28 ; ....In each case someone in the program told me of a similar problem, and I was able to share what happened to me. When my story was told, both of us got up with lighter hearts.

There seems to be something about one drunk sharing with another drunk.....

Note- I will be gone for the next two days, this ol' trucker still has a mortgage to pay. Anyone who would like to contribute to this thread please feel free to do so. And, if you get the opprotunity to pick up your next drink, don't do it.

Last edited:

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 29 ; ...I want my God to use me, humbly, as one of His tools in this program. Sacrifice is the art of giving of myself, allowing humility to replace my ego. ...... I place the principles of spirituality ahead of judging, fault-finding and criticism.

The definition of the word ego: Easing God Out. Let His Will, not mine, Be Done.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Aug 30 ; I am grateful that the Third Tradition only requires of me a desire to stop drinking. I had been breaking promises for years. In the Fellowship I didn't have to make promises, I didn't have to concentrate. It only required my attnding one meeting, in a foogy condition, to know I was home.

The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sept 1 : Sobriety fills the painful "hole in the soul" that my alcoholism created. Often I feel so physically well that I believe my work is done. However, joy is not just the absence of pain, it is the gift of continued spirirtual awakening. Joy comes from ongoing and active study, as well as application of the principles of recovery in my everyday life, and from sharing that experience with others.

It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do, for alchohol is a subtle foe. pg85

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sept 2 ; I know the Promises are being fulfilled in my life, but I want to maintain and develop them by the daily application of Step Ten. I have learned through this step that if I am disturbed, there is something wrong with me. The other person may be wrong too, but I can only deal with my feelings. When I am hurt or upset, I have to continually look for the cause in me, and then I have to admit and correct my mistakes.

My first sponsor told me "A real man will admit when he's wrong." This is my humble begining to Step Ten.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sept 5 : When I survey my drinking days, I recall many people whom my life touched casually, but whose days I troubled through anger and sarcasm. These people are untraceable, and direct amends to them are not possible. The only amends I can make to those untraceable individuals, the only "changes for the better" I can offer, are indirect amends made to other people, whose paths briefly cross mine. Courtesy and Kindness, regularly practiced, help me to live in emotional balance, at peace with myself.

"Lord, please help me to treat others today as I would want to be treated tomorrow"

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sept 7 ; ... Several months later I made amends to my Dad again. This time I wrote a letter in which I did not blame him nor mention his faults. It worked, and at last I understood! My side of the street is all that I'm responsible for and-thanks to God and A.A.- it's clean for today.

We are there to sweep off our side of the street....

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Sept 9 ; Old habits and behaviors die hard. Working Step Nine enables me to close the door on the drunk I was, and to open new avenues for myself as a sober alcoholic. Making direct amends is crucial for me. As I repair relationships and behavior of the past, I am better able to live a sober life !

Note; One of my co-workers is sick and I've been asked to cover his Tennessee run, so I wil not be able to make any postings tomorrow. Feel free to contribute to this thread if you like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread