Not open for further replies.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

I had my neck fused a few years ago. The surgeon told me he wouldn't even do the surgery unless I quit for 2 months beforehand, although he might have just been trying to scare me straight. That was my first shot with cigalikes, which is all there was back then. I didn't smoke for 2 months before and around 3 months afterwards. And then I managed to keep it down to around 4 a day for another 2 or 3 months with cigalikes. And patches. There's nothing like the thought of paralysis to concentrate your mind

He said smoking decreases the amount of oxygen reaching the spine in particular, more so than other parts of the body for some reason, and that degrades the bone rebuilding process. He said the first couple of months is critical. It doesn't just slow it down, it has an effect on the final outcome.

Right before the surgery I was explaining that I hadn't smoked and I pulled out my cigalike to show him. He laughed and pulled one out of his own pocket. Seems like he felt that was OK in terms of the surgery. Or at least acceptable.

Whether he was right about the smoking I guess I'll never know for sure, but I took his word for it. I could barely use my right arm by then and starting to get tingling in my feet. Good as new afterwards.

I did ask him if the reduction in oxygen to the spine could have caused my vertebrae to go bad. He said there was no evidence of that and as far as he was aware smokers weren't more likely to have that particular problem.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
You could always wear a patch for a day. I've been told that dry sockets are agony, so whenever i have teeth out it's a patch and maybe the odd nose vape!
T

Funny you should say that. Last time I had a tooth pulled the nurse was explaining about dry sockets, I said so you're telling me I have to smoke through my nose for a couple of days. She laughed, but I wasn't entirely joking. That was before cigalikes. I held the cig a quarter inch from my nostril and just breathed in gently through my nose. Guess I got enough nicotine to keep my brain happy for a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread