tooth pulled out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackiej5407

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2011
Houston, TX
I wouldn't do it, it slows the healing time. You'd better think it over real hard.

Really? I had 9 teeth extracted back in June in preparation for implants. I vaped 12 mg from the time I got in the car post-surgery. At the 1 wk and 1 mo. dental check, the periodontist said my gums were healing "great".

Double Helix

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Houston, TX
Well, whaddya know? "They" were wrong ... :ohmy:

I had a minor outpatient surgery and was told not to smoke or it'd slow the healing process. Well guess what? They were right. Just because it turned out fine for you doesn't mean that it will turn out safe for everyone else. I'd list some examples if they didn't break the rules.

I don't know why the people of this forum seem to despise medical professionals. They disagree with you on one thing, and suddenly they lose all credibility. They don't know everything and aren't going to advise you on doing something that isn't safe without going over the possible risks.

Big Me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2014
England
I had a tooth extracted earlier this year and I was warned not to eat, drink or vape for an hour afterwards. Not that I could as my face was so numb. (I couldn't even tell if I was drooling unless I looked in a mirror! lol)

When I did vape, for the first 48 hours I opened the airflow fully and slipstreamed as well. The draw was very light and I had no problem with either a dry socket or with subsequent healing.

I know if you smoke cigarettes, you're advised to abstain for 24 hours afterwards.

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
I had a minor outpatient surgery and was told not to smoke or it'd slow the healing process. Well guess what? They were right. Just because it turned out fine for you doesn't mean that it will turn out safe for everyone else. I'd list some examples if they didn't break the rules.

I don't know why the people of this forum seem to despise medical professionals. They disagree with you on one thing, and suddenly they lose all credibility. They don't know everything and aren't going to advise you on doing something that isn't safe without going over the possible risks.

I don't understand it either.

BTW, doctors telling someone to avoid doing something temporarily means that they are giving that advice based on "best outcome".

Most surgeons, unlike vapers on a vaping forum, have probably performed thousands of surgeries in their field of expertise, and they know about outcomes across large populations.

Anything you read here isn't a scientific study, they are only "anecdotals" from people on a forum.

So, yes, just because it didn't happen to them, and they didn't experience a bad outcome, that doesn't mean that the statistics on surgical outcomes of people who use nicotine should be thrown in the garbage. I trust the record-keeping of my surgeon, and follow their advice......why? Because I trust them to operate on me, so it makes sense to believe them when they tell me about risks and outcomes. THey keep records for a reason..

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
firstly if you suck something, anything with a tooth extraction you risk a dry socket. Smoking cessation whilst having dental is to prevent the dry socket and to promote gum healing.

that being said..if you must..go easy, put some salt water soaked gauze over it..

my daughter had hers out two weeks ago and vaped in the chair, "ah nurses daughter..well you know" *lol*:blink:

avoid it if you can...if you can't go easy on the suction. :)

hope you feel better and got some great drugs *lol*:p

faeriekitsune

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
So. MD
It's all about what you're comfortable with. I had three wisdom teeth extracted earlier this year and was vaping on an EVOD by the end of the day. (Had to wait for the IV sedation to wear off.)

But, like I said, do what you're comfortable with. Keep in mind, I was also the dummy that didn't take a single painkiller after the first dose and only gave myself three days healing time before working 60 hours in three days. :facepalm:

Just make sure to keep that gauze in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread