Throat hit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Hi all: I've been vaping for 2 1/2 days now and have some questions about the throat hit.

The cartridges that came with my kits that are marked high give me a good throat hit, have no idea the ml.

When I refresh the cart with Instead's 24ml I may get one or two satisfactory throat hits then almost no throat hit after that.

I've tried putting up to 5 drops (started with 3) in the fiber in the cart, but that didn't seem to be enough.

Why am I not getting a good throat hit from this? Is it the liquid, is it something else? I really want that throat hit, it means so much to me, LOL.

Any suggestions?

Mag Burns

Mar 20, 2009
Spain
I know exacly what you mean :p

I have been vaping for 5 weeks now and have come to my last drops of e juice high 18mg. I have had to go and buy a pack of fags cos it is givin me zilch.

I wonder if the nic evaporates after opening like the flavor does :confused: although with you vaping for such a short time I would not think that would be your problem.

I am waitin for a bottle of 36mg. Maybe that will give me enough of a hit to keep me off the fags. Sorry, I am disappointed in these e juices and there is nought on the bottles to say what mg is in there, in my experience. Are they trying to fob me off with a lower mg than what I have ordered? I don't include all here but I am sure this goes on.

Sorry to steal your thunder SharonLM but I do know how you feel (as I smoke my 2nd analog).

But keep it up. Once you find an e juice that satisfies you, you will know :)

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
Hi all: I've been vaping for 2 1/2 days now and have some questions about the throat hit.

The cartridges that came with my kits that are marked high give me a good throat hit, have no idea the ml.

When I refresh the cart with Instead's 24ml I may get one or two satisfactory throat hits then almost no throat hit after that.

I've tried putting up to 5 drops (started with 3) in the fiber in the cart, but that didn't seem to be enough.

Why am I not getting a good throat hit from this? Is it the liquid, is it something else? I really want that throat hit, it means so much to me,
LOL.

Any suggestions?

Are you getting lots of vapor but no throat hit? Or little to no vapor and no throat hit?

This may sound dumb but did you try switching out to a fully charged battery?

I was wondering last night why my vapor production was dying. I thought I'd flooded the atomizer...cleaned those out and swapped them around, putzed with the fibers in the cartridge, swapped out cartridges, topped off, etc.

My battery light wasn't flashing so it didn't even occur to me that although it wasn't dead, it might be waning. Swapped out the battery and it made a HUGE difference...

I know the nic level has to do with the throat hit but I think the flavor does also...is it maybe not a strong enough flavor? (It would probably be really strong starting off then taper off....)

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I've tried charged batteries, everything, but I just watched spikey's video and it helped me a lot.

I really think my problem is contained in the learning curve. I just have to become familiar with battery operation, filling carts, cleaning the atomizer and my way of drawing on the e-cig.

Once I develop the familiarity and the correct habits, I think all will work fine, until an atomizer becomes faulty, a battery no longer works then I'll have to learn that that is happening (part of the learning curve still) and go from there.

Spikey's video really did help in so many ways, to me it's a must watch for newbies!

Day three or me, after smoking 2 packs a day of the analogs, I haven't picked up one yet.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If you look at the poll of members favorite devices, there is a reason that the devices with the manual switch and bigger batteries are the most popular by far. Although nic strength contributes to "throat hit" for most users, getting consistent throat hit comes from a manual switch, allowing you to heat up the atomizer as much as you want with no cut off and bigger batteries that last for 7-8 hours giving better performance. It's no coincidence that puresmoker is coming out with a big battery, manual switch PV. After using the 901 and 801 and getting throat hit inconsistently as you all described, I switched to the Screwdriver and the difference was amazing. No more wondering if I was doing something wrong, or the battery was low, or the atomizer was dead, or the juice was the problem, or having to hold the vapor for 2.3 seconds in the mouth and spin around three times, etc. If you haven't already, check out these links:

Poll of favorite PV's:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-discussion/14342-whats-your-favorite-pv.html

Puresmoker's new Prodigy:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/15068-usa-manufactured-ecig-cash-friends.html

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
If you look at the poll of members favorite devices, there is a reason that the devices with the manual switch and bigger batteries are the most popular by far. Although nic strength contributes to "throat hit" for most users, getting consistent throat hit comes from a manual switch, allowing you to heat up the atomizer as much as you want with no cut off and bigger batteries that last for 7-8 hours giving better performance. It's no coincidence that puresmoker is coming out with a big battery, manual switch PV. After using the 901 and 801 and getting throat hit inconsistently as you all described, I switched to the Screwdriver and the difference was amazing. No more wondering if I was doing something wrong, or the battery was low, or the atomizer was dead, or the juice was the problem, or having to hold the vapor for 2.3 seconds in the mouth and spin around three times, etc.

Thanks wv! Your post makes total sense. Basically Spikey was explaining the same thing. Great links too. Going to go check Trog's screwdriver out now! Hope he still has some and can send some. Forgive me for a stupid question, does "Trog" go by that name under his postings?

runninlater

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
USA ~ Colorado
I've only been vapin' for about 6-7 weeks now. (Using a 901.)

I experienced the same thing. Always wondering why everyone was talking about throat hit and I rarely experienced a throat hit.

I've noticed two things. 36mg juice will hit you pretty good at first. But if you vape continuously you will loose the throat hit with any liquid.
I think your throat gets coated and you have to stop vapin' for awhile.
Fresh battery on the 901 is an absolute must for throat hit.

I quit smoking 18 days ago and I've noticed the throat hit and taste of liquid has improved a lot. At first I couldn't hardly tell cherry from tobacco from coconut!!! LOL.

MagBurns - hang in there. The 36mg might help a lot. I know it did for me.

teardrop88

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2009
USA
If you look at the poll of members favorite devices, there is a reason that the devices with the manual switch and bigger batteries are the most popular by far. Although nic strength contributes to "throat hit" for most users, getting consistent throat hit comes from a manual switch, allowing you to heat up the atomizer as much as you want with no cut off and bigger batteries that last for 7-8 hours giving better performance. It's no coincidence that puresmoker is coming out with a big battery, manual switch PV. After using the 901 and 801 and getting throat hit inconsistently as you all described, I switched to the Screwdriver and the difference was amazing. No more wondering if I was doing something wrong, or the battery was low, or the atomizer was dead, or the juice was the problem, or having to hold the vapor for 2.3 seconds in the mouth and spin around three times, etc. If you haven't already, check out these links:

Poll of favorite PV's:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/general-discussion/14342-whats-your-favorite-pv.html

Puresmoker's new Prodigy:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/puresmoker/15068-usa-manufactured-ecig-cash-friends.html

Right on. My M401 is spotty and is all due to a combination of the atomizer (it needs cleaning about every 4-5 days) and the battery. I have several batteries and some just don't pump out enough voltage for a great throat hit. I have no experience with the 901, but I would imagine it's due to same thing, or something similar.

stephenrowley

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
  • Deleted by ZambucaLu
  • Reason: supplier post in newb forum

lorraineg57

ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Outside Pgh, PA
I think you will find that throat hit has little to do with the temperature of the heating coil, throat hit aka "Impact" is caused by the amount of free nicotine hitting the back of the throat, and also the alkalinity of the nicotine solution been used, the higher the ph level of the liquid the more free nicotine is available per drag thus more throat hit, so if you have two solutions with the same nicotine density and one solution has a higher ph level, that will be the one that will give you the best throat hit.

Anyone have any PH+? KIDDING PEOPLE....do NOT use swimming pool chemicals in your brew....that would be REALLY bad for the cause....8-o

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
If you read around the forum you will find 100 people saying throat hit is dependent on nicotine level, you will find another 100 that say it is based on the heat of the atomizer and yet another 100 that will tell you it is because the battery is underpowered and you need a larger battery and yet another 100 people will tell you it is the ingredients of the juice itself.

Who is right? None of them seem to have proven or disproved anything except with anecdotal evidence.

You need to figure out what is best for YOU and unfortunately the only way to do that is through experimentation.

I happen to get very good throat hit from automatic battery units and I have no complaints. However I do not really use any of my stuff in its stock standard form. I take measures to increase the airflow AFTER the atomizer and it makes a difference to me.

I will say one thing that will help assist you in finding help is to identify what model you have. Tips for one model may not work on other models.

DW

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Thanks, I think you're right with regard to the good throat hit being something each person needs to find (the best way) for themselves.

Now, LOL, I've got an e-cig that I think has a bad atomizer, already!! I've only used it or 2 1/2 days and I've switched it out with another one (I switch between two) during those two days.'

The cart is fine, the battery is fine, and I get NO vapor. This part of using e-cigs is no fun. I know this is going to happen, but with the FDA restrictions I tend to get paranoid when an atomizer fails already. The atomizer is clean, so it's not that.

Ah well, the joys of learning.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I will and have been the first to say that throat hit is affected by more than one part of the vaping experience. But one thing is for sure backed up by all the users of manual switch PV's, "more consistent" throat hit, without having to do an "air flow" modification or learn a special way to hold the vapor in your mouth is much more likely with a manual switch PV. The larger batteries allows you to use the manual switch PV longer and efficiently. Those who imply otherwise, have never used a manual switched, bigger battery device.

Some should take their own advice and "experiment" with a manual switched big battery device before they discount why so many forum members prefer them.

Last edited:

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I will and have been the first to say that throat hit is affected by more than one part of the vaping experience. But one thing is for sure backed up by all the users of manual switch PV's, "more consistent" throat hit, without having to do an "air flow" modification or learn a special way to hold the vapor in your mouth is much more likely with a manual switch PV. The larger batteries allows you to use the manual switch PV longer and efficiently. Those who imply otherwise, have never used a manual switched, bigger battery device.

Some should take their own advice and "experiment" with a manual switched big battery device before they discount why so many forum members prefer them.

I do want a manual switch, but right now, with all the items I've purchased, the SD (which I would love to have) is $148 US dollars and almost $12 shipping (which isn't bad at all). But then if I buy the extra atomizers and batteries which is definitely advisable, I'll be well over $200. Which isn't bad at all, it's just that I've spent well over $700 this week just trying to stay ahead of what the FDA might be doing to us.

I'm just hoping that the FDA deal will clear up soon.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I do want a manual switch, but right now, with all the items I've purchased, the SD (which I would love to have) is $148 US dollars and almost $12 shipping (which isn't bad at all). But then if I buy the extra atomizers and batteries which is definitely advisable, I'll be well over $200. Which isn't bad at all, it's just that I've spent well over $700 this week just trying to stay ahead of what the FDA might be doing to us.

I'm just hoping that the FDA deal will clear up soon.

I can definitely understand what you are saying about the cost and the FDA issue. One thing to factor in on the Screwdriver or the Prodigy, is the batteries only cost about $3 instead of $14 to $21 for manual switched batteries. Over time you will save money due to this big difference. If you haven't seen the link, here is what Steve at puresmoker is planning:

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York

I am not trying to discount them. I am simply pointing out that one can get a throat hit without resorting to a manual device.

You keep mistaking that. I am not putting down manual units. I am promoting automatic ones. There is a difference but I do not think you understand that because you seem to be incapable of promoting a manual device without resorting to putting down the automatic ones. In most cases you are even exagerating the truth to accomplish your put downs.

If manual switched units are that great then promote the hell out of them but if you need to put down automatic switch units to do so then maybe the manual units are not as great as you make them out to be.

And for the record, air flow modifications can be as simple as turning the mouthpiece sideways and biting down on it to pop out the end cap. Seriously the 901 carts are about the worst design I have seen so far and popping out that end cap makes a world of difference.

The cart on the left gives me great throat hit but the cart on the right is dismal.
05032009170.jpg

So like someone could try that for free or they could spend a bunch of money because manual units are popular.:yawn:

DW

SharonLM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
I can definitely understand what you are saying about the cost and the FDA issue. One thing to factor in on the Screwdriver or the Prodigy, is the batteries only cost about $3 instead of $14 to $21 for manual switched batteries. Over time you will save money due to this big difference. If you haven't seen the link, here is what Steve at puresmoker is planning:

Yes, I think that's a beauty! Perhaps I can afford that one when it becomes available and maybe because it's made here in the US it'll be easier to get the atomizers and I won't have to worry about buying so many up front!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I am not trying to discount them. I am simply pointing out that one can get a throat hit without resorting to a manual device.

You keep mistaking that. I am not putting down manual units. I am promoting automatic ones. There is a difference but I do not think you understand that because you seem to be incapable of promoting a manual device without resorting to putting down the automatic ones. In most cases you are even exagerating the truth to accomplish your put downs.

If manual switched units are that great then promote the hell out of them but if you need to put down automatic switch units to do so then maybe the manual units are not as great as you make them out to be.
DW

Dude, will you stop with the BS! You have this hang-up about all the members that have better experiences with manual switch PV's. And I didn't "put-down" auto switch devices as you say but explained my experience and the experience of many members that consistently states that manual switch devices provide a more consistent throat hit. You don't see posts on here about members complaining about manual switch devices and throat hit like you do auto switch devices. You see the exact opposite. And unlike you, I have both type of devices along with most of the manual switch owners and THUS we can do a true comparison unlike you. Where when it comes to a device like the Screwdriver, all you can do is talk out of your back end which you do quite well.

I have never said you can't get throat hit from an auto switch device, just not nearly as consistently as a manual switched device and that is based on my experience and the experience of many members of this forum.

So do everyone a favor, especially new members and stop attacking what you have no experience in and do not understand.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
I get very consistent throat hits from all my autoswitch equipment.

also wv2win is not being honest. He has changed his tune ONLY because I challenged him...

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../15248-throat-hit-questions-2.html#post248658
I have never said you can't get throat hit from an auto switch device, just not nearly as consistently as a manual switched device and that is based on my experience and the experience of many members of this forum.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/14336-bought-mall-ecig-hate.html#post218163
Most users want an e-vap to provide the “throat hit” that is most like a real cigarette (analog as we call them) as well as long battery life. IMO, the only way to get that is to purchase a manual e-vape that allows you to push a button and heat up the atomizer more before you inhale.

It is called talking out both sides of your mouth. While my poting history on this paticular forum might not be as long as yours, there are no lies or contradictions in mine.

DW

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
dum, stop with the BS and lies!

Originally Posted by wv2win
Most users want an e-vap to provide the “throat hit” that is most like a real cigarette (analog as we call them) as well as long battery life. IMO.....

the point here was that throat hit COMBINED with long battery life required a manual switched with the bigger batteries. So there is no contradiction.

Again to get more consistent throat hit a manual switch PV works better and last longer with a bigger battery. That is supported by all users I have read on this forum who have both type of PV's.

And again, you have no clue because you don't know a thing about manual PV's with larger batteries.

dumwaldo

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
New York
And again, you have no clue because you don't know a thing about manual PV's with larger batteries.

And you know this how? Was it the same source of information that made you incorrectly assert that I only own 1 PV?

Like I told you the very first time you asked me, you spend way to much time talking and not enough time listening or reading.

Please do not posts anything else about me because you obviously do not know me, my experience or anything about me.

Thanks and have a great day.

DW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread