Throat getting sore

Status
Not open for further replies.

highfidelity

Jul 12, 2018
Hey guys!
New vaper for about 1.5 months, and have been running into repeat problems w/ sore throat that is just killing the hobby for me. I talked with my experienced vape friend who recommended more hydration, and have been drinking probably 16 cups/day...have to pee every 20 min!

Have been using a fireluke mesh tank at about 30W-38W, and vape for about 2-3 hours at a time. All my juice is a max of 3mg, 30% PG, usually 70/30. I always wait till cotton is completely saturated. Dunno how some people vape without any of these issues, wish it was that way for me! I'm not sure if I am getting unvaporized e-liquid burning back of my throat (I always thought unlikely with fireluke mesh) or perhaps PG sensitive or maybe just throat getting dehydrated still. I am definitely not sick, it has been this way for 6 weeks. Always goes away after 48 breaks from vaping then comes right back. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Freebase. I use premium brands like Naked, Kilo, etc
Hi and welcome,
Are you still smoking and vaping?
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
How old is the coil head? Have you tried a new coil?
If you have the option of using unflavoured juice, I would suggest you give it a try.
Where are you located? Do you have a vape shop local to you?

Cheers
I

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I was a 3 ppd smoker when I got here and I wound up using nic salts because my throat was CRAZY sore to begin with and ALSO my respiratory system was torn up generally. I will say, honestly, I just vaped through it and it went away after a few weeks. I am still not the biggest fan of throat hit but I can tolerate Freebase now, and I couldn't to start with.

I found out sort of early on/in I am PG sensitive (I know I still am when I vape the husband's vapes) although I'm not sure it alone was causing my sore throat, but both ideas may well be worth looking at.

Mine passed fairly quickly to be honest, but it got worse (way worse, I couldn't event talk) before it got better. Took about a month. I am glad I kept vaping, honestly.

Hydration is never a bad thing, and I moved to MTL devices (mainly because I prefer them, and I still had a sore throat for a while (and an addiction to ricolas) but I'm glad I kept at it, I would have missed out on so much.

You may want to at least TRY a MTL high nic (maybe nic salts honestly) setup to see if it helps you. Sub0hming while new from a 3 ppd habit was not PLEASANT for me. But whatever it takes, don't give up.

Remedies also: salt water gargling, as much as you can stand
Chamomile tea with lemon and honey, the lemon cleans up any mucus, the honey soothes and coats your throat, and the chamomile tea helps with the "I want to bite people" effect that quitting (in me) caused, etc. But it's a good beverage to try, my family swears by it when sick.

Best of luck you can do this, don't give up!

Anna

highfidelity

Jul 12, 2018
Hi and welcome,
Are you still smoking and vaping?
How long did you smoke and how many per day?
How old is the coil head? Have you tried a new coil?
If you have the option of using unflavoured juice, I would suggest you give it a try.
Where are you located? Do you have a vape shop local to you?

Cheers
I

I wasn’t an analog smoker before this. Currently taking a short 2-3 day break from vaping. Coil is about 2 weeks old with 2-3 hrs/day. The cotton looks overall white with a few small brown areas in maybe 20%. Located in Florida, where vape shops are plentiful.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Most 2 week old coils are going to be horrible unless you vape very clean homemade juice. Or barely vape.
Also 'premium' liquids are full of (excessive) flavor, colour and added enhancers. I'm that respect, premium is not really the right word. Expensive and coil-destroying is more the reality. I sometimes buy the expensive juices on special price but wouldn't vape them on anything other than a rebuildable atomizer. Some liquids will gunk a coil in less than 48 hours.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
I wasn’t an analog smoker before this. Currently taking a short 2-3 day break from vaping. Coil is about 2 weeks old with 2-3 hrs/day. The cotton looks overall white with a few small brown areas in maybe 20%. Located in Florida, where vape shops are plentiful.

Could be a sensitivity to nicotine, probably a good idea to use 0 nic.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Thanks so much. You gave me some great ideas. Am definitelt going to try mtl. Yea i hate to give up at this point, I seemed so close to having a good thing going. Thanks =]
Welcome and glad you joined.
I had the same problem. Here's what works for me:
DIY at max VG on RDA's. with no nic, high ohms 2.0-3.0 ohms MTL.
I could go all VG but not necessary.
You could try no nic to see if it is a nic problem, which I suspect. Solution chew nic gum or use patch and vape no (to little) nic or try different nics.
With higher ohms and low wattage equals cooler vape which is more forgiving on my throat.
re:
The Vaper`s Guide to PG and VG Allergies (and what to do about them)
PG Sensitivity
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer. The Ultimate Guide
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
http://www.geekayvapes.com/squonking-101/

highfidelity

Jul 12, 2018
Welcome and glad you joined.
I had the same problem. Here's what works for me:
DIY at max VG on RDA's. with no nic, high ohms 2.0-3.0 ohms MTL.
I could go all VG but not necessary.
You could try no nic to see if it is a nic problem, which I suspect. Solution chew nic gum or use patch and vape no (to little) nic or try different nics.
With higher ohms and low wattage equals cooler vape which is more forgiving on my throat.
re:
The Vaper`s Guide to PG and VG Allergies (and what to do about them)
PG Sensitivity
Drip Vaping: Your Guide to Dripping e-Juice | Vape-Resource.com
http://spinfuel.com/art-drip-guide-vaping/
(7) Information Resources for Your First RBA | E-Cigarette Forum
Atomizer vs. Cartomizer vs. Clearomizer. The Ultimate Guide
Rebuildable Tanks Explained: RBAs vs RDAs vs RTAs vs RDTAs
Wrapping Building Coils 101 For Beginners
http://www.geekayvapes.com/squonking-101/

Incredibly helpful, am going to read each and everyone of these. Seems like my next step is picking out a high ohm MTL then. Hopefully if I remember I will update in a few months to say whether it solved the issue. Thanks.

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Incredibly helpful, am going to read each and everyone of these. Seems like my next step is picking out a high ohm MTL then. Hopefully if I remember I will update in a few months to say whether it solved the issue. Thanks.
Just make sure to change one variable at a time, this way you will know which thing is causing your problem. Troubleshooting 101...

• Useful

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
In case your interested:
My Settings:zero nic,single coil (~6.4-.8w/32ga K A1;4-5 turns;.110 ID;Rayon and as much PG as you can stand)
Magma
Origen V1 & V3 finned (3 post vert. but use single horizontal.)
Snapdragon
All above have one attribute the others lack.

• Useful
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread