Titanium hardware question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019
I obviously know that anodised titanium caps are non toxic to vape on. I recently removed the anodizing on my titanium rda cap and now its bare titanium. Instead of re-andozing it I was thinking about changing the color by heat method instead of voltage. Would this make it poisonous? I don't know, that is why I am asking. Any help is acceptable

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I obviously know that anodised titanium caps are non toxic to vape on. I recently removed the anodizing on my titanium rda cap and now its bare titanium. Instead of re-andozing it I was thinking about changing the color by heat method instead of voltage. Would this make it poisonous? I don't know, that is why I am asking. Any help is acceptable

Your titanium cap was anodized?

Titanium Dioxide, which is toxic if inhaled, begins to form at ~600°C

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I obviously know that anodised titanium caps are non toxic to vape on. I recently removed the anodizing on my titanium RDA cap and now its bare titanium. Instead of re-andozing it I was thinking about changing the color by heat method instead of voltage. Would this make it poisonous? I don't know, that is why I am asking. Any help is acceptable
I don't think there's much difference in the end result. "Anodizing" titanium creates an oxide layer, regardless whether it's done with voltage and a borax or acid bath, or with a torch.

Classic vaper

Jan 12, 2019

Attachments

• 2019-08-22_21.30.10.jpg
    2019-08-22_21.30.10.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 39

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Sooo... my cap was toxic to begin with?
Nope, not as long as the oxide layer stayed attached to the titanium. All titanium will form an oxide layer. The question is whether that oxide layer is thick enough to produce an optical interference fringes that make it colorful.

I also think the notion of titanium dioxide being "toxic" if inhaled is overblown. The NIOSH limits for occupational exposure are not particularly low.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Your titanium cap was anodized?

Titanium Dioxide, which is toxic if inhaled, begins to form at ~600°C

Correction: Temperature needed to change the colour of titanium is in the 600°C to 700°C range. Titanium Dioxide begins to form at ~1200°C. Seems I got my facts backwards (drunk again!!)

And @dom qp – that is a beautiful RDA :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread