Time to put my multimeter out to pasture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonar505

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
All the signs have been there for a while. I would go to check the resistance of my coil and he would seem to get confused and instead show random numbers on display. The same thing would happen when checking volts. It sometimes seemed he would steady out and work fine, but I could never be sure of the results. We had a great run tho. He was at the time a top of the line Fluke 77/AN when I first brought him home in 1985. Perhaps I didn't always treat him as gently as I should have. No complaints tho 28 years of service can't be beat. So with a heavy heart I now think it's time.

I didn't want to make him feel bad by bringing home a shiny new multimeter. So I decided to go a different route. I like the way the Ohmmeter's from madvapes work but not the form factor. I also liked the screw on type volt meters.but again not the forms. In case you may not have noticed I like the look of wood :D . So I bought a ohmmeter display from madvapes and a voltage display from Adafruit and built me some wooden one's. They seem to work great.

Here is how they came out.

meter1_zps064f2eba.jpg

meter2_zpsd4a57ece.jpg

meter3_zps563c8092.jpg

meter8_zpsa9bc20a5.jpg

meter5_zpsf57e884e.jpg

meter6_zps5606a540.jpg

meter9_zps90f7b2b9.jpg

Just FYI making these costs the same as buying a completed one so I didn't do a How to but if anyone is interested in making your own I will gladly share the materials and measurements used.

Oh yea! I learned something new while making these. If you use a soldering Iron on a small magnet you will demagnetize it. :eek:

Thanks for reading any comments or critiques appreciated.

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
That is some dedication indeed. Next I want to see a wooden battery charger :D

Heat is an enemy of neodymium magnets indeed. The negative side should stick, maybe it got warmed too? I use ferritic wire crimps and solder these to the wire and let the mag stick to that. You could solder the crimp and then trap the mag in the other end of the crimp so it doesn't wind up on the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread