Wintergreen LA: safe to vape?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
I've made a 10% single flavor liquid using LorAnn's Wintergreen, VG and 10% water yesterday and today I noticed the mix looks like a lava lamp. I've purchased it from Wizard Labs and the bottle says: Contents: Methyl Salicylate.
So, I did some searching here and came across this topic: Thoughts on Wintergreen Essential Oil
Pretty scary stuff since it says in that topic: Wintergreen Oil contains methyl salicylate at near 98-99%, which can be toxic.
Going by the fact that Wizard Labs has all the ingredients printed on the label I may conclude I'm holding a bottle containing nothing but this stuff?

Last edited:

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
I've made a 10% single flavor liquid using LorAnn's Wintergreen, VG and 10% water yesterday and today I noticed the mix looks like a lava lamp. I've purchased it from Wizard Labs and the bottle says: Contents: Methyl Salycilate.
So, I did some searching here and came across this topic: Thoughts on Wintergreen Essential Oil
Pretty scary stuff since it says in that topic: Wintergreen Oil contains methyl salicylate at near 98-99%, which can be toxic.
Going by the fact that Wizard Labs has all the ingredients printed on the label I may conclude I'm holding a bottle containing nothing but this stuff?

Not an expert on LorAnn's flavors, but there's a sticky thread in this forum about LorAnn flavors/safety. I recommend you poke around in that thread but here's the copy of Wintergreen:

Wintergreen Oil, Artificial
Contains: Methyl Sal.
Slightly soluble in water.

Wintergreen Oil, Natural
Contains: Natural Wintergreen Oil.
Insoluble in water

Red is bad according the the OP in that thread.. I've always heard to stay away from vaping oil based flavors.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Yeah I just came across that topic myself.
I've sent a customer support message to Wizard Labs since they're saying:
Super concentrated water-soluble flavorings perfect for use with our solutions and base fluids.
This implies that all flavors they're selling are suitable for vaping.
Anyway, it's not the oil based part that's worrying me most, it's the fact that Methyl Salicylate is considered toxic!

Turbo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2009
Southeast/USA
Yeah I just came across that topic myself.
I've sent a customer support message to Wizard Labs since they're saying:
Super concentrated water-soluble flavorings perfect for use with our solutions and base fluids.
This implies that all flavors they're selling are suitable for vaping.
Anyway, it's not the oil based part that's worrying me most, it's the fact that Methyl Salicylate is considered toxic!

Yeah, I'm w/ you, that's two reasons not to vape it...lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread