thoughts on the Smoant Charon?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yes, it's different from VW vaping. It requires a TC capable coil (most folks are using stainless steel wire, although titanium, nickel and in some cases a ceramic coil can be used.)

It allows you to set a start up wattage to heat up the coil, most folks use a start up wattage similar to their normal wattage. You select the type of material you are using and a "ceiling" temperature. Around 420 seems to be the consensus (F, not C) as far as safety, but you can adjust your ceiling temperature to suit your vaping style. The chip then monitors the coil temp and will throttle back on power once the ceiling temp is reached. It's a smoother vape, some feel, and you'll avoid any dry hits, even vaping the tank almost to empty.

Having a DNA mod is nice for TC, but there are several non DNA chips that seem to do a decent job. At the moment, DNA mods are becoming more precise and also offering features such as "replay" which "replicates" a perfect hit and tries to repeat it (fairly successfully from early reports) in either wattage or temperature mode. Those are currently not cheap, and it's perfectly fine to learn TC on a non DNA mod, although a DNA mod gives the best results, ultimately. Etc.

Best of luck,

Anna

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Having a DNA mod is nice for TC, but there are several non DNA chips that seem to do a decent job. At the moment, DNA mods are becoming more precise and also offering features such as "replay" which "replicates" a perfect hit and tries to repeat it (fairly successfully from early reports) in either wattage or temperature mode. Those are currently not cheap, and it's perfectly fine to learn TC on a non DNA mod, although a DNA mod gives the best results, ultimately. Etc.

I've never had a DNA chip to say it's that much better but I haven't had a bad enough time with Joytech, Kanger, Wismec, P4U, Smoant or Innokin to see how it could possibly be that much better.

Smok with their fraudulent TC on the mod I have and Sigelei's faulty TC on the mod I have, yes, anything would be better than those.

Arch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2014
United States
casaa.org
The Smoant Charon is highly praised for good reason. It's a work horse, and it can take a beating because it's built well. It's among the top tier mid-range priced mods along with the Voopoo Drag.

If you want something that will last you, and perform consistently from the day you purchase it until the day you replace it, then purchase a mod with a DNA chip in it. Evolv has been in the business for almost a decade and provide the most efficient and safe chip on the market.

madstabber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2013
Concoction Creating Cave
Smoant makes really solid mods for great prices. The Charon is a great mod and does tc and wattage extremely well. The chipset is rock solid and although I’ve always heard dna and yihi are better I don’t see how. Smoant’s chipset leaves nothing to be desired. The only way that those expensive chipset mods may do better is battery life. Watch a few reviews of Smoant mods on YouTube. Especially the ones where they take them apart and you will see how well they are built. The Cylon and Ranker are the best chipset Smoant puts in a mod currently but you can’t go wrong with the Charon.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread