Time to quit, Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
alright so lets set this point straight, I don't believe in any of the (EDITED) going around in the states with ban's left and right.

I just want to quit vaping for a year, I have my reasons that I won't get into.
I already limited my vaping I am only allowed to take 2 hits at work in a period of 7.5h
and 1 before bed.
only thing I need help with is removing the urge to take a hit, it's not really an urge, I can stop myself if I want to and force myself to not do it, but nobody likes that, any way to limit it even just a tiny bit?

Last edited by a moderator:

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
The intention of a swear filter isn't to c-i-r-c-u-m-v-e-n-t it.

That said, if you're taking 3 hits a day you might as well try a nicotine spray or gum.

When I quit smoking, a couple of the times I did anyways, that urge never went away. Even months/year after, i'd still have the urge and have to fight every time i'd try to convince myself to smoke just one.

At that point I doubt it's physiological. You need to break the habit. I don't have a secret recipe, but i'd google 'breaking habits' and probably read one of the behavioral therapy articles.

It probably will mean using a fidget spinner, keeping gum or candy on hand, or finding another substitute. I mean, you could always substitute your addiction with collecting pokemon cards.

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
The intention of a swear filter isn't to c-i-r-c-u-m-v-e-n-t it.

That said, if you're taking 3 hits a day you might as well try a nicotine spray or gum.

When I quit smoking, a couple of the times I did anyways, that urge never went away. Even months/year after, i'd still have the urge and have to fight every time i'd try to convince myself to smoke just one.

At that point I doubt it's physiological. You need to break the habit. I don't have a secret recipe, but i'd google 'breaking habits' and probably read one of the behavioral therapy articles.

It probably will mean using a fidget spinner, keeping gum or candy on hand, or finding another substitute. I mean, you could always substitute your addiction with collecting pokemon cards.
I noticed watching youtube videos makes me forget, I want a hit, only thing is I can't watch youtube at work :(

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
You could try deep breathing. Thake a big deep breath, hold, breath out. Do that 3 times before each vape. See if it helps. If it is nic you miss, gum or lozenge or patch would help.
I have and still do it, it helps short term but in longer runs, it doesn't work that well.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
You could switch to 0 nic for a bit. My wife switched from 6mg to 0 nic with no issues. She does still vape the 0 nic but that is more hand to mouth/inhaling habit than addiction now. She wanted to quit because she lost a job opportunity because they "had a zero nicotine use policy and it would one of the things tested for in the drug screen". Now she is nic free.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I just want to quit vaping for a year, I have my reasons that I won't get into.
I already limited my vaping I am only allowed to take 2 hits at work in a period of 7.5h
and 1 before bed.
only thing I need help with is removing the urge to take a hit, it's not really an urge, I can stop myself if I want to and force myself to not do it, but nobody likes that, any way to limit it even just a tiny bit?
How much, if any, nicotine are you using? And are you taking about lung-busting DL hits, or puffs?

If you're getting substantial doses of nicotine from those three hits, the first think I'd suggest is tapering the nic level down over a period of weeks.

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
How much, if any, nicotine are you using? And are you taking about lung-busting DL hits, or puffs?

If you're getting substantial doses of nicotine from those three hits, the first think I'd suggest is tapering the nic level down over a period of weeks.
18mg/ml and the hit is as you describe it lung-busting DL hits lasting about 4-5 seconds each at 40w

Reactions: Opinionated

BigPappa

Ultra Member
Sep 21, 2019
Fort Myers, FL
I couldn't imagine only doing 3 hits a day, I do that every 10-15 minutes and they are 8 second DL hits. If you are down to 3 hits a day, you have already basically quit, you just do not realize it yet. If you are getting that little nicotine per day, dropping down to 3mg or 0mg might be an easy next step, but honestly, you are really already there. Cut the nicotine and then eliminate the hit in the middle, then work on the other 2 one at a time (with a few days in between each step).

Last edited:

Marcel K

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2018
I couldn't imagine only doing 3 hits a day, I do that every 10-15 minutes and they are 8 second DL hits. If you are down to 3 hits a day, you have already basically quit, you just do not realize it yet. If you are getting that little nicotine per day, dropping down to 3mg or 0mg might be an easy next step, but honestly, you are really already there. Cut the nicotine and then eliminate the hit in the middle, then work on the other 2 one at a time (with a few days in between each step).
I really thought that even those 3 hits were too much, but guess I was wrong, most people here seem to say the same thing you are saying, that I have basically quit. Now I just need to find a way to eliminate those 2 hits at work, thats where I struggle, the one before bed will be easy, just work will be a little hard.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
18mg/ml and the hit is as you describe it lung-busting DL hits lasting about 4-5 seconds each at 40w
OK, 18mg DL at 40 watts is a powerful blast of nic.

I would cut back the nic some each week. Go to 15 for a week. Then 12. Then 10. Then 8, and so on. Limit yourself to the same three hits each day at the same power level. Buy some zero nic juice and the math needed to achieve any nic level you want is easy.

Of course this assumes you are able to take some time to do this. If you do not, then go with:

Cold Turkey throw out your vape gear
Maybe not throw it away, but give it to someone to hold onto who will keep it somewhat inaccessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread