Status
Not open for further replies.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
I just got a turtle ship mech delivered today. First mech. I have made a silly error and screwed the 510 connection down to stop the rattle but I had the battery in. I had the mech locked and thought a connection wouldn't be made. There was a spark and a teeny tiny flame from my 510. Do I need to throw my battery away? It seems absolutely fine.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A spark and a flame indicates you shorted out the battery. Although the battery may appear ok externally, inside the battery is probably toast. Regardless, its not worth risking trying to use it again. Use a different battery after you figure out what caused the first battery to short out and have fixed the problem.

This is exactly why we suggest newcomers not use a mechanical mod, for safety reasons. You have no protection against short circuits. You are now responsible for yours and other's safety. A shorted battery can vent hot gas into the mod, and if not adequately vented can cause the mod to become a pipe bomb.

For example, in recent news E-Cigarette Explodes in Man's Mouth.

What batteries are you using in that mod, and what ohm coil?

full
full
mod-explosion-1-jpg.426204
full

- Sealed metal tubes will probably explode if a battery vents violently
- Small vents at the bottom of the tube are useless, only very large gas vents near the top have a good chance of preventing an explosion
- Building coils lower than 0.2 ohm will raise the amp draw exponentially and this increases risk - the power graph shows a significant change at 0.2 ohms and starts to climb vertically as resistance is reduced further
- Using cheap batteries with ultra low res coils is a certain route to high risk - it needs 30 amp batteries of guaranteed high quality
- Using a 26650 cell is intrinsically safer as it can take a higher load
- Using long draws or machine-gun draws to create monster clouds stresses the battery much more
- Cloud Contests are events where people put ultra high stress on their rig to create monster clouds; if spectating, you could consider standing at the back of the room to stay safe
- If you run a Cloud Contest then you should probably check that your personal and business insurance is really, really good and is appropriate for dangerous sports
- People are now discussing the safety (!) involved with putting 100-amp pulses on their batteries in order to create the biggest clouds with the lowest resistance coils; there is only one way this is going to go and you don't want to be within the explosion radius: someone may have a counterfeit battery, or one that is just too small for this extreme usage mode together with ignoring the device getting warm or even hot.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I just got a turtle ship mech delivered today. First mech. I have made a silly error and screwed the 510 connection down to stop the rattle but I had the battery in. I had the mech locked and thought a connection wouldn't be made. There was a spark and a teeny tiny flame from my 510. Do I need to throw my battery away? It seems absolutely fine.

The words "Spark" and "Flame" in the same paragraph with "Mech Mod" and "Battery" is Never a Good Sign.

I would Dispose of that Battery. And would Not Even Consider keeping it to use in a Flashlight.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Yeah I know, im a proper fool. I mixed up the battery with 2 fine ones as well, so that's 3 in the bin tomorrow. they are Samsung 25rs and I only had 1 ohm in the atty just to try it out. I have been using regulated devices for about 9 months and did a lot of research and thought id try a mech so i got a clone. I had battery rattle and thought because the device was locked it wouldn't be a problem. I tried to screw the 510 connection in the top cap down. Bad move.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Simple enough.
Inspect battery for any damage/swelling/burnt spots(arching)
Multi meter - Read remaining Voltage.

A Visible Spark outside the Mod does Not necessarily indicate a Battery short. It is an indication of a short contact at the point of the spark.
A momentary spark igniting a flammable source may have been from momentarily shorting the atomizer center pin to Mod ground(body/threading)

Diagnosis before panic.

Sorry for disagreeing with some well experienced Members.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Yeah I know, im a proper fool. I mixed up the battery with 2 fine ones as well, so that's 3 in the bin tomorrow. they are Samsung 25rs and I only had 1 ohm in the atty just to try it out. I have been using regulated devices for about 9 months and did a lot of research and thought id try a mech so i got a clone. I had battery rattle and thought because the device was locked it wouldn't be a problem. I tried to screw the 510 connection in the top cap down. Bad move.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

I Can't think of too many people here who Haven't done something that they Regretted Later. It Happens. Because we are Human.

I just Wouldn't Fool-a-Round with a Battery that has been Sorted in a Mod. Let alone a Mech Mod.

Reactions: JimDrock

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
K cheers guys. Will reading the voltage on a multi metre indicate whether my batteries have had a short? I need to research some more before I end up in trouble. Are there any vids/info you guys would recommend for a newb? Also, which mech mod would you recommend for a beginner? Thanks

Reactions: JimDrock

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
K cheers guys. Will reading the voltage on a multi metre indicate whether my batteries have had a short? ...

Not that I know of.

I guess I'm Funny. Because I was Spending about $175/Month when I smoked. So to Me, if I Shorted a $9 Battery, I wouldn't think Twice about Replacing it.

BTW - How Old is this Battery?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Just re-read your post.
You arched it with a tiny screwdriver and pulled away when it sparked right?
If so:
Screwdriver touched center post(pin) and Body(ground) momentarily.
No damage should have occurred, but Testing is always advised before attempting to recharge(if needed) and use.

I've had this this happen a few(to many) times in 40 years working with DC electronics.

Reactions: Electrodave

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Man, like 3 days, ha. But 3 I have to chuck cos I mixed them up as well. No I don't mind at all. I just wish I hadn't been so stupid. A very small price to pay though. What mech should I get? Forget these clones with their terrible venting.

Yeah... Shorting a 3 Day Old Battery is Kinda a Drag. But Like you said, it is a Small Price to Pay.

I don't really Recommend Mech Mods. I don't know what a Good one Is. And to be Honest, I think people should use Mech Mods at their Own Risk.

Sorry.

Reactions: Electrodave

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
K, Thank you. What tests would you advise? I don't think i'm ready for mechs yet. I need a better understanding of electronics at least. Mechs just feel and look better. Its a shame they can be so difficult to work with. For me anyway

I'm not sure How a Person could do much Testing to a Battery with a Voltmeter besides Checking voltage Before/After charging? But that doesn't tell a Much about what is going on when the Battery is Under Load? And I would be kinda Leery of putting a Battery that has been Shorted in a Charger anyway.

I'm sure there are Ways to Check the Internal Resistance of a Battery. Just not sure what you would Need to do it? Or if it would make sense Money Wise.

My Suggestion would be if you Want to go down the Mech Mod road, start a New Thread and say that you are New to Mech Mods. And that you are Looing for a Quality Mech Mod that has Good Venting.

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Always best to be safe and toss the batteries but, typically, a momentary short won't cause enough damage to be a problem.

Measure the voltages now, place the batteries aside (unless you know which one got shorted), and then measure the voltage tomorrow. If almost no change you should be ok. This can help to identify if any internal damage was caused and it also gives the internal reactions time to settle back down again. When short-circuit testing batteries to pass UN shipping safety tests they have to put any tested batteries aside for 7 days to see if they eventually vent or worse!

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
    Man, like 3 days, ha. But 3 I have to chuck cos I mixed them up as well. No I don't mind at all. I just wish I hadn't been so stupid. A very small price to pay though. What mech should I get? Forget these clones with their terrible venting.

astro telescopic.
    no battery rattle when you have a telescopic mod.

tjeco

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2012
    Manila, Philippines

Unless you want that battery venting and possibly exploding while your using it, then throw that battery OUTTA your house!

93gc40

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 5, 2014
    California
    Unless you want that battery venting and possibly exploding while your using it, then throw that battery OUTTA your house!

Why would one through a battery away when all that happens was a screwdriver shorted the 510 pin to the 510 threads?????????????????? I mean that would mean you need to toss batts after EVERY vape session.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread