To clone or not to clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

shurpacabra

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Nope. Clones all day. I'm not spending 200+ dollars on a tube you stick a battery in. VapingwithTwisted420 mentioned "if they can make clones that do the exact same thing for 20 or 30 bucks, maybe the real thing isn't so 'high end'". Most people get clones of the same or close to the same quality as the original.

If you get a clone and really like it, then go for the real thing if you want. Better to spend 20 bucks and be unhappy than 200 and be ....... You could buy 10 clones instead of one mod!

wrxified

Feb 16, 2014
West Michigan, USA
I'm pretty happy with my Kayfun Lite by EHPro. Ordered 2 more so I now have 3 for the price of 1 original. While I think the knock off industry is kind of tacky I more hate the fact that I couldn't have gotten the Kayfun without waiting 30 days or more to spend the $100. Probably would've gone original until I actually got the EHPro in my hands. Can't imagine I'm missing $70 worth of authentic vaping pleasure.

shurpacabra

ECF Veteran
Apr 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Oh man I just realized I totally assumed we were talking about mechanicals haha. Cloned tanks can be a different story. Sometimes you strike gold and get an amazing RDA/Tank/Whatever for CHEAP. Other times, they are machined by an intoxicated blind man and the airholes don't match up and all sorts of other stuff. Just read the reviews and see if you find a common problem in multiple reviews. If it's common enough for multiple people to mention it, theres a good chance it could happen to you too. Maybe not. Cloned mechanicals are a much safer bet because they are, like I said, essentially just tubes you put a battery in.

E Newbie

Dec 14, 2013
Lincoln, NE, USA
To date I've only bought one clone and that is the Nemesis by Hcigar. I've had no issues with it whatsoever.
Based on what I have learned so far I'd say if your on a budget then buy clones. I would suggest buying
them from companies that have a good reputation for quality clones. I always read reviews and watch
youtube videos on any product before purchasing as well.

Personally I'd avoid buying cloned tanks and replaceable coils just because those items can be a bit
more finicky.

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
Sorry. I have purchased 2 kayfun clones. First one had issues with the machining of the bottom fill hole. Second came with the wrong post screws. So now I am into the 2 units for what an authentic Russian would have cost. Not to mention the hassle and mess related to these issues. As far as mods I have to purchase any clones. No issues. All re vv/vw. No issues

Sent from my iPhone

CK101

Moved On
May 8, 2014
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered supplier

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

Kahuna Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Round Rock, Texas, United States
You have to be careful shopping for clones, really do your homework. For instance a Kayfun clone (Confun) might be really nice from EHPro, but a Tobeco version of the same exact thing could be a POS. Same with mechs, the HCigar version of the Nemesis might be rated and reviewed highly, but a Yaliq version of the same thing might have poor materials, shoddy workmanship, etc....

Even then just because HCigar might be regarded as making the best versions of the Nemesis, or Caravela, does not mean their version of the Stingray is any good. Infinite was praised for their version of the brass Stingray, and it was widely regarded as the best version, then they dropped the ball on the black copper Stingray because it has plaguing issues with the switch.

What's worse, even after you read up plenty and decided on the clone mech you want, and the brand who makes it because people are saying they love theirs, and have been impressed by it, and hits like a truck, that is no guarantee of getting a good one. These are after all Chinese clones that are mass produced at break neck speeds because he who gets to market first makes the money first.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Clones have gotten better over the last year from what I've seen....which hasn't been much. I bought most of my equipment before the clone boom and they're authentic. I regret a few of the purchases and would've been happier if I could've tried a clone to see if I liked a device before dropping a lot of money on it. I don't like the aqua at all....even in hybrid mode with the origin . Its a $300+ paper weight to me. Availability with authentic devices is also an issue. I'd suggest getting a clone and if you really like it, try to find an authentic. That is, if your conscience gets to you. On the other hand, I have 6 or 7 authentic kayfuns and a couple authentic Nemesis' that I use everyday. There's excellent clones of both out there now, but I don't regret spending what I spent on the authentic. Cigarettes would've cost way more. Get what you like and can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread