Throat Hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Throat hit mostly comes from nic, although I'd say PG could add some throat hit. IDK. I'd give it a try and see what you end up with. There are also additives to add throat hit, if it winds up being a problem. I personally don't seek much throat hit, so I haven't tried any of them although I have read of others having reasonable success with some of them.

I think you'll still get a throat hit, whether it will be satisfactory to YOU is kind of anyone's guess.

Anna

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yes, but not as much. As AZ & Anna said, higher PG= higher throat hit. Higher nic = higher throat hit. You still can get a little throat hit with neither PG or nic in the juice, but they both increase it. I wouldn't recommend dropping both at the same time. Unless you're pg sensitive -in which case you'd go 0 pg entirely, since dropping 10%% wouldn't help you, I'd say drop your nic, 2 mg at a time, over time. I've dropped from around 20 to 12 mg over a year. But I'm guessing you're re-ordering a juice you've used, and those are your options? Why do you want to drop the PG- to increase clouds?

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I'm currently using VG 60%/PG 40% (18 mg) juice.
Gives a good throat hit.
If I switched to VG 70%/PG 30% (12 mg) juice would I still get a throat hit?

Keep in mind that I'm currently using the Smok Infinix.
Not a sub-ohm device.

I started vaping with 18 mg juice and reduced it slowly over time until I was at zero nic. These days I'm vaping 100%PG at 0.2 mg. I've vaped pretty much every combination of PG/VG there is in the interim.

From that experience my opinion is that you can ignore the change in your PG content from 40% to 30%. That's not enough to make a noticeable difference in TH. What matters is you changed from 18 mg to 12 mg, which will reduce your TH. The difference will be noticeable, but there will still be substantial TH.

TH is very dependant on the amount of nic you inhale, assuming the nic is of the same quality, you're vaping it in the same atomizer and at the same watts. 12mg / 18mg = 0.666, so you'll be getting about 2/3'rds of the TH with the 12 mg juice.

ETA: Corrected the PG % numbers.

Last edited:

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
My initial question came about while searching for different e liquid flavors. I was wondering why so many are 70/30 VG PG and 12 mg or less.

I’m not a cloud chaser. I like MTL. I like a good throat hit. It seems the only way I can get a good throat hit is with 18 mg freebase or 45 mg nic salt. The 18 mg 50/50 or 60/40 liquid options seem to be limited compared to the amount of liquid options for 70/30 with 12 mg or less.

I find it hard to feel satisfied without a throat hit just like a cigarette. I guess a lot of people don’t need a throat hit.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
I really like the flavor options on the 45-50 mg nic salts. But I’ve started to become a chain vaper. I can’t chain vape that much nicotine anymore. Headaches and a nicotine buzz. No good.
That’s why I switched to 18 mg freebase. I’ll still take a puff of the nic salt from time to time.

Just curious. Why is 70/30 with low nicotine so popular?

Storm52

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2014
Shreveport, LA
I really like the flavor options on the 45-50 mg nic salts. But I’ve started to become a chain vaper. I can’t chain vape that much nicotine anymore. Headaches and a nicotine buzz. No good.
That’s why I switched to 18 mg freebase. I’ll still take a puff of the nic salt from time to time.

Because the sub-ohm culture caught fire. Many vendors, who previously provided a variety of nic mg in their lines, have limited the nic to a high of 6mg. Many still stopped mixing 50/50 blends or high pg. Market is driven by the current demand.

APA1

Apr 12, 2018
Because the sub-ohm culture caught fire. Many vendors, who previously provided a variety of nic mg in their lines, have limited the nic to a high of 6mg. Many still stopped mixing 50/50 blends or high pg. Market is driven by the current demand.

Makes sense.
Not judging but just don’t understand the obsession with people who want to vape huge clouds. What is the purpose?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
That stuff is more for the DL vaper. I use 70/30 3mg in my DL set ups, and I wouldn't be able to stand any nic over 9mg in those. The reason that type of juice seems popular is because direct lung vaping is more popular right now and the market will go with what sells the most.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Yeah, okay - just looked up what you're using...looks like the Smok version of a Juul. Very few people that quit smoking and continue vaping use devices like these for long. If you continue vaping, chances are you'll move on to a tank based system, and maybe if you're a tinkerer at all, building your own coils in an RTA (rebuildable tank atomizer). Even if you don't have an interest in building, there are tanks with factory replaceable coils that deliver a much more satisfying (more similar to smoking) vape. I started with an Aspire Zelos, because the Nautilus 2 tank was probably the most popular MTL tank when I quit. And the mod is great, even if you move on from the tank. But there are a lot of other options that are great these days. And all of them will give you the option of choosing from a vast variety of juice, which is just as important as the tank.

Congrats on quitting, and good luck!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Not judging but just don’t understand the obsession with people who want to vape huge clouds. What is the purpose?
The obsession for "more clouds" is pretty much a social thing to impress buddies or themselves, IMHO. I used to see it in the vape shops all the time. It's sort of a competition thing and is IMHO pretty childish. Assuming that you are a guy, did you ever have contests with your childhood buddies to see who could urinate the farthest in the snow?

ivoyh8i32yez.jpg

A lot of these cloud chasers are competing with their buddies to see who can make the biggest clouds. "Hey, look what I can do. Ha ha ha." They get a false sense of pride by clouding up the room.

Concerning the Pg/Vg ratio's of current commercialized e-juice, its been found to be a myth that you need Pg to "carry the flavor". I once ran an experiment by buying two bottles of my favorite juice to determine how much pg/vg ratio's affected flavor. One was a 50pg/50vg ratio, the other was a 100% vg.

Both tasted exactly the same. The one that was 100% vg produced more vapor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread