Time to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
I've been vaping a bit over two years, and my setup is a Boge standard res carto in a tank on top of a Provari. Trouble is these cartos have become really inconsistent. Many burn or scorch way too fast, even in the first half hour. I don't know what is going on with the manufacturing but it clearly isn't what it used to be.

I've gotten frustrated with my set up and decided to see what is popular these days. I haven't followed any vaping news or trends since I settled into what worked for me. I scanned the boards and saw perhaps a few trends, but I'm out of the loop so I thought I'd just ask. So, what is the crowd favorite delivery method? I'm sure there are a lot of options, but I have neither time nor funds to try 37 different personal favorites. What is the "current standard" 2 or 3 delivery methods guys are using on mods these days? ...and if you're feeling charitable, maybe add pros/cons and maybe your personal feelings?

Thanks!

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
The closest thing you'll find to cartos are the new Nautilus BVC heads. They're mini cartos, with the addition that can be washed and reused... For how long, we don't know. Inside, ceramic filling assures you good flavor. I never liked cartos due to filler flavor.

Also, if you're feeling a little adventurous, you can get a Kayfun Lite plus. Also great flavor and easy to rebuild. I'd go that route.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
"Crowd favorite" is difficult. By tomorrow it may be something new. As Susaz said, the Nautilus (glassomizer) is popular, so is the Sophia, but it's not mentioned much outside of the ProVape or ByLeo forums. The Kayfun/Russian 91% were the Hot Toy awhile ago, but I think the craze is drippers again.

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Have the rebuildables gotten any easier? Back when i was cutting my teeth they were complicated, and finding supplies was a pain.

I have found the Kayfun (and similar styles) easy to build. I have shaky hands and even with a magnifying glass can't see the coils well enough to count the wraps (if that gives you a perspective).

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
You guys are awesome, thanks!

When I scanned the boards, I saw a lot of talk about the Kayfun and Nautilus. Seems you guys are echoing that. Looks like I have some treads to read and google to search tomorrow. Thanks for all the input, and I'll be back to check this thread more before I make any purchases, just in case there is something else I should look into.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
They aren't like the direct dripping attys from days of yore, these are like, I don't know, "cup" like RBAs. You build the coil(s) and drip to keep them wet - so it's like the old way, but with control over the build/resistance and they hold more liquid. This is a popular one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye0hFjz7y0A

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
You guys are awesome, thanks!

When I scanned the boards, I saw a lot of talk about the Kayfun and Nautilus. Seems you guys are echoing that. Looks like I have some treads to read and google to search tomorrow. Thanks for all the input, and I'll be back to check this thread more before I make any purchases, just in case there is something else I should look into.

Personally, I prefer the RTAs (Rebuildable Tank Attys), like the Kayfun, since you can fill the tank and not worry about having to drip to keep the wick wet.

MikeB

ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2011
Louisiana
or if rebuildables seem like too much fuss, I'd do a beyondvape silo tank + nautilus bvc coils or an aerotank mega.

I've been looking into all these options, and the nautilus bvc coil in a silo tank seems like the way to go for me. Maybe I was burned by the early rebuildables, but I remember them just being so much fuss and I guess I'm still leery of them. These nautilus coils look easy, like I am used to, and I have only just started looking at them, but GrimGreen's review is pretty convincing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H8iZlE0xvA). However I don't know what he is talking about between the old nautilus and the new nautilus. I do gather that I would want the new variety, and it appears from the Beyond Vape website that their Silo tank will take them. Is this a good idea, or should I just stick with the standard product and tank from Aspire? Their stock tank thing just looks so small though and I am used to having more juice in reserve than that. I'm currently using a large GP S&P tank, that is beautiful on my provari.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
The KayFun looks really interesting. Im curious though, how long does the build last before I am rebuilding the thing? And how do you know when it's time to rebuild?
That depends on the wicking material mostly.

I use Ekowool so I can use the setup two or more weeks in a row and then I can exchange the wick and keep the coil for another couple of weeks. If you're a cotton kind of guy, you will need to change the cotton every other day. If you use rayon, I hear you can make easily a week.
The coils usually last much more but, once more, it depends on the design you choose. A freehand coil will have to be replaced at the same time as the wick since you would have a hard time pushing the wick through a coil made on another wick. If you make assisted coils, especially micro or full contact coils, you can swap the wick without ruining the coil.

Personally, I rebuild fully once a week just because it's fun and I love experimenting new designs.

Running a parallel 6 / 12 wrap 32 gauge coil at 1.3 Ohms in a kayfun nano right now but my most stable and proven design is a simple full contact coil at 6 wraps with 29 gauge and 1.19 ohm.

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

Last edited:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Usually you can run 4-5 tanks through before dry burning the coil and rewicking. A coil should last about a month.

I have a gunked coil right now though after 3 tanks of Betelgeuse, oops!
I do 4-5 tanks in a couple of days but only dry burn the coil weekly or play with a new setup.... Mostly the latter as I like to rebuild :)

Regards
Tony

Sent from my GT-I9195 through Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread