Too young to vape??

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluecat

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Cincy
You are her father and your wife is her mother. As parents you two alone should decide how your kids lives progress. Not us and not the government. There are many things in life that teenagers go through. We, as parent should be supportive and dismissive when those things come up. My wife and I have been offering our 16 year old a small glass of wine almost every Sat dinner since she was 14. She has declined every single time and we just say okay.. do not push either way.

If vaping is harmless I would let my daughter try if she so ever felt inclined. I have talked to her about and if any of the 3000+ students at school use it. About 2 years ago she said she has seen kids with them but after a week or so she never saw them anymore. She doesn't see anyone vaping at all now. Of course, they are too busy sucking face outside the building to put anything else in their mouths. Of course that is another story.

My wife is an inner city school teacher. If all one has to worry about is vaping, they got it easy.

Rlrick

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2014
Carl Junction,Mo
First off I started smoking at the age of 10 yrs.old and smoked for 48 yrs. My parents knew I smoked because my father would send me to get him a lit cigarette and bring it back to him. Now days you could be charged with child abuse (just my opinion) you have to remember there are a lot of people out there watching our community. If you do decide to let her vape it should only be at home and only with you and not her friends. I feel for you for this is a very strong decision you have to make and she does sound like a very responsible person. Good luck on your decision.

JRIP

Sep 21, 2014
I can only assume if someone starts out vaping, then at some point smokes a cigarette they will immediately throw the rest of the pack away and pick up the electronic again. This coming from my early days of vaping for a while then trying a cigarette again... it was nasty.

Basically we are and will be the ONLY generation (you could say) that were committed smokers and switched to vaping. It will be interesting to see how the industry moves forward with the next generation that comes up having the choice of both from the get go. I don't see BT standing a chance and vaping will be the new addiction and I'm good with that.

bholcomb22

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
Denver, CO
I will just say this: If I had a kid I would rather them vape than smoke cigarettes ANY day of the week. Honestly I think that she will probably enjoy the flavors, and may make it very easy not to succumb to peer pressure.

Then, when or if she does try a cigarette she will probably think it is disgusting. I know I did, but kept smoking them anyways, but if she has something else that taste good she will probably be less likely to have a cig habit like the rest of us. I wouldn't look down upon you one bit for getting your daughter a vape.... my parents bought me a couple packs of smokes when I was under age...

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
off topic but....
Its actually pretty easy to have them open up to you. Just be frank and honest with them. Dont be judgemental when they come to you with the most off the wall stuff. That's what my wife and I have done, and it seems to work. And that's with EVERYTHING! yeah, a 17 year old FEMALE askin me stuff bout well, bein a girl.....is akward, but i answer as best as i can. I think she's testin me to see if i'll blow her off or not. But i do my best not to. hope that helps you.

and thnx

I know what you mean, my son always came to me about... stuff about being a boy. :D Though I did let his dad take the 'condom' talk. :blush: But it was me that our son came to, to "come out"... can't say I was thrilled and delighted, but I was happy that he felt able to talk to me about it, because he knew I wouldn't run screaming, or tell him he was a 'sinner'... :facepalm: I just told him that I wanted him to be happy, to be true to himself, and to always choose partners that respected him -- and to always use those condoms! :)

But now that he's a grownup, he's one of my best friends, and probably only the 2nd person in the world that really *gets* me... his dad being the 1st, of course. :D

Andria

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
Haven't read everything so maybe I'm the oddball here but I say no. Actually, that was my response to everything my kids wanted until they turned 21. :D

Really though... transitioning a youngster to vaping because you want them off the smokes is one thing, but just vaping for the sake of vaping at any age makes no sense to me and I really don't know what good can come from it.

Equilibrium

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2014
Georgia
sSig_iagree.gif

If she was already smoking that's one thing but she's not so.....

Amraann

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2011
Florida
I see no problem with it.

Teens have rebelled since the beginning of the human race and humans have had bad habits or addictions since then as well.

My theory on the increase of teen vapors is that if this was 20 years ago the majority of them would pick up a cig. Now they pick up a vape. A vast majority of us here smoked at very young ages. We managed to get cigs and in some cases our parents bought them for us.
I do not really ascribe to the notion that vaping 0 nic is a gateway to using nic. However ..... Even if it actually is.... so what? I do not ever hear people fussing or complaining about teens drinkiing coffees at starbucks or DD's.
They are not ID'd to buy coffee or soda. Heck some schools have soda machines.
IMO nicotine is no more harmful than caffeine.

If she wants to vape 0 nic then let her vape. In the scheme of life this is like the least rebellious thing she can try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread